• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric start

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Polaris' e-start adds 30 pounds? Not 20??

I believe the battery is already 13 lbs and the starter motor is pretty close to equal that, now ring gear and battery tray and wiring harness it adds up fast. 20 would be with light weight battery. But someone can correct me if I am wrong as I am only going from memory.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I believe the battery is already 13 lbs and the starter motor is pretty close to equal that, now ring gear and battery tray and wiring harness it adds up fast. 20 would be with light weight battery. But someone can correct me if I am wrong as I am only going from memory.

Found this on SnoWest from a 2017 post:

26 lbs complete without the ring gear
-battery, wire, battery rack, and the electric start assembly

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I weighed an e-start for my 850 with all the components and it came in around 27# with the stock battery and about 15# with an lithium ion battery. I ended up taking mine off due to the rotating weight penalty. It seem to cause it to rev slower and feel more lazy. I am glad I took it off, I do love the e start but the trade off wasn't worth the performance loss. I am currently running no estart and non estart stock clutch.

The Skidoo SHOT or even the electric start setup is way better than polaris or cat setup.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Think I've said it before, but if pulling the handle gets to bothering you by the end of the day, then you'll notice the convenience of e-start long before you notice the extra weight. For the average rider, at least. Rode a rental that had it for a day, and it wasn't something I'd spend money on. On my sled, I'd probably have ditched e-start if it had come with it. It's a 600 though, and warmed up it starts with a half pull at that. Doo was brilliant to develop shot, finally they can claim weight parity* with Poo! I've heard the way shot works, Polaris couldn't just copy it (needs direct injection) even if they could. Still, you'd think there's a way to take the concept and make it work; anything to get away from a heavy motor and battery. That technology is 100 years old now!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My battery on my 16 axys was 14 pounds. Wps battery and bikeman battery box took 12 pounds off. I think diamond s claims 11.6 weight savings. I'm putting a skins tank seat combo on my wife's sled. It takes another 8 off. Mainly to get rid of seat and oil tank on clutch gaurd. That and a skins front end. More than muted estart out.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I live in realville. Whether you have it or not, +95% of riders over 30 would benefit from it after the 10th restart on the side of a hill, and that's probably before lunch. With a LW battery and can, 99% of us would be better riders with it than without it. We're only a 1%'er in our mind's eye. Hey - there's a reason that SHOT is one of the FIRST things EVERYONE (who's not a real 1%er) likes about the G4.

9 out of 10 guys I ride with could easily lose at least 10 - 30 lbs. At least. Wanna really ride better and longer - we need to take a honest look in the mirror without the onesie, first. It's not e-start that's bonking guys in your group by mid-afternoon, or day 3 of a 5 day ride.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I live in realville. Whether you have it or not, +95% of riders over 30 would benefit from it after the 10th restart on the side of a hill, and that's probably before lunch. With a LW battery and can, 99% of us would be better riders with it than without it. We're only a 1%'er in our mind's eye. Hey - there's a reason that SHOT is one of the FIRST things EVERYONE (who's not a real 1%er) likes about the G4.

9 out of 10 guys I ride with could easily lose at least 10 - 30 lbs. At least. Wanna really ride better and longer - we need to take a honest look in the mirror without the onesie, first. It's not e-start that's bonking guys in your group by mid-afternoon, or day 3 of a 5 day ride.

SHOT is cool but the Polaris engineers don't need to make my sled cost thousands more for something I don't need. And I am turning 55.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
The SHOT thing only works for about a year. Many riding partners I've had have one or two year old I'm guessing Capacitors and they only hold charge for a half hour or hour. Dealer says it's only $150 to replace them .

lrs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Litchfield, MN
For years I thought e start was for woosies. Then, at age 60, my right shoulder rotator cuff went bad. Had the surgery. The post op lasted 4 months before it quit hurting. I never want to go through that again. So in 2015 went to e start. Got it again on my 19 850. Will not go back. When I have pulled the older sleds in the morning, I can feel the strain on the shoulder. I have not noticed a difference in weight, but then I don't ride nearly as hard as I used to.
Two years on the 19, same battery. When engines are warm, they all start with a quick, easy pull these days unless there is a problem. My opinion.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The SHOT thing only works for about a year. Many riding partners I've had have one or two year old I'm guessing Capacitors and they only hold charge for a half hour or hour. Dealer says it's only $150 to replace them .

When SHOT came out, Doo said it was typically good for 30 minutes. Seen some start after taking an hour lunch break.

I ride with people that have had SHOT for 3 seasons - no issues.

It's a cool idea. Gotta be a way to go the ultra-capacitor route on a Poo too.

Premium Features