• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric starter and the 7S durability

J
Nov 13, 2015
Sweden
Just snowchecked for my wife a Khaos 155 slash, with electric starter and the 7S.

Does anyone have info on the starter, weight and where is the battery located now?, will the added rotating weight be noticeable?

7S, any of the test units been broken by rolling the sled getting unstuck? Oh, or that never happens to the pros perhaps?
Feels a bit exposed up there....

BTW, the 165" Axys Khaos I have now is by far the best sled I tried among all others this year, and now even better stuff, I am impressed! Polaris will lead for a number of years now that is clear.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I don't have any answers but was thinking the same thing about the 7s. I would be much more apprehensive to roll my sled out of a stuck with the $1000 screen exposed on the top.

M
Oct 27, 2020
I heard electric start adds 20 pounds which is quite a bit to me. I snow checked a pro boost but gave to admit skidoo has a clear advantage with the SHOT start system.

J
Nov 13, 2015
Sweden
Any battery recommendations?, I have bad experiences from Lifepo4 on race cars, they have been a bit too sensitive if you don’t have them on charge all times on the cold.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Starter system on matryx pretty much the same as axys. While thing is about 25lbs, just the battery and tray is 16lbs.
Asfar as rolling the sled over, I think the higher, rounder grovebox, windscreen will make it roll easier. Unless your rolling over a rock or stump, I doubt there will be problems with the 7s

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Any battery recommendations?, I have bad experiences from Lifepo4 on race cars, they have been a bit too sensitive if you don’t have them on charge all times on the cold.
Look up CV Customs. You can drop a ton of weight. My current AXYS has a lightweight Lithium battery and box by another manufacturer. Probably will not be able to start the sled on cold mornings, but will work fine after the sled warms up. My current battery is 5yrs old and still works fine.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Look up CV Customs. You can drop a ton of weight. My current AXYS has a lightweight Lithium battery and box by another manufacturer. Probably will not be able to start the sled on cold mornings, but will work fine after the sled warms up. My current battery is 5yrs old and still works fine.

This is my plan........

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
I will be coming out with a lightweight battery kit for the e-start sleds once I get my snowcheck. I make one for the axys and the whole kit weights the same as the factory battery box. The kits goal, like on the axys, will also be to keep it away from the quick drive so I case of a failure you don’t have remove a battery box to get the new belt on. The end weight of the whole system with my kit is around 8lbs on the axys. Here is a link for reference.

AXYS Lightweight Estart Kit

In terms of battery durability I have had good luck with the Antigravity 8 Cell battery that is used in the kit. I have tested the starting down to 15 degrees and the battery will start the sled but I have not been in a situation where it has been colder then that. First starts are usually in the garage or heated trailer. Worst cause scenario is you have to pull start the first time and you are good for the rest of the day. I did have one battery go bad that was on its 2nd season and the key was left on in the trailer over the summer so the PIDD gauge drained it down. I usually just disconnect the estart harness from the chassis harness for storage but with the damn rona this year I was unable to make it for my last trip of the season and the sleds sat out west in storage over the summer...

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I will be coming out with a lightweight battery kit for the e-start sleds once I get my snowcheck. I make one for the axys and the whole kit weights the same as the factory battery box. The kits goal, like on the axys, will also be to keep it away from the quick drive so I case of a failure you don’t have remove a battery box to get the new belt on. The end weight of the whole system with my kit is around 8lbs on the axys. Here is a link for reference.

