• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Eastern Sierra, North

S
Aug 25, 2001
Minden, Nevada
Red Lake update from Sunday, 12/9/07
The Cal F&G lot off Hwy 88 is posted "No Trailer Parking"
Last snowfall on 12/9, early AM
Avg snow depth at 8500 = 18 inches with drifts up to three feet
The road is passable to Blue Lakes, with between 4 to 12 inches packed snow.
Very few off-trail possibilities with this first dump, but some nice plump at the head of Summit City Cyn. (Skiers were coming out of the woodwork up there).
Notes on the 12/6-7 dumper:
Dry on top of wet. Still lots hung in the trees & still cold. (Sunday hi at 9000 = 20*). The snow arrived from the west, but a wind shift sending flow from the NE redistributed a lot of the crystals. This 'cross-painted' the terrain with snow producing an amazingly even distribution for a first dump - makings of a superb base. (Nevertheless, I did find a few 'interesting' voids).
Bottom line: Nothing to go wild over. Yet.

silvertip

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 3, 2001
Nevada City Calif
Hi Swami,

I think it’s been a long time since I’ve seen you post. I could just not be looking in the right places. But Hi good to see you back on the site.

S
Aug 25, 2001
Minden, Nevada
Thanks Silvertip.
I was pretty ill there for awhile. I couldn't bear to see snow on TV, and it was hard to hit the forums while the mtns were out of reach. But I sure enjoyed your pics while I was down - good to see some of us greybeards still hitting that tender stuff like clockwork. But I've come a long way back, and the taste of freedom is sweeter than ever.:beer;

Premium Features