• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Easy trail ride gone way wrong, story and lessons learned…

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Snohomish-Plain, Washington
Easy trail ride gone way wrong, story and lessons learned…

Unwanted Christmas Eve adventure...

My riding buddy asked if I wanted to go to Blewett for a trail ride with him and his dad. I wanted to do a short local ride and get some stuff done around the house and be home on time for Christmas Eve.

They headed out early Friday morning and I soon took off to meet up with some other friends here. Getting close to home I checked my phone, at about 3:30pm to see if I was in trouble yet and had a message that sounded a little frantic…

“Help, my dad (70) is stuck down a hill and I don’t know how to get him out and only 2 cars left in the lot, calling 911!”

Called him back and sounded like he was talking to the state patrol and two guys returning to the parking lot. Said they (911) wouldn’t call for search and rescue unless he was hurt and the soonest they could mobilize was in the morning. Told me “I need you here and get a lot of help”.

I’m thinking how bad can it be? They took old sleds and they wouldn’t go anywhere too difficult, so he must just be stuck real badly?

He explained that he stupidly took him down a single track that he assumed connected two groomed roads and it got progressively steeper and then a big drop that with no way to climb back out (given the sleds and experience). I asked how he got out and he said he followed a set of tracks up and down some climbs and back through the woods to the lower road. I then asked so what’s the problem? "Dad is 70, very tired, too inexperienced to make the climbs and no way to walk up them". “I’m really worried about his health”.

Ok!!! I’m on my way and I’ll call around… Got there at 5:30 and another buddy was there at 5:45.

The last two guys in the parking lot are local riders from the Wenatchee area and were Awesome Awesome Awesome!!! They headed in with some road flares earlier to get to him, start a fire and be sure he was ok until we could get there. This was on Christmas Eve; already in trouble with their wives for being out late. Huge THANKS to them!!!

We (the calvary) headed in (had three others on reserve if it was real bad, knowing we could always get back to the truck to call) with a ton of food and gear not knowing what to expect.

It was snowing harder and the tracks were getting covered, we stopped once at another trail head, looked like the one, but didn’t have sign. Further worried us as to the potential difficulty just getting back to the original spot and whether the advance team may be on the wrong trail too. We went up the road and found the correct trail with fresher tracks in. Winded our way in and soon found the fire light!!! Made the steep drop into the area, with no certain chance of not damaging a sled or rider, used a root ball at the bottom to stop.

Found the dad to be in good spirits, although very tired, gave him a change of socks warm coffee and some reassurance.

Started to see keeping the fire burning was going to be a chore and was not getting us out of there; so we all decided to get on the way. Only one in the group had been in there and out and could tell that it was going to be difficult to get good riders with decent machines out let alone the 550 two-seater with a inexperienced exhausted rider. In the daylight with no worries this would be a fun ride, but in complete dark with heavy snow it was a little more complicated…

The first obstacle was a moderate climb to a notch, that was easy, just looked harry in the dim head light and the first rider lost the side hill and ended up in the creek draw. I was in the rear and did not see it so there was added confusion once we got everyone up. Saw a lower line to our next spot for the guy in the creek draw. The 550 and rider made it near the top and dragged him over. Next was a steep, uncontrolled decent with ok run-out, no serious problems. The next climb was uneventful other than an easy stuck for the 550, then the leader stopped and asked “did anyone see a trail back a ways?” Oh crud you are lost now??? “Well I climbed something, rolled my sled, and then made it to the wooded trail”. The new snow had covered the days tracks and no land marks were visible so finally, after I made a short backtrack with no sign of another route, two guys made the hike up the steep side hill climb to scout for the path. After confirming the way we all knew the little sled was in trouble. We thought that everyone would make the climb and pack the trail leaving me to ride the buddy’s dad out with me and I’d hike back to ride the 550 out. After two attempts where it was clear there was no way and no strength left in the dad. I called a break and made him drink water and eat a sandwich helping him relax and maybe get some strength back. Meanwhile I had the guys walk the upper hill to pack the trail and I stomped the approach at the bottom. I told my buddy’s dad he had to make it or spend the night snuggling with me! (hummor to help ease the tension)Then told him how easy the climb is on my sled, explained some throttle control and some other basics and let the others know the plan was to have him ride the mountain sled, even though he was unfamiliar and afraid of it. It was the only way as he was soo tired he could hardly take a step.

The path was ready and pre positioned people at stop points. He made it the first shot, then very close to the next, close enough to pull it the rest. I somehow muscled the 550 out, with a few side to side jumps and some heavy outer leg assistance, wish I had a video, because it was a fluke!

We were on a moderate side hill, actually better it was dark so no one could see what was to the right (steep line of big trees at the bottom) when the lead sled died! After some flooding remedies it started and only one tree impact (my sled with other rider, was ok no damage) later we were back on an old road and 20 minutes to the truck.