AXYS Lightweight Estart Kit

In terms of battery durability I have had good luck with the Antigravity 8 Cell battery that is used in the kit. I have tested the starting down to 15 degrees and the battery will start the sled but I have not been in a situation where it has been colder then that. First starts are usually in the garage or heated trailer. Worst cause scenario is you have to pull start the first time and you are good for the rest of the day. I did have one battery go bad that was on its 2nd season and the key was left on in the trailer over the summer so the PIDD gauge drained it down. I usually just disconnect the estart harness from the chassis harness for storage but with the damn rona this year I was unable to make it for my last trip of the season and the sleds sat out west in storage over the summer...
The starter and ring gear plus your kit is 8 pounds? I have your kit and so does my buddy. Awsome kit. When you first get the kit and look at the battery you think no way. Have never pulled the rope. Starts like a champ and more bang for your buck than a can. I put a wps battery on a 16 axys turbo. My buddy still has it. Battery still works but you have to hit the key then let it think then hit the starter again. You have to play this game for a minute or two, in the morning, until the battery warms itself up. After that you are good to go. The anti gravity in cvs kit just starts. Will be getting two more kits this fall.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
WPS Li-ion less than 2 lbs. and Bikeman makes a lightweight battery box that shaves another pound. Don't know if it is true but a guy told me yesterday that if you get the 7s display you will have a battery so might as well have the e-start. And my wife is all over the new heated seat that you can get with the 7s ... seems there just really isn't enough details available yet on alot of things.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Any insights into the charger for the 8 cell anti-gravity? Have done the Earth-x before and have a LiFePO4 optimate charger. Not doing Earth-x again - too many failures for no good reason.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
This is the battery you get with the S7 display. Allows you to use the display without the engine running.

486C87BA-BECE-4796-9CEC-FD50907C7FF4.png

D
Dec 15, 2020
As far as rolling your sled... I have a 21 Matryx Switchback Assault 146 (w/ 7 display) I had in WY steep and deep a few times this year and with a 146 track with 2inch lugs I got stuck quite a bit and rolled her many of those stuck moments. I'm here to tell you that you have now worries! I rolled her end over end and sideways without worrying a bit. Only thing that would hurt that 7 is a rock and honestly it would have to be a REAL unlucky day for that screen to hit.. It really is no different than your Axys gauge as far as it being something you need to worry about on a roll.. Dude I worried also but Im here to tell you STOP! Polaris has this figured out and I put mine through hell at 10,000 ft in trees and 5ft+ ft of snow rolling that heavy bitch every witch way at least 50 times. Spend the $ and quit thinking about the minute chance it gets hit.. That 7 saved my ass finding my way back to my friends when I was lost In the Madres..

D
Dec 15, 2020
As far as rolling your sled... I have a 21 Matryx Switchback Assault 146 (w/ 7 display) I had in WY steep and deep a few times this year and with a 146 track with 2inch lugs I got stuck quite a bit and rolled her many of those stuck moments. I'm here to tell you that you have now worries! I rolled her end over end and sideways without worrying a bit. Only thing that would hurt that 7 is a rock and honestly it would have to be a REAL unlucky day for that screen to hit.. It really is no different than your Axys gauge as far as it being something you need to worry about on a roll.. Dude I worried also but Im here to tell you STOP! Polaris has this figured out and I put mine through hell at 10,000 ft in trees and 5ft+ ft of snow rolling that heavy bitch every witch way at least 50 times. Spend the $ and quit thinking about the minute chance it gets hit.. That 7 saved my ass finding my way back to my friends when I was lost In the Madres..
so more to story being lost in Madres... Blizzard blew in on us..
I could barley see tracks I put down 10 minutes b4 and I basically slowly followed the map that the screen provided of my previous tracks and followed them back out to the "meeting place" (I Love having this tech on board! )(GPS, Temp, Elevation, trail maps, and Polaris rider connection )... I wouldn't buy one another way PERIOD! Side part of the lost story is I had somehow found another of my lost Buddys on way back. With his new 21 Ski-doo 155 and he followed me to the meeting point. When we got to meeting spot he said if I wouldn't of ran into you I don't know if I would've found my way out this fast at all.. He went on and asked me how I could follow my tracks so closely on the way out and I showed him my screen.. He Put an order in for the new 165 pro Slash snow check and is selling his Doo..

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Are you or your wife going to notice 20 lbs? Specifically your wife, you did say it’s her sled.

I don’t think the average rider would notice 20 lbs. I’ll be honest and I doubt I’ll even notice 10-15 lbs!

This whole weight savings BS was started by Burandt and he’s shaving ounces and claims he notices every ounce saved, I’m calling BS! It’s all a business approach.

Yes, the sleds have come a long way for weight savings since the trailing arm days which is good. If one is questioning an additional 20 lbs for ES and a 7S LUXURY, then it must be tough to question first world problems.

I’m not just questioning the OP, I’m questioning the entire snowmobile world!

Last edited:
Premium Features