• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does the smart carb air scoop suck or blow?

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Ran a 38, then 40, then back to a 38 on my modded 300 Xc. Tried q11 rod q9,q7,q5 and a test needle.What I found was I could not keep egt temps down at wide open with a setting that would make the bike idle descent. Corey and Randy went out of there way to help me and am very thankful to both if them for there patients. With that being said, my bike would over temp [1300+] when I had my idle set good,about 70 clicks from lean. When I set it at 40-50 clicks it would not over temp, but would not idle, load up, and fuel usage went in the toilet. I tried the high flow noozle, removed green floatie balls, set fuel. BOwl high and low, but still either over temped or didn't idle. I gave up here a month ago and returned carb. I also tried a 40 on a project 500 kx and I had the same results. Didn't want to go back to the stocker so in a last ditch effort ordered up a lectron, carb came with a lean needle for dirt and a richer needle for snow. Been out three times, last two with a 25 dollar 3-4 needle as smarty seemed to have more torgue with q5. Problem solved for my 300 and I beleive it is as altitude compensating as the smarty. This is not a smarty bash as Corey treated me VERY fair, just my experience.

Last edited:
J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Had a similar experience with my smarty. The company treated me right also though so i appreciate that.
Looked at the Lectron and have played with power jets in the past, They work! Great idea on their part. I will be trying one sometime in the future!
Thanks for your honest write-up

Premium Features