Thanks to the two guys who stuck around to help out!!! Christmas Eve Heroes for sure!
Thanks to the other buddy who came an extra 50 miles to help and really kept a level head and did an amazing job building a road out of the mountain!!!

Aside from the 200+ “what the heck were you thinking” that the buddy got whiles this “rescue” was taking place and since; I totally understand how it happened...

I’m sure there are more reasons but these represent how it happened or mistakes…
1. He took older sleds thinking it would keep him from pushing it
2. He got bored and wanted to adventure, even a little (human nature, not necessarily a mistake)
3. Fixation on the goal of the lower road being “close” rather than cutting losses and turning around in a narrow trail and dealing with a few stucks.
4. Not disusing hand signals for “don’t follow me down this steep hill” or having a huddle to discuss the “plan”

They were averagely prepared with some extra clothes, fire starter (not adequate or practiced), space blanket, water, food for the day, some extra food (snack bars and candy), GPS, Cell, and few other minimums.

Lessons learned:
1. Make great friends that will load and be at your side in an hour!!!
2. Sh+t happens and you can easily end up in a environment not prepared for
3. Recognize that when situation gets more stressed forced decisions and panic can lead to more trouble
4. Stick to the plan and plan for the lowest ability level (Still an Adventure???, if out there for an adventure plan more) See #2
5. Practice starting fire, establish a base for the fire to contain the coals
6. Practice making shelter for varied areas and conditions
7. Research getting a SPOT or similar device
8. Know the local Search and Rescue response rules and contacts

Totally open to others thoughts and expert opinion/advice about procedures and ideas in this real situation that could happen to all of us.
Becareful out there! And have a blast too!

Last edited:
A

_AJ_

Nov 27, 2007
Mt. Baker
www.northwestglaciercruisers.com
What a story.. Glad you guys had a good ending. I could see how that situation could happen to anybody and your story makes me think about it. You were lucky to be as prepared as you were. Often times cell hones don't work in the backcountry around here and getting ahold of anybody let alone search and rescue might not be an option.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

AJ

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Good to hear it turned out to be only a learning experiance.

Your item 4. is often times over looked in sleeding. 4. Stick to the plan and plan for the lowest ability level . I know many friends that will say oh youll do fine just pin it or some other grow balls type of response.

In the dive world your item 4 is a requiorement! I see the same type of mentality with some divers but not near as bad....I would guess that it has more to do with adrenaline(sp?) fueled sports.

I was on the Applecountry(Wenatchee) S/R and we would get call outs at all times of the night for anything as simple as "we didnt hear from him" or he didnt return home. The Sheriff depts. are under huge liability during a search and without knoiwing the conditions I am surprised S?R wasnt called out. But with knowledge that everyone was OK it may be different.

NOTE: most likely you were in Kitatas county. That puts Cammand and control in the Kittatas Sheriffs hands. Their resources are spread thin and they dont have the amount of folks that Chelan County have. Chelan Sheriff's have to wait in a parking lot with S?R folks until Kitatas gives them the green light for assistance. It isnt always the best deal. I have seen Chelan S/R waiting for a green light to assist in a parking lot and another nearby county (no names given) will take three hours more to establish command and control. Thereare a boat load of rules involved.

I am trying to visualize where you were at as most Blewitt areas are fairly easy to get out of if you have a GPS that shows where the roads are.

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Glad it turned out the way it did. Thanks for taking the time to write up a great story to make all of us "think twice" B4 getting into trouble. Missed a Christmas eve dinner with a similar story many years ago....

Curious if it was Chelan or Kittitas County SAR that was called?

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Thanks for all the thanks; this may be a good discussion to help some (not just me) with what to do in bad situations…

It sounds like after dialing 911 from the parking lot a state patrol showed up and either he or the 911 operator said something to the effect if the "stranded" person location is known and not injured, (or maybe not life threatening) they don't call the S&R until they have been out for 24 hours. The state patrol gave the two guys that went in early 6 road flares to help start a fire. The emergency system may have not ever contacted the S&R?

I was totally lost up there, but looking at a map it was a hiking trail, Naneum Meadow, just before the view spot, on Table Mountain… hope it wasn’t an off limit area, but saw no signs in the dark. And they were following a fairly tracked trail into the spot. It wasn’t a real difficult area (I had to keep reminding myself not to play around) but with the added tension of dark, no one with good area knowledge, a trail sled, an exhausted senior, and snowing heavy at times and the fact 4 of the guys had been out there all day with limited supplies and expecting a big X-mas eve dinner that now was cold as their wives were going to be to them when they do get home, made for a more serious situation. Now we can joke around that the guy got a good stress test and his heart seems healthy!

