• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric Start

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
You can find electric start components on ebay. I just put electric start on on a couple of XLTs and I got both from ebay. One of them was a complete used setup that came with the clutch, and one was a brand new kit that came with a new ring gear but I had to buy a clutch seperately (bought a used one cheap and rebuilt it).

Here's a link to the brand new kit I bought. It says it's for a 99 to 03 Indy 340, but it will work on a lot of different sleds. I looked up all the part numbers and the battery box is the only part that is specific to the 340. I put one on a 97 XLT and it works perfect. I even managed to mount the battery box. It even comes with instructions, but there are a couple of typos that are a bit confusing until you realize they are typos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0078115138&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
*** Caution ***

Be Very Careful:

I bought my wife a '98 Indy 500 several years ago and promised to add 'lectric start for her.

Well, Polaris got cheap and never cast the mounting lugs into most of the cases that did not ship with 'lectric start. So, no can do. She's not happy.

Look at the front of your engine cases and make sure it has threaded holes for bolting on a starter 1st..........

Premium Features