• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Doo "thinner" handlebars on an Axys.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
No but I think the AXYS bars are already pretty close to the thinner Doo bars when you take the grip thickness into account. My experience is from my buddy getting an Expert and the first thing I noticed was the bars felt more like my AXYS than his old Doo did. Don't forget the Doo always had corking under the heating elements that added thickness. I had a 2016 AXYS and I added the corking and they felt thick like Doo bars.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I have been running them all winter without a mountain bar. They have a better bend and ergonomically feel better than the Polaris bar. I’ll give them five stars. They are thinner than the Polaris bar. Once you run them and you get back on a stock setup, it feels like the stock bars are a straight piece of pipe.
You will need a riser for an install.
You can buy the bars as an accessory with the cork, heat and grips installed. Natural aluminum is considerably cheaper than the red Expert bars. You re-pin the elements(just high heat) and they are plug and play.

Ski-Doo Deep Snow Small Diameter Handlebar for REV Gen4 860201974

Last edited:
K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I have been running them all winter without a mountain bar. They have a better bend and ergonomically feel better than the Polaris bar. I’ll give them five stars. They are thinner than the Polaris bar. Once you run them and you get back on a stock setup, it feels like the stock bars are a straight piece of pipe.
You will need a riser for an install.
You can buy the bars as an accessory with the cork, heat and grips installed. Natural aluminum is considerably cheaper than the red Expert bars. You re-pin the elements(just high heat) and they are plug and play.

Ski-Doo Deep Snow Small Diameter Handlebar for REV Gen4 860201974

Thank you. When you say re-pin - did you cut the plugs off and hard wire to the Polaris plug? Any guidance on wiring for an 850? All the brake and throttle blocks bolt up just fine with the thinner bar? Are the expert bars a two inch rise ?

I’m excited to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Thank you. When you say re-pin - did you cut the plugs off and hard wire to the Polaris plug? Any guidance on wiring for an 850? All the brake and throttle blocks bolt up just fine with the thinner bar? Are the expert bars a two inch rise ?

I’m excited to try.

Yup the bold above would be the biggest concern going in.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I’ll take a pic.
I slid the pins out of the stock connector and re-pined the Doo wires to utilize the stock connector.
I will build a riser, but used a 2.5” ROX riser with the stock block.
Every thing fits and works on the bars.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I’ll take a pic.
I slid the pins out of the stock connector and re-pined the Doo wires to utilize the stock connector.
I will build a riser, but used a 2.5” ROX riser with the stock block.
Every thing fits and works on the bars.

Awesome- very helpfull. Looking forward to the pin picture. Is yours an 800 or 850? I think the connectors are different

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
It’s an 850. Pins are different. I can go back to the shop and take pics if you like.
I also reused the wire armor.
If you click on the pics they clear up.

E6F9B5D5-CE20-4093-9042-D34C2ADEE099.jpeg 5898BAB8-D775-42A6-9340-2C3A03DFDA7F.jpeg 5179B768-264D-4F7C-888D-C1A1DFDAF3C5.png

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
It’s an 850. Pins are different. I can go back to the shop and take pics if you like.
I also reused the wire armor.
If you click on the pics they clear up.
Thank you. Curious about the location of the pins in the plug to get the heaters working. Do I need a special tool to remove the pins? Also - I"m assuming any style of aftermarket riser should work on the bars? The bars look to be about 1" rise - that sound about right? So I'll look for a 6" rise to match the Polaris stock high bars. I'm ordering the bars now. :) Thank you for your help.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I have all the tools and connectors, so it’s pretty easy for me.
There is a ground wire and a hot wire. Doo uses a rheostat type controller for the hand warmers. You will only have HOT through the Polaris hand warmer switch no matter if you wire into hi or low.
I tried to install the Polaris hand warmers, they are to long and bunch up. You could use the old ‘90 short style and rewire them. I prefer the Doo style. They will get warm.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I have all the tools and connectors, so it’s pretty easy for me.
There is a ground wire and a hot wire. Doo uses a rheostat type controller for the hand warmers. You will only have HOT through the Polaris hand warmer switch no matter if you wire into hi or low.
I tried to install the Polaris hand warmers, they are to long and bunch up. You could use the old ‘90 short style and rewire them. I prefer the Doo style. They will get warm.
Nice - so you needed to replace the connectors inside the plug as well? I have the RSI risers on my RMK - I think I can just get a longer pivoting risers and should be good to go.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
The connectors inside the plug, yes. The pins on the Doo hand warmers were the wrong ones.

