• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

does the bike really need a backup kick starter

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I building a yeti from scratch and looking for the best new bike, I,m finding some don't have a kick starter, should that be a concern?. I'm hearing the yz 450FX is best bike , is this info truthful?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Yes!!!!!!!!!!! Miles in the back country ... Waist high snow... Then saying I guess I am walking because my battery died ... I bet you would pay a few thousand for that option then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scottbilt95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
golden, colorado
scottbiltracing.us
kickstarter

or get a yz450f and ask yourself "do i need an electric starter?" :cool:
seriously, i just towed out a m1100t cat a few weeks ago week with a dead battery. if i owned a bike with an electric start, i would feel a lot better if it had a kickstarter as well.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
or get a yz450f and ask yourself "do i need an electric starter?" :cool:
seriously, i just towed out a m1100t cat a few weeks ago week with a dead battery. if i owned a bike with an electric start, i would feel a lot better if it had a kickstarter as well.

No one had a clutch-start strap? I always have one...what if your recoil broke? I have also seen, believe it or not, a snowmobile tow-started. Its possible if you're resoursefull and understand how the clutches work.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
No one had a clutch-start strap? I always have one...what if your recoil broke? I have also seen, believe it or not, a snowmobile tow-started. Its possible if you're resoursefull and understand how the clutches work.

Just did that this weekend. Not the easiest task, but doable. Better have a sled around to pull you though if you're in the back country. It was all we could do to get it going behind an M8000 153 with 3" track.

Personally, I wouldn't run a bike without a kick start. On my last ride some snow / moisture got into the starter button (I think this was the problem?) and my e-start wouldn't work. Without the kick start, my day would have been done.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Before I bought an e-start on MX bike I was of the same opinion as most people here.... not a good idea. 3 seasons on e-start only and I've only had to use my jump pack ONCE out of, guessing, 70-80 days riding. The reason for the one time use of the jump pack? My positive battery cable had rubbed my subframe and grounded out.

No fear here anymore. And if you have an issue with your button freezing you just need to pull it apart and blow out the moisture. Mine got full from a day of rain. I was surprised how easily the button comes apart to clean.

N
Jan 14, 2016
I would say yes. I had to get towed out last (first trip on bike) out. I believe the culprit was a loose starter post, where I attach the positive cable from the battery. The post was loose in the starter. I was dead in the water. 7 hours for 5 guys later, we were out.

However, with some good, thorough preventative maintenance, dielectric grease and check connections, and the jump pack, you would probably be okay. I paid $350 to add a kicker to my 2011 ktm350sxf.

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
I would say yes. I had to get towed out last (first trip on bike) out. I believe the culprit was a loose starter post, where I attach the positive cable from the battery. The post was loose in the starter. I was dead in the water. 7 hours for 5 guys later, we were out.

However, with some good, thorough preventative maintenance, dielectric grease and check connections, and the jump pack, you would probably be okay. I paid $350 to add a kicker to my 2011 ktm350sxf.

Haha.....I figured you'd be chiming in on this one!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

I think it would be vertually impossible to start an 1100t with a strap. As far as bikes go had quite a few without kickstart. Either ride with jump cables and another bike with a battery or take a small jump pack

scottbilt95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
golden, colorado
scottbiltracing.us
back-up kick starter

never even considered a clutch start strap/rope. have used them successfully on 2 strokes but, if an 1100t primary is as hard to turn as a mountain apex, i would estimate those odds at slim to none. that being said, maybe the cats are easier. i will let the guy know.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

I guess I surely want to choose a bike with a kick starter, so what 450,s fit that list? and still get MX performance power?. I would love to stay with KTM since I can use the wheels in the dirt on my other bikes butt it don't look like KTM has an option without going to a de tuned XCW model.

H
Oct 10, 2019
Not sure how but it appears my starter was constantly saturated with water. It died last ride.

Attachments

• IMG-6325.jpg
    IMG-6325.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-6324.jpg
    IMG-6324.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 21
G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I wish I had a kicker on my 19 Husqvarna 450 FX. I'm not sure it would help it start in the cold but sure couldn't hurt.

I just want to kick all these manufacturers in the nuts for taking the kicker off.

Mine cracks pretty slow to start. Eventually it cranks faster and usually will start, but lately I have just been skipping that and hooking the jump pack up. It cranks a lot faster with antigravity jump pack.

However, I don't trust it to start when the temp is below + 10 F and I transport it in the back of my truck an hour or two away (even with the jump pack). Here in Montana, below 10 is most of the time. I have to use my trailer just to make sure it will start.

One day I thought it would be warmer but it ended up being -15 at the parking lot. Even with jump pack, it wouldn't even think about firing up. Had to drag it into my buddy's heated trailer.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Only time it might matter is if you don't have a way to heat the bike. We stay in a back county cabin every year on new years and it's always way below zero at night. Even the kick start bikes sometimes need a propane torch to heat the block but they do start quicker than the estart bikes. I'm not the guy to ask if a ktm is better than a yzfx these days but if that seems true for any reason I would probably get a ktm and at least bring a torch to the parking lot. Once you get it running it should fire right up the rest of the day unless you break something electrical. And the water seems to get into the strangest places on a powder day so anything can fail.

Premium Features