• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does a 16" track fit in the stock tunnel?????

Sep 17, 2009
Oregon
Trying to see if anyone has been able to fit a 16" wide track in place of the stock 15". I measured and I have about 16.5" inside tunnel clearance. Found a good deal on a track so I might just try it out. Thanks Chris

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Trying to see if anyone has been able to fit a 16" wide track in place of the stock 15". I measured and I have about 16.5" inside tunnel clearance. Found a good deal on a track so I might just try it out. Thanks Chris

Yes, it fits fine.. You have to grind down one of the bolts that hold the chaincase or it will rub on the track..

Get the 16" it makes a nice difference inthe steep and deep..

DO NOT get anything over a 2" paddle unless you have a drop and roll or you will lose performance.. STAY with the 2"!!!!

Kelsey

Sep 17, 2009
Oregon
Cool thanks. My 06 Rev with the 16" track was awesome. Hopefully I can get this track and get it boosted before winter starts up here. Just a bare tunnel and bulkhead now. Thanks Chris

S
i believe the early build rev's had an extra piece for relocating the "problem" bolt-it's an L shaped mount that is secured by a short bolt to the ear on the c-case and shifts the "through bolt" to a point outside the arc of the track.:face-icon-small-happs-another spot to watch is between the stiffening ribs on the rear suspension brackets

ArcticDoo2

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2007
Eastern SD
I put a 16 wide under my 01 Summit 700 without doing a thing to it. I didn't have to grind any bolts off or anything and nothing is rubbing on the track... Maybe I just got lucky? Just thought I'd help you save a little time too just in case you don't have to grind that bolt at all either.

Sep 17, 2009
Oregon
Sweet man. Looks like I got room to work with here. I'll make it fit one way or another!!! If you aint cuttin it aint custom!!

L

LRD

Mar 27, 2002
I cut a piece of wood or plastic pipe, whatever to 16" and run it through the tunnel where the track runs to look for rivets or bolts sticking out to far. I also replace the hex head bolts with washers holding the rear bumper with button head allen bolts with no washers (be sure to put antiseize on them as they can get tight with corrosion and not much for the allen wrench to grab, this from experience).

Good Luck

PS Drivers have to be placed perfect on drive shaft and skid has to be square to tunnel and driveshaft, just a little off will cause a problem.

Last edited:
R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com

The ZX chassis does not respond well to tracks with larger than 2" paddles.. They simply lose performance..

This has a lot to do with the under tunnel turbulence..

If you drop and roll it, then you get the gains from the larger track. But without the drop and roll... the taller lugs actually rob major track speed...

Kelsey

Sep 17, 2009
Oregon
Yeah but the Summit Highmark come stock with 2" lug height so I aint going to be changing the track height. Just the width. Can't wait. The 06 Summit that I have is awesome with the 16" wide so I sure hope its just as good on my 01.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Yeah but the Summit Highmark come stock with 2" lug height so I aint going to be changing the track height. Just the width. Can't wait. The 06 Summit that I have is awesome with the 16" wide so I sure hope its just as good on my 01.

The 06 and 07 Summit have 2.25" tracks.. So, they would be better with the drop and roll ..

Vanamburg Ent. would be the best to contact for the drop and roll kits.. Specialty Sleds in Edmonton also has them (I think)

Kelsey

M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
16" track is the fourth best mod for a ZX.

First lightweight quite can.
Second lightweight hood.
Third Lightweight Seat.

Really? Not arguing, but asking. I've got a bone-stock 03 700, planning on putting a 16" wide track on this fall.

How much weight is removed with the above 3 things? 8+8+8? 24#?

I'd have thought that extra track/flotation would, umm, "outweigh" 24# (and it seems to me that 24# is pretty optimistic).

I'd just have thought the track would be the best, then hood/seat/can, but that's uneducated.

Hood - taking weight off the front helps get the sled up and out faster?

Dunno. I have a tough time justifying $400 for the seat (the Boss seats are certainly nice, but owww, $400? Ouch. The stock seat just does not seem that BAD to me).

Interesting thread, and very relevant. I was planning on selling my 99 670x this fall, taking that money +$$$$ and buying a Rev/XP, but after thinking about it, my 700 does MOST of what I want it to very well - and adding a wider track/making it a bit lighter seems like it'd make me VERY happy with it (instead of just "really happy" with it?), and that's bunches (!!!!) cheaper...

...but if the hood/can/seat really make that much difference, I'll do it!

Iain

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Yha, I ran Simmons on mine also, the only thing that would keep the nose from diving. loved them also.

I forget the exact weights, but a lightweight hood only weighs about 7 pounds, a lightweight seat only weighted around about 5 pounds. I made mine, so they only cost me a $200 together. and it made a world of difference. The nose of the sled felt like it was 10 times lighter, and you could throw the sled over on it's side. I think the stock hood weights almost 30 pounds, and the seat weights like 15 pounds.

So, cost wise, I think the seat and hood, where the easiest for me. I have seen ZX boss seats cheap, used.

The can is a easy must, you can find a used one cheap. My sled came with one.

The track was a $400 change, and did make the sled much better.

The Simmons where about $500, with mounting hardware, and keep it from diving. I'm sure you can find some used ones.

So, my list was cost driven, based on my abilities.

Of course, the best thing, is to find someone selling a sled with all this stuff already installed, and giving away the add-ons, as part of the sled.

Premium Features