• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dynamo Joe XP Clutch Kit

800HMX

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2002
Okotoks, AB
I posted this over on Dootalk.

Dynamo Joe XP Clutch Kit

Well I have been waiting to post for some time now, watching the problems, issues and solutions.

I have been testing the DJ QRS Clutch Kit in the mountains for several months now. This is my third DJ kit. The first was the button kit on my 2003 Summit 800 151, then the roller kit on my 2006 800X 159 and now the QRS kit on my 2008 163 X.

I have several hundred km on the QRS Clutch kit, I am on the same belt, and the performance is unreal! The acceleration out of the hole is sick yet smooth, the track speed is incredible, and I get to and hold optimum rpms all day long. I think this is the best clutch kit yet!

Before I talk about specifics, I want to offer BRP some advice. Admit to your mistakes, fix the problems and maybe offer some help to your "valued" customers. One of the main challenges tuning this kit was dealing with BRP's inconsistent and often poor design issues. Some belts are out of specification (either too narrow and/or too long) and some primary clutches are still out of specification (some are still too tight, some are way too loose, and most are covered by an oily sticky solution). Some motors are significantly stronger than others. The secondary clutch, why do we need to remove the jackshaft just to change the helix and who designed the plastic insert to set belt deflection (don't expect this to last long). Great job setting up the clutching - WTF were you thinking. How about offering some way to align the clutches and while you are at it, maybe a torque arm so that the clutches stay aligned. And finally what would possess you to gear these sleds (especially the 146 and 154's) so high. I don't think we need to or could ever go 80+mph in the steep and deep.

To overcome these problems, make sure your belt is within specification, properly adjust the belt deflection, clean your primary and make sure everything moves properly. Clean the secondary and be very careful removing the chain case bolts (many were set way too tight and are stripped from the factory). Cut the slots in the plastic belt adjustment insert so that the belt deflection does not move. If you have a 146 or 154 install a 19t top gear (for the mountains) and a proper chain. For the 163's, gear down to a 20t top and 104 chain to get rid of the horrible dogleg in the chain.

I have tried many many combinations of pin weight, primary springs and helix's to get what I think is the best clutching setup for an XP in the mountains. My testing has been in Revy, Golden and Northern Alberta, in many snow conditions and in elevations from 2000' to over 9000'. The set up I found to work best overall is:

16g of pin weight
160/350 Primary Spring
Violet Secondary Spring
DJ QRS helix

Clicker 3 is great for up to 6000' at 8200rpm
Clicker 4 works from 6000'-8500' at 8200rpm
Clicker 5 above 9000'

First off the quality of this kit is the best in the industry. The helix is machined by Dalton and far exceeds anything offered by BRP or other aftermarket suppliers - you get what you pay for. The weights are precise and the primary spring is from BRP and is significantly better than some of the other aftermarket offerings.

Not only does the kit come with a multi angle helix but the angles and their position on the helix offer the best combination of acceleration and backshift available anywhere.

The XP with the DJ QRS kit is the fastest sled out of the hole that I have ever experienced. I thought my 06 800 and my 05 RT 1000 were quick but they do not even come close to this clutched 163. The acceleration and track speed are insane. I had to suck up my limiter strap and tighten up the rear springs (highest setting) just to keep the skis close to the ground. You need to be careful, you just won’t believe or expect the jump out of the hole – watch out in front. I rode with many stock clutched XP's in the mountains and in 100' they would be 20' behind! The amazing thing is that even with the mind blowing hole shot, you still have incredible control off the line - just velvet smooth. In the softest snow, I would not even spin the track - try that with stock clutching.

Down the trail the sled is pulling 50mph at 7000rpm (very good mileage) yet flip the throttle and WOW, no hesitation just acceleration - absolutely unreal acceleration. I have seen 75mph on the trail. Remember how awful the 07's would rev down the trail, well this is much better now. I found that I could use the same clicker position for several thousand feet of elevation.

Pull off the trail and this is where a great clutch kit and a properly clutched sled really shine. On the throttle, off the throttle, deep snow and hard packed, the rpm's just don't change. I tried this many many times in all different snow conditions and at many different elevations and always the same result. Set the clicker for 8200 and nothing more. Compared to stock, you need to clicker up just to keep rpm, and now you are either over revving or under revving with rpm's all over the place. The stock clutching feels so "soft," hit the gas and nothing just mush!

I fine tuned my pin weight for an instant 8100rpm and a quick pull to 8200. I have achieved this in all the riding environments. All I have to do is select the proper clicker for the conditions (Quick Clickers- great product) and nothing more.

