• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine Size

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake

In our group we have one guy with a KTM 400 and he does fine. But more HP and toqure is better as long as weight does not come along with it.
You need a bike that is easy to work on and rebuild when needed. Most of our group rides carb'd KTM's. They have lots of aftermarket accessories avaibable. ie; tanks, pipes, headlights, ect.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I looking at getting into a snow bike setup. What size engine would be the smallest to get? Also, what kind of bike would be the all around best to get?

Thanks

STILL looking? :face-icon-small-ton

450 on up for engine size...best all around bike? Yamahondakawasuzuktm :face-icon-small-coo

(You have PM)

Last edited:

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
I rode a mountainhorse over the weekend. It worked great! After talking to Allen he said the 450's seem to work the best. The higher the motor can rev, the better they work. He had a kit on a 690 ktm and liked the 450's better. The mountainhorse was so easy and went everywhere. It isn't the fastest thing though. I like more power and speed so the hawk still works best for me, but I would love having a mountainhorse also. Best bike kit out there so far.

A
Dec 5, 2008
You could have all the power in the world, if you can't use it right, whats the point. With the mountain horse you can use all of the power and still be in 100% control, granted the snowhawks have more of power, they aren't quite as rider friendly as the mountain horse. Had a blast in cooke city with all the One skiied guys.

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
depends on the riding but generally a 450f is best. I know a guy who rode a 2moto 650 berg and a 2moto kxf450f side by side and he said the 450f was way more fun and felt like it had more power. He said the extra weight of the berg and the ergos of the kxf made it feel lighter and more powerful.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm looking at getting into this sport and was wondering what kind of bike to start looking for. I have looked at a XR650R honda in the past for plain dirt riding. I wonder how this would do in the snow.

Along the same lines, which kit would be the best all around. I know that the kits have strong and weak points. I have been looking at the 2moto and mountain horse kits. I'm wondering with the MH kit, does the Center of gravity change due to that long track hanging out the end of the bike? Or is it even noticed?

Premium Features