• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Elevate With Post Forward

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Does anyone here run a post forward kit with their Elevated Cat? Feel any better or worse compared to stock post with the Elevate geometry?

I've been running the vertical t-top post setup since 2014, but thinking about switching it up. I run my riser 1-1/2" tipped forward and there have been a few times over the last two seasons that it has folded forward on me when I wish it didn't. I realize it can be sort of a safety mechanism to protect parts and the rider from damage, but when it goes at the wrong time it's dangerous as well. I keep an Allen wrench in my pack to fix it when it does fold, but if I had the laydown post more of what is the forward force now would be directed more in-line. Maybe prevent riser folding in some of the medium impact situations? There have also been a couple times turning in tight spots where the inside bar end is jabbing me whereas it might swing down out of the way if it was laid down more. I stood on a proclimb with a 3" post forward kit and that was uncomfortable for me so I'm thinking something mildly forward, but solid like the OFT Turcotte kit. The laydown steering doesn't bother me when I swing a leg over a G4 ski-doo so I think I could adapt to it. Just don't want to go too far messing with handling. Especially since I'm already going to be off in left field a little with Elevate spindles and a Kmod skid.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I like the rider position of the laydown cat 'race' style post. But as far as the rest of it... Its a massive reduction in control in tech terrain IMO. I think your minor sacrifice you make with your bars folding right now is a better compromise then the one your about to make. But then again I hate the laydown post on both cats and doo's. Its the most anti mountain setup you could make IMO.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
The problem with the laydown post in the Cat is that it's layed back so far you can't load weight on one side of the handlebar without turning the skis you can only steer by loading your weight on the running board. To correct this you would need a big post forward movement too. The sled is virtually unridable in technical terrain and I was a longtime doo rider before switching to Cat so I am comfortable with laydown steering.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The problem with the laydown post in the Cat is that it's layed back so far you can't load weight on one side of the handlebar without turning the skis you can only steer by loading your weight on the running board. To correct this you would need a big post forward movement too. The sled is virtually unridable in technical terrain and I was a longtime doo rider before switching to Cat so I am comfortable with laydown steering.

Its like going back to Rev style laydown post. The XP got steeper, then the XM, then the G4. The cat laydown is like starting over.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Hmmm interesting. I'm a big guy and pretty much steer with my feet as it is, but sounds like I might want to avoid this experiment. I can Doo the G4, but not a XP or Rev. Might just have to look into putting a heavier knurling on the top of my T-post to prevent slipping. The job Cat did on it is pretty pathetic.

One thing I was thinking about that I didn't mention is that a more laydown post setup should be an improvement over a vertical when directing the front of the sled up or down. If you pull back or push forward on a laydown post, it's tied right to the front of the sled and more directly transfers that force vector. With the vertical post you're relying on whatever moment you can exert on the post. Maybe that's why some people think the Ski-doo does downhill maneuvers and J-hooks better. I totally get why the vertical post is better for side to side maneuvers.

Last edited:
B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Do you just straighten up your riser and continue or pull it apart once home and clean it up? The aluminum from the riser fills the knurling basically as soon as it moves. I had a sled that was bad for this so I hit it with a wire brush really well and cleaned it all up then put red loctite on the mounting surfaces and lubed the bolts so I could crank on them without damaging threads and it was good after.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I just straighten it in the field and re-tighten to get through the day. Once home I take it all apart and use a wire brush on the T-top to get all the aluminum shavings out of the knurling.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Boondocker
I put a 3 inch post forward kit in my 2016 800 turbo that has 174 Kmod rear skid.
It still has the original spindles on the front but it does have the dropped chain case.
I wish now that I wouldn't have done this and may switch it back to verticle steering.

Premium Features