• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon 700 Possible Fuel Problem

2007 Dragon 700 all stock except for a can. Last few rides out the sled has been bogging at full throttle. Most of the time it would only do it for awhile in the morning and then be fine the rest of the day. Yesterday it got really bad doing it at various times all day but did seem to do it less and less towards the end. If you pumped the throttle sometimes it would stop bogging. I have a brand new TPS and everything is set right. Here is where things get interesting on the ride home the sled just flat out died. It had lots of spark but wouldn't even make an attempt to start. Knowing that on a car or truck if the fuel pump quits you hit the tank to get the pump started again so we kicked the fuel tank as hard as we could and boom the sled flashed right up. This makes me think the fuel pump is dying? Any other ideas would be welcomed and how do you test fuel pressure on these sleds?

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
Fuel pump

Get that pump out of the tank and check all the lines. I have an 07 dragon rmk and last year mine was having a problem with cutting out when going to full throttle after running 10 to 15 minutes. All the lines had rotted off at the clamps and the only line left was from the pump to the first fuel pickup. you can can hook a fuel pressure gauge to the test port and run it out of the hood so you can watch it. It should run no less then 60psi. Mine would drop to less then 10psi and run like crap. But check those lines out, you don't want to lean out!!

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
the first thing i thought of was exhaust valve spring broken rusted deal because of the weep hole in the intake right above the valve., but maybe it is your pump. put a guage on that sucker and put 12v to the plug and see

Anybody know the minimum/maximum fuel pressure my D7 should be running. I see above it was mentioned 60 psi no less just want to make sure. I bought a fuel pressure tester kit today and will be testing it tomorrow by doing laps around the farm with the gauge out the hood.

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
Anybody know the minimum/maximum fuel pressure my D7 should be running. I see above it was mentioned 60 psi no less just want to make sure. I bought a fuel pressure tester kit today and will be testing it tomorrow by doing laps around the farm with the gauge out the hood.

It should stay at 60 or better. Run it a while and make sure that even after it gets good and warm that it does not drop.

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
Where exactly is the test port on this bad boy? Do I need a special fuel pressure tester or does it just use a standard automotive one??

Automotive guage will work and the test port is just under the console by the top left of the steering hoop. Let us know what you find.

Tested fuel pressure over the course of a whole day of riding and never dropped below 60psi at any point it time even during the bogging. Changed the fuel filter out and still nothing has changed. Took the power valves out and cleaned them really good. There was a whole lot of thick oily slime under the bellows. It runs good around the farm always does then I get to the hill and it runs like garbage. Seems to be getting worse too. Anybody have problems with injectors or maybe DET sensors on these sleds?? Plan on doing some more trail testing over the next few days.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Tested fuel pressure over the course of a whole day of riding and never dropped below 60psi at any point it time even during the bogging. Changed the fuel filter out and still nothing has changed. Took the power valves out and cleaned them really good. There was a whole lot of thick oily slime under the bellows. It runs good around the farm always does then I get to the hill and it runs like garbage. Seems to be getting worse too. Anybody have problems with injectors or maybe DET sensors on these sleds?? Plan on doing some more trail testing over the next few days.

Check with BEAMSLAYER here on SW.

He had his 700 burn down, had the injectors flow tested and they were very inconsistent in flow from one to the next.

Did a little more trail testing after I cleaned the power valves and it is still doing the same thing. It almost seems like it wants to run on one cylinder. It killed one brand new plug and then when I put another plug in it seemed to clean up good and then after awhile it went back to running on one cylinder. Was starting to think it was maybe wires and caps would have gotten more ride time in if my buddy did not go flat out into a quad doing donuts in the middle of the road making the sled not ride-able ... ah well needed new plastic and running boards anyway.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Try draining fuel tank look for water in tank,what cylinder is not running,what are you running for plugs, are the plugs oil soaked or gas soaked, try a compression test,pull air box look at reeds mine where nasty black.If all else fails come and buy mine its like new.

PTO side seems to be the problem it has tons of compression still and the plugs don't have a bad burn color on them. I am running just plain NGK BR9ES plugs, I actually have no idea what Polaris recommends for plugs since the owners manual took a bath haha. If I had the money Id just buy another Dragon however it is just not in the cards.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Try champions RY57CC I believe I have never been a fan of ngks gap them at .028.

Premium Features