• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Driving to Revelstoke

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
For those of you who have made the trip which way did you go? Did you stay in the state all the way to Spokane and then head north into Canada or did you cut up in Montana? I have heard mixed reviews on weather to add the extra time and stay in the states vs spending more time on Canada roads.

Time frame would be late Jan early Feb.

Anyone have any advice?

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
It's a lot shorter a trip through the US and a much straighter road.
I would cross into Alberta from Montana then go straight west from Calgary to Revelstoke or Sicamous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Interested in this as we were planning to go this year, but with a baby due Jan 27 I might be waiting til next year. We were planning on crossing border in Montana but have never made the drive before

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Stay in the States as long as Montana and come up to Calgary like mentioned. I've done the trip the other way lots(raced ISOC sno-X) and Canadian fuel is more expensive. That alone is reason to stay south. Even with the exchange rate. Don't go any further west and try to come up thru BC. Just adding time if you try that.

Bubba

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
turkey ridge sd
If your coming from the ham lake area take 94 to glendive mt take 200s to 13 to wolf point mt, then take 2 to shelby mt then go north on i15 to the border, then go to calgary and west from there.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Curious on this too.
What about coming from the Boise Idaho area? What is the best route? Anyone traveled this and have any suggestions?

Also, not sure how to translate the fuel costs CAN vs USA. Canada sells it by the liter and we sell it by the gallon. With the exchange rate figured in, what is the "real" cost per gallon if fuel is purchased in Canada? Would run at least 91 octane and non-ethanol (if available).

Gotta be a formula somewhere . . . ?

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Curious on this too.
What about coming from the Boise Idaho area? What is the best route? Anyone traveled this and have any suggestions?

Also, not sure how to translate the fuel costs CAN vs USA. Canada sells it by the liter and we sell it by the gallon. With the exchange rate figured in, what is the "real" cost per gallon if fuel is purchased in Canada? Would run at least 91 octane and non-ethanol (if available).

You can get 95 octane at the pump in Revy.

If you can head up in Montana that is a better route to Revy rather than backtracking from Spokane.
Sure you have a pass to go over between Golden and Revy but that is better than all of the tourist traffic you will have south of Sicamous.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
If you have a slip tank laying around it is VERY much worth it to bring one up full of gas for the toys. fuel in revy my last 3 trips was around 1.75 the cost of US gas. so when you start filling up 3-4 sleds a day it adds up fast. We had a 50 gallon that we dropped in the bed of the truck, topped everything off before we crossed the border and burned the last of it up in the truck on the way home. Cheaper to burn US priced premium then candian regular. Also we were staying out of town so really nice not to have to run into town every day.

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
Went north of warroad to winnipeg then hwy1 all the way in april. Very slow with all the big towns and 110km speed limit. Also speed cameras everywhere.
Came back thru Nelson bc into idaho and back hwy 2. Kinda cool taking the ferry and bc 2 lane roads on way home...but next time will be hwy 2 out to Montana then up to Calgary.

Attachments

• 20160407_141507.jpg
    20160407_141507.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 78

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If you have a slip tank laying around it is VERY much worth it to bring one up full of gas for the toys. fuel in revy my last 3 trips was around 1.75 the cost of US gas. so when you start filling up 3-4 sleds a day it adds up fast. We had a 50 gallon that we dropped in the bed of the truck, topped everything off before we crossed the border and burned the last of it up in the truck on the way home. Cheaper to burn US priced premium then candian regular. Also we were staying out of town so really nice not to have to run into town every day.

I have a 35 gallon slip tank. However It's a homemade unit we have had around forever so I was not sure if there would be any issue crossing the border with it.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Does anyone have any recommended places to stay near the Sicamous / Revelstroke areas they care to share?

We are already staying at Grizzly lodge for a few days at the start of our trip but looking for a place for the 2nd half of the week. It would be nice to ride from where we stay but it's not required as we can always ride out of the trailer too.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Does anyone have any recommended places to stay near the Sicamous / Revelstroke areas they care to share?

We are already staying at Grizzly lodge for a few days at the start of our trip but looking for a place for the 2nd half of the week. It would be nice to ride from where we stay but it's not required as we can always ride out of the trailer too.

You'll have a blast at Grizzly!
There's a few places in Revy to ride from but my favourite is Glacier House. Great amenities and since the new owners have taken over I've heard nothin but good from there. And the trail is groomed right from the doorstep unlike the Peaks Lodge(or at least it was groomed more often) where you can also ride out from.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
Some of our staff stayed at the Glacier house last year and will be booking a few more trips up there using them again this year. Top notch place, very reasonable prices for the amenities. And there is nothing quite like riding fresh groomed trail from the lodge!

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Another question.

I have crossed the border many times in just the pick-up but never with the sleds and trailer. What all do they required for paperwork to cross with the sleds and trailer? Registration cards? Insurance cards? Anything else we should make sure to have if they ask?

T

TheHoneyBadger

Nov 30, 2007
Cashmere, Wa
Another question.

I have crossed the border many times in just the pick-up but never with the sleds and trailer. What all do they required for paperwork to cross with the sleds and trailer? Registration cards? Insurance cards? Anything else we should make sure to have if they ask?

I crossed into BC last winter with my sled in the back of the truck and was not asked for any paperwork whatsoever.

hilpulr

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Corvallis MT
Revy

Have always gone thru Golden. I have never been asked for paperwork but my Canadian friends say that i should have my insurance cards ready for sleds. I use a sled deck and you are supposed to have 3 points of contact i have been told.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I have a 35 gallon slip tank. However It's a homemade unit we have had around forever so I was not sure if there would be any issue crossing the border with it.

If you are running a diesel you can fill it with red dyed offroad and run that up in Canada. They have red diesel up there anyway.
You could save a few bucks more that way also.

Either way a slip tank full of fuel will almost pay for itself on a trip like this.

Premium Features