• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric smoker/grill

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I have a charcoal and propane smokers. I do pretty well with them. We were at TRS's this winter riding and he had a Green Mountain. Whoooaaa that thing was awesome. I know there are some higher grade like Memphis. Purists say it's not smoking. I am busy, I don't have time to babysit the smokers all the time. I do love me some BBQ though.

Are there any downsides to the electric smoker grills?

TIA

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Glad I am not the only one that is a meataholic.

I know it won't have quit the same flavor as a charcoal, propane or wood smoker. I am ok with that. Things that have long run times, pork shoulder and brisket are my biggest problems. Most of those need to go on the night before to get them done in time for my family.

So I am interested in what down sides I am missing.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Nothing beats charcoal for flavor. I have a Mastercraft electric smoker. It works well. Simple to use. Set it and forget it for the most part. My biggest complaint is I cannot create heavy wood smoke like I can with the charcoal smoker.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I have one of these http://smokintex.com/ that has worked really well in all seasons. I have a charcoal that I tend to use more but the electric is nice for those days when you just want to put the meat on and do your thing. I've done ribs, shoulder, chicken, turkey, brisket, and whatever else we think of in it.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Don't I need to babysit the big green egg. Like shoulders, I like to put on at 8-10 pm for the next day. I don't really like to get up in the middle of the night and check on it.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
I have a Traeger and have had one before they were even cool. Have been completely rebuilt twice. Smoked 1000's of lbs on it. Still learn how to do new and different things every day. Beauty is, fill it with pellets, push a button, throw the meat on and walk away.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have done a years worth of research, reading hundreds of pages about electric smokers and its the only way i would smoke.

MES bluetooth 40in. And an amps pellet smoker. Here's 1,100 posts to read!
Must be the bluetooth model, the older ones had issues.

New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/172001/new-mes-bluetooth-digital-smoker

GS6

Last edited:

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Don't I need to babysit the big green egg. Like shoulders, I like to put on at 8-10 pm for the next day. I don't really like to get up in the middle of the night and check on it.

I do 16-18 hr smokes all the time and never even look at it. It's the most efficient smoker money can buy.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I've owned many smokers and none of them come close to the BGE IMO. Electric is easy but you will never get the flavor of a lump charcoal/wood smoker.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I have done a years worth of research, reading hundreds of pages about electric smokers and its the only way i would smoke.

MES bluetooth 40in. And an amps pellet smoker. Here's 1,100 posts to read!
Must be the bluetooth model, the older ones had issues.

New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/172001/new-mes-bluetooth-digital-smoker

GS6

Your research didn't provide one simple fact, how many competition BBQ teams use electric smokers. FEW

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I do 16-18 hr smokes all the time and never even look at it. It's the most efficient smoker money can buy.

Wow... maybe I need both the green egg and a Green Mountain. :face-icon-small-ton

I was thinking as much for the grilling as smoking. My wife doesn't like to use our gas grill. I thought the set it, and walk away might be nice.

Good good info newmy.. I have a customer that swears by the Green Egg too... I may have to ask him about it too..

Electric smokers are illegal for bbq comp aren't they?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Is there any good sites on the Green Egg, like use? How do you add wood for smoking or doesn't it take much?

Top Notch

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Hartford, S.D.
www.topnotchdetailing.biz
I use both Louisiana and Green mountain. Both are good but with the Louisiana you can slide a cover to get direct flame on the food. Makes a big difference on steaks. If you wanna try the green mountain you're more than welcome to. I use the Louisiana for all the main grilling we do. The Green mountain gets used when I have to cook a bunch.

Top Notch

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Hartford, S.D.
www.topnotchdetailing.biz
Another thing I've found with the pellet grills is what type of pellets to use. I've tried a bunch of different kinds and always go back to Green mountain brand. Been using their fruitwood pellets which gives good flavor. I usually get a pallet a year since they came out with them.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Is there any good sites on the Green Egg, like use? How do you add wood for smoking or doesn't it take much?

Join the group "Big Green Egg BBQers if you are on Facebook. You will get a ton of great info. if not on FB there are many websites for the BGE, they have a cult following.

Warning. If you join the FB forum, join but don't follow or you will be eating BBQ every day:) I go in to the group once per week and catch up because the posts/pics were making me hungry every day.

It's great for ton of other cooking as well. 700+ degree grilling steaks etc, baking, pizza you name it.

As you can tell I am a huge fan after having owned many other smokers.

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
I have owned several full wood smokers, Electric smokers. The only smoker I will ever use again is my Traeger smoker. I use it literally once a week for either just grilling up burgers or smoking a 30 pound brisket for 16 hours. I have had 5 family members come over for dinner and the go out and buy their own trager because they loved the food.
You don't have to babysit at all. Just make sure the hopper is full and your done.
I have a propane grill and an electric smoker just sitting in the garage that never get used. You are welcome to have them if you want.:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features