The climbing ability of this XP is insane. Point this sled with DJ's kit and you rocket to 70mph (at 8000') and hold 45-50mph track speed all the way up. The clutches are shifting all the way out – nothing left. Compare this to the 1/2 to 2/3 of the primary you are using with stock clutching. People are adding pin weight to the stock clutching (sometimes up to 17g at 8000'), only to wildly spin the belt in the secondary, leaving lovely belt rings on the sheaves, incredible belt heat and BOOM another opportunity to buy a belt. I pulled many back to back climbs - not a mark on the sheaves, moderately warm clutches and no more need to buy belts - just like the old days with my 06 800X with DJ's roller kit (2500km in the mountains on one belt). In fact I was way disappointed with my sled’s performance until it was clutched properly.

A stock clutched XP (some with additional pin weight) couldn't even climb with our 07 XRS with DJ's kit. My 163 XP with DJ's kit annihilates the XRS and any stock machine out there. We were in Gorman last week and a very good local rider took my 163 for several pulls. There were 10 or so riders climbing and laying high marks, including several XP's. Shaun took his DJ Roller clutched XRS at least 50' higher that the highest mark (about 8000'). Using clicker 4 and 8200 on my XP, and in two climbs, Shaun high marked his XRS by at least 100.' Just for the hell of it I clickered up to 5 and now pulling 8400rpm, Shaun said he was climbing at least 50mph, holding solid at 8400 and rocketed past the clicker 4 high mark by 500' to the rocks (from 7500- over 9000’) - I wasn't the only one who saw this and I would never take that pull - just insane. Looks like a few more rpms may be in order for high altitudes.

This clutch kit really gets the best out of the XP. This sled really gets up and stays on the snow. I can't believe how good the sled works now and how poorly the sled was set up from the factory. I know the 10 riding buddies that saw this kit work desperately want the QRS kit.

I hope DJ ordered a truckload of these kits. The DJ clutch kit has always been the best addition to a skidoo and this year is no different.

Great work!

2008 Helix.jpg

Last edited:
G
Nov 30, 2007
Great post! Good to hear that Dynamoe Joe has outdone himself again! Good things come to those who wait........Too bad that BRP can't get it together when it comes to their setups as of late and with their quality control on their components.

-Grover

800HMX

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2002
Okotoks, AB
Take a look at the primary and belt after 300km or so. Belt is in great shape, Primary is shifting way out and the Quick Clickers were a great addition.

Also note the oil weeping onto the Secondary. Yet another great BRP performance addition - Note to self, oil on the belt will not make the sled go faster.

300 km Later.JPG

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
Also, what Belt # were you using? Was it the 166, 253, or the new one? Have you had any testing with the new belt from BRP? I want one also, let us know when there available.

Thanks

800HMX

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2002
Okotoks, AB
I have been using the orange lettered 166 belt. My white lettered belt is too narrow (1 3/8" not 1 1/2"). I have not tried any other belts.

800HMX

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2002
Okotoks, AB
On my 159 I was geared 20/46. 160/320 primary with 18.3g pin weight, Violet Secondary Spring, DJ Roller Helix, Good for clicker 4 to 8000' at 8200rpm. Ramps were stock 415's. Also HPS can and Dynoport pipe.

Until the DJ QRS and the 163 XP, my 06 800X 159 was the best sled I ever had.

Last edited:
C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
contact dynamo^joe on here or dootalk....

he owns and operates Northern Catalyst Performance Clutching Systems in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

or go to his website..

http://www.mzxz-revzone.com

stand up guy, but extremely busy...so it may take a while for him to get back to you. also his pm box here and on dootalk get full often, so try emailing him if that doesnt work. i believe his email is on his website..

i am one extremely satisfied customer!

good luck

S
Nov 26, 2007
Sierra Nevada
contact dynamo^joe on here or dootalk....

he owns and operates Northern Catalyst Performance Clutching Systems in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

or go to his website..

http://www.mzxz-revzone.com

stand up guy, but extremely busy...so it may take a while for him to get back to you. also his pm box here and on dootalk get full often, so try emailing him if that doesnt work. i believe his email is on his website..

i am one extremely satisfied customer!

good luck

This web site link does not work do have the correct one?

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
If its anything like his kits I have run you guys will like it for sure . Best back shifting I have seen and nice easy engagement, holds rpm all day long and the biggest one NO MORE HOT CLUTCHES.

Forgot to mention I did some porting to sled and contacted DJ to buy a new spring for primary and he sent it out no cost to me. Excellent service is price less.

Last edited:
Premium Features