This made us really think because we do go in some really remote areas and it would not be out of the question for an injury, breakdown, bad stuck or crash to cause an emergency or near emergency and then what do you do??? I totally accept that when I go back country for the adventure I am taking an exponentially elevated level of risk and responsibility for my own care and rescue as well as others out there. I am hoping when I do call 911 they are going to get a hold of the correct people. I might want to get to know some of those folks and maybe even get some numbers to jumpstart the process if it is a serious situation. I also might want to beef-up my own knowledge about how to be more prepared and handle the situations.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Powderminer...you sir, are a class act!

Good Karma to you and all the other folks that helped out in their dire time of need.

That situation could have easily have gone south on them in a heartbeat, thats for certain.

Everytime my gal and I venture out together I have an overwhelming sense of responsibility for her well being.

I realize when your way up in the hills like that, theres a fine line between having a great time and a potentially life threatening situation happening if you should get heavily stuck, broke down, lost, etc...

Its so easy to get turned around when everything is fogged in and covered in snow...sometimes it can get frightening quickly with no land marks available anymore.

This is a great reminder to never get complacent...thanks for sharing this story.

S

smokin98.5

Dec 23, 2009
Great story! Thanks for taking the time to remind us it could be ME next, stuck or helping others who are stuck. Way to step up and be a great friend and leader.

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
I’m really lucky to meet great people involved in this sport and very lucky to have the ridding buddies I have. And very glad for the new guys we met that night; I’d ride with them anywhere! (don’t know if they’d feel the same :face-icon-small-win)

All involved were class acts… The guys this happened to are great guys and representative of capable fellows that could be any of us… the guy who got his dad stranded is very humbled and embarrassed, the dad was more concerned something would happen to his son on the way out, they gave the two guys that stayed to help cash to take their wives out for a nice dinner told each to check their sleds for damage and any lost gear would be replaced and sure they will be on the X-mas list next year, the riding buddies that came to help got some extra x-mas refreshment presents and some gas comp.

The guy that was stranded had some thoughts about what would be good to have in that situation…
1. Rope or string to string a tarp, space blanket, or branches over you to block the snow/wind.
2. A good saw to cut branches, green for bedding, fire bottom, and dry for fire
3. Change of socks in dry bag
4. A Sterno or something that can put out an area of light rather than just a spot; especially if you don’t get fire started.
5. Extra water, he did notice he got dehydrated and felt weird, once he had water it helped
6. More than one space blanket
7. A couple proven fire-start methods and equipment, was surprised how hard it was to start and keep going.

He said it wasn’t too bad out there; he was worried about his son getting hurt trying to push it out of there. The sled wasn’t very comfortable to lie on and the snow wasn’t a good option either to stay dry, so he waited uncomfortably on the sled or standing. Laid out food and supplies didn’t try to start a fire until the advance crew showed up, broke some branches off trees. The dad is a trooper and back out on a sled two days later; and for only riding sleds for 1 week a year for 5 years he did real well. I’ll be lucky to do the same once I retire.

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Thanks a TON!!! And welcome to the forum!!!

RMKRider420 and his buddies were cool enough to take me on a tour of Blewett this weekend; they are great guys and a blast to ride with.

They will be a good addition to the Washington conversation, and a lot of sled knowledge too. RMKRider420 has a good camera too, so I got to watch out when I do a poor maneuver and end-up stuck at the bottom of the hill :face-icon-small-hap Hopefully pics soon.

We have all beefed up our gear packs!

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA

The guy that was stranded had some thoughts about what would be good to have in that situation…
1.Rope or string to string a tarp, space blanket, or branches over you to block the snow/wind.
2.A good saw to cut branches, green for bedding, fire bottom, and dry for fire
3.Change of socks in dry bag
4.A Sterno or something that can put out an area of light rather than just a spot; especially if you don’t get fire started.
5.Extra water, he did notice he got dehydrated and felt weird, once he had water it helped
6.More than one space blanket
7.A couple proven fire-start methods and equipment, was surprised how hard it was to start and keep going.........

This is a good list of basics...

Anyone who has tried to start and MAINTAIN a fire in the snow knows how difficult it can be and how much energy is consumed locating and gathering dry wood.

I carry a STEEL soup can (progresso can since it has a larger opening) and a siphon hose...fill the can with gas and light it...it burns like a candle for 3-4 hours and puts out a surprising amount of heat that you can huddle around to get warm.

I carry my extra pair of dry socks roled up and stuffed into the can so it isn't taking up any extra space.

We also carry a heavy "survival tarp" (each person has their own)...$20 at Fred Meyer...and a Bivy Sack $30 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Thermal-Bivvy-Sack/dp/B002LB2Q58.

Thanks for sharing PowderMiner...great reminder of how easily things can turn sideways is we're not careful out there. Replace the older gentleman with an injured riding partner and easy to see how an inconspicuous trail ride can become a struggle to survive the night.

Last edited:
Premium Features