• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

dragon front ends, just wondering

S

snofoshow

Feb 16, 2009
I have an 08 dragon and love the sled. It is easy to throw around and sidehill. The only complaint is that is doesnt have that greatest of manners. Comparing it to an edge chassis, it doesnt stear as easy and likes to dive. I have the stock WE shocks and pumped them up to maximum. This helped some, but really works you riding it. I have talked to other guys who have the same issue. I even rode one with the Z bros wide front end. My question is, has anyone that put the Holz front in and Fox shocks had better luck? It is alot of money, but if it makes a big difference, I would do it. Any suggestions????

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I have an 08 dragon and love the sled. It is easy to throw around and sidehill. The only complaint is that is doesnt have that greatest of manners. Comparing it to an edge chassis, it doesnt stear as easy and likes to dive. I have the stock WE shocks and pumped them up to maximum. This helped some, but really works you riding it. I have talked to other guys who have the same issue. I even rode one with the Z bros wide front end. My question is, has anyone that put the Holz front in and Fox shocks had better luck? It is alot of money, but if it makes a big difference, I would do it. Any suggestions????

I run the float-2's up front (stock 08 arms right now), and the holz rear skid with carls vavled and chambered floats...if I run the shocks too soft it is a bear on the trail but stiffen them up and it is pretty good..also try widening out the ski spacers to widen the stance....this summer I will do the 09 holz arms and the 09 swaybar...

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I have Floats and Holz front and rear. I love the way it handles off the trail. On the trail is a bit of a workout but that's how I like it. My goal is to stay off trail as much as possible. Not sure what you're looking for but trails should be just the means. I ride with a buddy who has a stock Dragon and it doesn't turn as effortlessly as mine with the goodies. I think the spindles and the Floats make up the real difference. Just my .02. Good luck with yours.

S

SKYJMPR

Nov 27, 2007
THORNTON ,CO / longmont
I have Floats and Holz front and rear. I love the way it handles off the trail. On the trail is a bit of a workout but that's how I like it. My goal is to stay off trail as much as possible. Not sure what you're looking for but trails should be just the means. I ride with a buddy who has a stock Dragon and it doesn't turn as effortlessly as mine with the goodies. I think the spindles and the Floats make up the real difference. Just my .02. Good luck with yours.

X2 :beer;

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I have both setups on two different sleds that I take on almost every ride and trade back and forth.

The walkers are just inferior in every aspect.

I'm a firm believer that the best budget to performance balance on your sled is Fox Zero pro springers over Holz arms and the best performance bar none is if money is no object is the Fox Evol (r then step up to X) shocks over Holz. Really big improvement in trial manners is buying the woodies 6" carbide and replace factory stock on your grippers. That will be a "felt" difference and worth the $60. Now spindles...the 08 were supposed to be a better camber setup but that is still arguable. It's really key to set your sled up with a good balance of all the shocks, ski camber, and the toe position...in conjunction with your weight rider position and the rear limiter straps. It's all a frog hair individually but once it's all in concert you have a great acting sled everywhere. Tinker and you'll see what the changes do.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
Shocks

I'm a firm believer that the best budget to performance balance on your sled is Fox Zero pro springers over Holz arms and the best performance bar none is if money is no object is the Fox Evol (r then step up to X) shocks over Holz. It's really key to set your sled up with a good balance of all the shocks, ski camber, and the toe position...in conjunction with your weight rider position and the rear limiter straps. It's all a frog hair individually but once it's all in concert you have a great acting sled everywhere. Tinker and you'll see what the changes do.

F-Bomb...how do the Fox Float2's fit into the mix? I traded my '08 Dragon for an '09 Dragon which I will not get until the fall. Want to replace the front WE's. Not willing to spend $1000+ on the Fox R/X stuff. That leaves me with three choices. Fox ZPro, Fox Float2's or WE Needles from TriCity Polaris. Mostly boondocking, exploring with a little climbing, NO jumping. Bones are a little aged for that. What do you think?

C

closed

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 15, 2008
Lake Stevens Wa.
I recently upgraded sleds from a stock suspension 08/D7 to Mod 08/D8 running Holz rear suspension and front arms with Fox all around and no Sway bar.

My biggest complaint with the D7 was simply the agony that it put me through on the trail, although mostly short distance it was still painful!

This new sled with Holz and Fox is a totally different machine on the trails (road) and is still effortless off the trail.

Ski shocks I am running 70psi in the main chamber and 120 psi in the Evol chamber.

Front track shock is running 50psi

Rear track shock is running 125psi in the main chamber and 150psi in the evol chamber.

Quite frankly I am amazed at how well it handles compared to the stock D7 with W.E.! Where the sled really performs is off trail! I thought the same as you, that the Sled was effortless off-trail. Prepare yourself, because it gets better!

I am very happy:D

Last edited:
Premium Features