Cool. I’m assuming Amazon could be a resource for the connectors. Worse case I could just use the old connectors and splice. Do you recall which location in the plug the doo heaters were installed?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Cool. I’m assuming Amazon could be a resource for the connectors. Worse case I could just use the old connectors and splice. Do you recall which location in the plug the doo heaters were installed?

Anytime I have had to replace a heated grip or thumb warmer it seems I can find a much better priced element or flipper that has the wrong connector. I always just cut and splice but do it where the protective webbed sleeve can slide over so you can't see the connection.

I just did one heated element and the thumb warmer on my 19 RMK and I used parts from a Proride as they where 1/3 the cost from my parts wholesaler rather than OEM.

I think TRS is implying that the Doo heater elements don't have high and low coils so you won't be able to go to low temp if you use them.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Anytime I have had to replace a heated grip or thumb warmer it seems I can find a much better priced element or flipper that has the wrong connector. I always just cut and splice but do it where the protective webbed sleeve can slide over so you can't see the connection.

I just did one heated element and the thumb warmer on my 19 RMK and I used parts from a Proride as they where 1/3 the cost from my parts wholesaler rather than OEM.

I think TRS is implying that the Doo heater elements don't have high and low coils so you won't be able to go to low temp if you use them.
Sounds good - I'm good with just having hi - run on that 90% of the time anyways. Old hands love the heat. :) . I have a 19 as well (850) - so I'm assuming I just need to identify the ground and the high? Or does it matter - and may only work when I have the switch on low or high depending on which connector I hit. Hope that makes sense. Super pumped to try the skinnier bars. I switched to a Munster Throttle and that allowed better grip and helped me a bunch - this will be nice. Any idea if the rise of the Doo bars is an inch? Trying to end up with around 7" total rise to match the Polaris high bars.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Sounds good - I'm good with just having hi - run on that 90% of the time anyways. Old hands love the heat. :) . I have a 19 as well (850) - so I'm assuming I just need to identify the ground and the high? Or does it matter - and may only work when I have the switch on low or high depending on which connector I hit. Hope that makes sense. Super pumped to try the skinnier bars. I switched to a Munster Throttle and that allowed better grip and helped me a bunch - this will be nice. Any idea if the rise of the Doo bars is an inch? Trying to end up with around 7" total rise to match the Polaris high bars.
If you run both the high and low power wires from the sled to one side of the element and ground to the other, you will get high heat when your rocker is either up and down and off when in the middle. From memory I think you will find blue, blue with red stripe and brown wires. The brown will be ground. Double check my memory by ohming each wire to ground and the one with no resistance (short to ground) will be your ground wire.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
If you run both the high and low power wires from the sled to one side of the element and ground to the other, you will get high heat when your rocker is either up and down and off when in the middle. From memory I think you will find blue, blue with red stripe and brown wires. The brown will be ground. Double check my memory by ohming each wire to ground and the one with no resistance (short to ground) will be your ground wire.

Thank you !!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Hope this helps.
Make sure you hook both elements up to hi or low.
The connector is also keyed different than a standard Weatherpack.
DD5D79D2-8ED3-4280-A28B-64D2C7D95B98.jpeg

Last edited:

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
I did the regular Doo Summit bars. from a 2018 Manta green. Not a exact match. but close enough

Ran them with out the cork. Worked horrible. no real heat. I used the RSI grip heaters. they are plug n play. but I ended up adding the Doo cork. WOW. they work awesome. Grips feel a bit thicker.

Also used some other parts to make it look a bit different. cut apart a Doo riser and used some other stuff to fracknstein it all toghet

Cheers

Allan

IMG_3481.jpeg IMG_3492.jpeg IMG_3504.jpeg IMG_3719.jpeg

Premium Features