• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Driver shaft install on 2001 700

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Can't get the bearing to fully seat to get clip on in lower (driver) shaft. Anyone have any tips? Wondering if I installed new oil seal wrong. Anyone have a manual or pictures. Working on 144 to 159 conversion. Any help is appreciated.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Measure the bearing and measure the depth of the hole, you may have the wrong bearing. If you have the right one (3514309) make sure it slides on the shaft freely. You may need to use light emry cloth to true it up. Did you lock the bearing collar on the clutch side all ready? Both bearings need to be free for the shaft to slide either direction until you get the chain in and the gears tight on the drive shafts then you can lock the collar down.

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
01 700 RMK? Did you put the drive shaft in the bearing before installing the bearing in the chaincase?

sled_guy

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
No i didn't put the bearing on the shaft first. Not sure even if that's possible. I suppose it could be the wrong bearing and may be too wide. I'll have to check that out since the next step in taking is to take it back apart

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Is the bearing not in the case? In general this is how you go about it.

1 - Case bearings installed and case installed.
2 - Clutch side retainer bolts out of the tunnel, clutch side bearing presses on.
3 - Bearing spacer and o-ring on the chaincase side of the shaft.
4 - Put the track up in the tunnel, put the drive shaft up and through the clutch side hole and shove it through as far as you can so that you can rotate the case side up.
5 - Slip the shaft through the bearing in the chaincase while pushing the track up into the tunnel enough to get the drive cogs to skip the teeth so you can slide the shaft in.

At this point I put the lower gear and bolt on to hold it in place while I bump, shove, swear and cuss getting the shaft all the way in to the chaincase so it bottoms against the bushing. Once it is fully seated I tighten the lower gear bolt down to hold it in place and then put the clutch side retaining plate in the tunnel and bolt it down.

sled_guy

Premium Features