• 1. While the brand specific areas are no doubt great areas to find specific information on your sled and model, these areas usually lack information from members who are very knowledgeably about OTHER sleds, setup, etc. Simply because X-Member who rides a Ski-Doo does not go into the Polaris areas that often and vice versa (When was the last time you Polaris riders went into the Yamaha area? Yamaha riders when was the last time you were in the Cat section?)

2. I know there will be clutch threads in these brand specific areas and that is fine, but by posting your clutching questions or advice in this clutching area you will be sharing with a much larger audience. So while X-Rider might not ride the same sled as Y-Rider, he might still have some info to share that will help riders of all brands with their setup.

3. This are will eventually contain everything from how to properly break-in a belt, places that sell clutch parts, a tools section, setups, troubleshooting, rebuild info, spring rates, gearing information, etc, etc.

Thanks to those who contribute and I hope those that know a lot about clutching jump in and get involved. You know who you are!

You will also see that there have been other stickies in this area for each major brand. Within these stickies you will find links to other threads and areas that we think have some value. There is troubleshooting, setup, and general help threads in each. Remember to browse the other brands for they will contain tips that can be applied to any brand of clutch.

Below are a couple of links to two great books that are helpful to those who wish to learn more about clutching. I have read one cover to cover several times and have the other on order.

Olav Aaen's Clutch Tuning Handbook

Cutler's Clutch Tuning Handbook

Currently not available, not sure when it will go back into print

Also if anyone has anything that needs to be added to this please shoot me a PM!

Elevation and clutching.

Nov 12, 2018
So I know carbed sleds are impacted by big elevation changes, so that will effect the power output of the engine causing the need to set up a clutch for the area you ride the most. I don't know alot about clutching, just trying to figure out the possible clutching issues that could happen if I go ride Vancouver island ( 0-4000 feet). Both my sleds (2015 m8000 limited and 2019 alpha one) are fuel injected and set up for 6000-8000 feet. I ride the north Rockies in B.C. the most, I live in the Peace area. Do you guys think there will be a performance change at low elevations?

Oct 4, 2015
Montana
The motor will run fine due to the ECM adjusting fuel/air/timing for the altitude, but it will over-rev out of your power band due to the lighter (high altitude) clutch weights. A N/A motor will make less power at altitude due to the thinner air, thus the need for lighter clutch weights at higher altitudes. If it's only infrequently that you ride at lower altitude, I'd just live with it & ride easy. Your other option is to install adjustable clutch weights & tune them for your intended riding areas. Primary & Secondary spring rates play a role too, but this gets more into more advanced clutching magic that I leave up to the experienced gurus that will tune my sleds for me.

Premium Features