• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Egt sensor

A
Oct 29, 2020
Gaylord Mi.
Hi all. I have a question about the egt sensor in my 06 900. I just bought the sled last summer and went thru it over the summer. I went out for my first real ride, and after roughly 40 miles my service light started blinking 5 times. On the way home i shut it off and had a pain in the ass getting it started again. It was then backfiring up top whenever I'd pin it. I have 125 lbs on both cylinders. It has a full slp exhaust on it and from what I've been reading the egt sensors are known to go especially with an aftermarket exhaust. Local dealer said they could not get me in till the end of January to plug into the digital wrench. My question is checked the wiring then pulled my sensor which as en elbow bend on the probe and all the ones I'm finding online are straight?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M
Aug 20, 2020
Check your ground to the egt first, shares with tps and coolant sensor first, if all good grounds pull sensor and us fine sandpaper to clean soot off, I'm betting you have a ground issue, known problem, had to redo the factory wiring where the 2 grounds tie into one wire under the coolant bottle area.

A
Oct 29, 2020
Gaylord Mi.
Thank you Mark appreciate the info. I pulled the pipe off and looked for the ground to no avail. Its tight in there.The new sensor showed up while I was at work so I went ahead and threw it on there. Started with no service light. I took it it for a ride it was running decent just had an intermittent backfire here and there. Always up top. Wondering about the tps on it. Looks like I'm gunna need a few tools. Also my voltmeter reads 1 to 2 bars from full power constantly while running. Is that right?

M
Aug 20, 2020
Check your throttle play (for the back fire) might be a little lose and also look where the cable come out of casing at jam nut at throttle body might be frayed or 1 or 2 strands broken can cause cable to do weird thing with the safety switch on thumbttrottle,if so replace cable and there is a video on setting tps with a volt meter, its in this 900 forum somewhere. I just resurrected a 900 its been a learning experience, good sled if running rite it will rip your arms off when you hit the happy switch.

M
Aug 20, 2020
Check your throttle play (for the back fire) might be a little lose and also look where the cable come out of casing at jam nut at throttle body might be frayed or 1 or 2 strands broken can cause cable to do weird thing with the safety switch on thumbttrottle,if so replace cable and there is a video on setting tps with a volt meter, its in this 900 forum somewhere. I just resurrected a 900 its been a learning experience, good sled if running rite it will rip your arms off when you hit the happy switch.
I'm in Muskegon if you need some help over phone you can email your number to me and I'll be happy to help if you need it mark904164@gmail.com

A
Oct 29, 2020
Gaylord Mi.
Sure do appreciate all the help and info Mark. They are awesome sleds. I've been slowly going thru it. There is a lot of good info on this forum about them. Glad its here for us. Gunna check the tps and throttle cable out as soon as I have a chance. Swamped and short staffed at work right now. I will be emailing you my number too. Glad to run into someone close working on the same sled. Getting some goodies for it coming soon too from mountainhorse off here. Im excited. Thank you Mark.

A
Oct 29, 2020
Gaylord Mi.
Howd your sled turn out? Have ya gotten a chance to get it out yet. Snow is starting to accumulate up here again, we had more the week before Christmas and the warm up.

Premium Features