• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Doo to Polaris

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Everyone complains about poo a-arms but I have only bent one lower on my axys fleet with probably 15,000 miles on the 10 I have owned and the one I bent I hit a stump damn hard. I have seen more doo bulkhead pieces broke in comparison.

As far as handling goes I would say the poo is harder for new and smaller riders then doo to sidehill, but once you get a little more experience the poo is more predictable better riding machine! My .02

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Tough three years for us with two 18 163 RMK AXYS 800s. 5 A arms and one ski , We always try and wait for the snow to get to 40" or more before we ride but even with that, the rocks and stumps took its toll on our checkbook!! We have stayed at 39" width and stock A arms, but I have considered narrowing to 36" but have not. Don't think that would help with the A arm vs rock/stump problem, that might just be luck and of course Rider Skill/talent also!
gtwitch in wyoming

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I currently ride a 2020 850 Backcountry XRS. Its slowly becoming a summit with a solid rear arm (no t-motion)

Ive had a few Polaris sleds in the past, and a few Ski-doos. I would say I'm a little Polaris bias to be honest, but buying a Polaris worries me a little.

I love my doo for a few reasons, the main one being the motor. Its damn near perfect. It starts first pull every time, even in -30C. Then the shot start takes over for the rest of the day. I'm not entirely sure I can ride without shot start anymore.. I could go with the ancient electric start set up Polaris has, but then there goes the weight savings!

The etec doesn't foul plugs (EVER) I have never heard of electrical issues with it, and it idles and runs so clean. It really is the best engine in the snowmobile business in my opinion.

A lot of guys dislike the rear suspension because of the torsion springs. Personally, I don't really mind it. It would be fine by me if they put a new suspension in it, but right now.. Its ok for me. I have to ride trail to get where I'm going. So the cushy feel on the trail is an added bonus to me. I also like to carry a fair bit of weight on my sled, so the ease of clicking up the spring compared to adjusting a spring on a rear shock is very important to me. (I also ride two up with my kids, so the torsion springs help there as well) I find the sled loves to be jumped as well, and it does what it needs to do while I'm playing in the trees as well. I wish it wouldn't wheelie so much sometimes... but that can be really fun too.. so its 50/50 there.

I very much like the fit and finish of the doo as well. I feel like its been professionally built, very respectable craftsmanship, and top quality materials used as well... for the most part.

So, that's what I like about the Doo... Now on to the Polaris.

The polaris just handles so well. I know sidehilling is just a piece of the puzzle in the grand scheme of things.. We do so much more than just sidehill when we are riding. But the Polaris gives you so much confidence, I find my self wanting to sidehill and get into tricky areas more often. I can try to get the Doo into these areas, it'll take a little work, or a couple attempts. but it will do it... just not as easy as the Polaris. The balance/feel while in a sidehill is so much better, its like thats what the Polaris was designed to d, more than anything else.

I really like how narrow the Polaris is. The sled is purpose built for technical riding. It is also much easier to work on. Break an a-arm on a doo and its a fairly difficult job to get back on the snow that day. Polaris needs about 30mins at the most to change an a-arm. Same goes for track changes or, rear suspension work.. its just easier.

The Polaris will get on top of the snow much nicer, and in almost any situation you don't have to worry about trenching like the doo will do sometimes. I hardly ever get either one stuck... Its just that I think the Polaris rear suspension works better in that situation.

As for the steering, laydown post vs forward/straight post... I don't really care much for that debate. You will adapt and get used to whatever you use.

In the end, I ride a doo because I don't want little nit picky issues. I do miss the feel, and the handling of the Polaris, but you can make a Doo pretty good if you know what you need.

I strongly considered a Matryx this year, it looks like the sled to have for 2022. But financially it didn't make sense for me, so we will see what 2023 brings us. I could be ordering anything at that point. Sorry for the long winded response.. I have a little bit of time on my hands lol.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Each year the Polaris gets better and better. Run better, start better, fit and finish better etc. As far as not having SHOT, it's just a flick of the wrist to start the Polaris and the pull start is located higher than the Doo so it's much easier to pull from funny angles. Like you say purpose built technical machine for side-hilling but also goes through the snow better. Finally on Doo you pay for layers and layers of plastic parts that when you crash many parts may need replacing. The Polaris plastics are much tougher and simpler.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Each year the Polaris gets better and better. Run better, start better, fit and finish better etc. As far as not having SHOT, it's just a flick of the wrist to start the Polaris and the pull start is located higher than the Doo so it's much easier to pull from funny angles. Like you say purpose built technical machine for side-hilling but also goes through the snow better. Finally on Doo you pay for layers and layers of plastic parts that when you crash many parts may need replacing. The Polaris plastics are much tougher and simpler.
Like I said, I've had both.
You can't beat Shot.. its like 2lbs at the most, I've used it to start the sled while upside down lol and I've even used it up to 45 mins after shutting the sled down.. Its an amazing piece of tech. If you've never had it, then perfect.. you'll never know what you're missing.

As for tougher plastic.. I haven't seen that personally, but most definitely simpler.

Both sleds are quite capable. and both have their issues. You just need to pick whats more important to you. Personally I'd like to have both in my garage. lol.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Pull start will never be comparable to Shot. I've seen Shot go flakey on occasion, but most of the time it works as designed. Too often average poo's will need more than one tug. To top it off, poos pull harder than doos. If you're starting the sled more than 3-4 times a ride, or on a slope, and who isn't, it's a no brainer. Poo's fit and finish is getting really good. Everything is easier to access and maintain. Outside of Velocities, they ride worse than a log truck stock, as do the doo SPs. Poo tunnels are more fragile, we'll see what the Matryx brings. Reverse works better in the fluff on the doo. Every OEM's stock track is almost a consumable now, but that's what happens when riding a lighter weight 3". Track durability on heavier Camo X's is much better for non-Alphas, last two pros were replaced with the CX and durability improvement was substantial.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I had the 2017 g4. (I know the newer ones have improved some)
Cons- Blown motor at 2,600 miles. Bull head had braces on it and looked like a cracked egg by end of season. Belts and clutch heat was an issue. Front end dives, lots of bar feedback, would loose edge in steep, running boards were too wide, it trenched. And if you have to work on anything is sucks. Takes forever just to get the hood off.
Pros- Downhill pow turns! It swims like a fish downhill. Climbs very well, motor is impressive with great snap. Mine was the 154 3” and was a blast. Very playful and you had to ride it like a bull!

I’ve had 1 axys 800 and 4 850s.
Cons- fuel mapping/bogging issues (2021 was great though), I’ve bent a few tunnels, fit and finish isn’t as nice.
Pros- much more capable in steep technical, jumps,whips,bow ties better, pops up on snow, is lighter and feels lighter, is extremely easy to work on every part of the sled, very reliable in my experience.

This is comparing axys to gen 4. The matryx blows both the gen 4 and axys out of the water!!!

Premium Features