• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Elevation suspension testing

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Doesn't removing the torsion springs make the suspension more floppy, i.e., moves more side to side?

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
Doesn't removing the torsion springs make the suspension more floppy, i.e., moves more side to side?
If you are looking to make your sled more or less "floppy", you really need to start with the front ski shock springs. Let me answer your question with a question. If you remove 1 torsion spring (either side) is your sled more "floppy"? (Try a short ride with one spring disconnected. You will need to increase the remaining spring pressure.)
Or can you tell if you have 1 torsion spring on 5 and the other on 1, that it sidehills better on one side than the other? Try that as an experiment
You have 1" side to side movement in the back. You have a "T" bar mounted to either side of your tunnel and then mounted down to your rail, via upper pivot connected to lower pivot. It does not matter where the top bar pressure comes from, it will still move 1" side to side. If you top bar was in 2 pieces or pivoted, then yes, side spring pressure would matter
Put a 150 lb. spring on your front ski shocks, and watch how much more difficult it is to get the rear of your skid to tip side to side.
For those who are looking to stop the rear from pivoting side to side, you will need to address the soft spring rate in the front ski shocks. Just saying

N
Jan 14, 2020
That’s great to hear. I’ll have to stop by and get some of those washers. I’ve got about 300miles on your rear skid kit and I am loving it. Now that I’ve gotten used to it I’d like to try locking out the t-motion and see if it really makes that big of a difference.

Yes. We simply take the play out of the rear heim joint with washers on either side.
No they do not wear out.

Premium Features