• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DREAM TRAILER: 2019 Mirage project trailer

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If left
On over night, your sleds will be fully melted out and ice free in the morning and all your gear will be warm and dry.

Adding a fan DOES help to get the air moving around inside the trailer.

Also
Be prepared for significant external snow melt on the roof that frequently creates a LOT of side wall ice outside from where it melts off the roof and freezes again on the way down. Same at the bottom of the rear door.

If your sleds are PACKED with snow when you bring them into the trailer, be ready for an ICY FLOOR in the morning.

Try hard to remove as much packed snow from the sleds before storing them as possible and your next days morning will be more enjoyable

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Spray foam the floor and no more ice on the floor. I can get my floor almost dry by morning. Always spray silicone spray on door seals so u can open the frozen doors.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Is an insulated floor an option from Mirage, and Christopher, did yours have an insulated floor?
They would not do that for me.
It has to be done AFTERMARKET.
And I would suggest, if you are going to go that route, that would be the VERY FIRST THING I WOULD do the SAME DAY I picked up the trailer.
It would be best to spray the entire undercariage of the trailer while it is CLEAN and FACTORY FRESH.

The next trailer I get is going to be smaller and it will probably be my Long Term trailer for many years to come.
Something in the 16-18ft range likely.
That one I would have fully treated.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
Having never been around a trailer with a furnace and hoping to purchase one in the next year, I want to bump this back to the top. I'm looking at this same trailer except only with the high mark package. Does the furnace actually DRY OUT gear overnight?

I started out just like you, with a Buddy heater used to heat up the interior. I'd then have to pull my trailer into a shop and open all the doors to get the sleds AND clothing to dry out. This left water all over my shop floor, took up gobs of space, etc. So I needed a solution that would let me leave my trailer outside, but fully loaded and still get everything DRY. This year, I went with a homebrew version of what Mirage sells. Same forced air approach, with small venting along the tubes that run parallel to the floor, blowing out along the floor and up the wall at the clothing hanging above. When at home, a shore-power converter powers the heater (I only have 1 deep cycle batter, whis is good for maybe 30 minutes before the volts drop too much). While I've only used it a handful of times this season, it's working GREAT! Heater is grey box at the top, with boot/glove/helmet rack below, and floor/gear ducts running above the diamond plate.

I have a 4-hour winding (egg-timer style) timer wired in series with the thermostat. Set the temp at about 75 degrees for 3 hours, and the sleds are clean, and gear is fully dry. I rode yesterday almost an hour out in the rain, hung up my gear and started the heater as I drove home. Was 50% dry by the time I got home, and fully dry with 3 hours of heat after that. This means minimal propane use (only half of a 20# BBQ bottle in the last 2 weekends) and still dry gear. As Christopher said, knock extra snow off your sleds before loading to help keep the floors from getting quite so wet, but that's it - otherwise, load up, hang up the clothes, turn on the heater, and drive down the road. Get home, unhook, plug in trailer, reset timer for how long you want it to run, and don't come back until next time you go ride.

IMG_20200107_230116.jpg

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The Honda's are great gen sets , if there is a problem it's usually self inflicted . The gens are so efficient that they can not create enough heat out in the cold , they have to be wrapped . Try tell that to a mechanic . I get no less than ten hours out of a gallon and have it pulling from a five gallon Moto can . This is the hours on my Honda , it's actually just shy of 10,000 .

IMG_20191104_174004767.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Honda's are great gen sets , if there is a problem it's usually self inflicted . The gens are so efficient that they can not create enough heat out in the cold , they have to be wrapped . Try tell that to a mechanic . I get no less than ten hours out of a gallon and have it pulling from a five gallon Moto can . This is the hours on my Honda , it's actually just shy of 10,000 .
OK.
HOW COLD has it been when you had to wrap the generator?
I don't think I have used mine in Sub-Zero, but above that they have run all night mid winter at TOG

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
If it's running outside alongside the trailer or what have you they start running funny 10-15 degrees and if you listen closely to it the gen will start having a bit more vibration , rough idle . Not saying it has to be covered at those temps but that's how noticeable or should I say efficient they are .

That little guy of yours likes to be warm , if it starts revving break the bottom bowl screw with a thin screwdriver and purge some gas out , builds condensation in the tank in the cold from not keep warm . That is also another tell tail sign .

There should be no reason a plug fouls either . If your fouling a plug in a season or two with minimal time that would also tell you it's not being taken care of in the cold . The plug should keep running well past the plug gap account of time on the plug .

I'd say if it's around zero wrap it , mummy it so the only thing that is really open is the exhaust . It'll draw air unless your using something that smothers it . Someone always figures out a way to wreck an anvil .

Only thing I'll add is a dollop of mystery oil in the fuel once in a while , the life it's given me so far that's the least I could do for it .

The newer model is even more efficient . It's one of those things that's so good it's hard to believe but so easy to abuse .

Almost forgot
If one of these Honda gens start using oil in a cold climate it is almost always blamed on being wore out . Farthest thing from the truth , it wasn't able to generate enough heat to keep the rings and valve clean . They gunk up and it sure does sound , look and smell like it's wore out .

I'm not sure what I'll do with mine when it does wear out , it's become a part of the family .

Last edited:

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Snowest dream trailer? READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE YOU BUY A MIRAGE TRAILER!!!

Note. I have no issue with Christopher / Snowest. This review simply exposes the quality of Mirage Trailers and Rob Swikert's (Mirage CEO) character.

Copy and past link below.....

drive.google.com/file/d/18zh0Xf4UmxYK140E5YxH4gmvlDsXFlRJ/view?fbclid=IwAR199gmGKtUOnKcaSQb8rwvKqrBCK3k5fP9tZBGH8OR5mi636OE4SdMqd84

Last edited:
Premium Features