• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you finance your sled or pay up front?

B
Oct 26, 2003
Not trying to be nosy, just curious if most guys have to finance a new sled or are able to whip out the checkbook and be done with it?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Never buy toys on time!
I do buy a lot of parts on time though
I bought my first new sled with moms help at twelve. All my farming money and mowing money. I traded that when I saved up again for a formula 500
Gradually worked my way up the ladder trade by trade. So buying a new sled was never more than five grand.
Wait I take that back, I paid straight up for a 2008 xp 7900 bux . Sold it for 7200 and the 09 was a bit more pricy. But not like starting over pricy

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
If I were to start from scratch now I guess I'd find a good used 2010 ish sled. Then set it up with some aftermarket stuff that might help it retain the same value as I paid for a couple years till I saved up for something newer yet and repeat

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
My take on it is if you qualify for a good loan and payments are not difficult for you to come up with it can be a reasonable route to take. For example, the local credit union has recreational vehicle loans at 2.65% for 36months and pays 3.00% on checking accounts up to 15k. That's cheap money if you have good credit. Sure cash is king but if you're responsible about it I don't see any issues with it. Someone on here gave the advice to only finance one thing (other than home) at a time.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I think the guys that are paying on loans are going to be less likely to reply.

However, I can tell you that my last three Polaris sleds have been purchased on their financing because the zero interest and it's free money(take that guys paying cash!). I usually pay them off after the first year or sell them so I can do it over again next year!

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
People that pay cash for 12-14k sleds instead of financing at 0% are throwing away money. The math never lies. I think depending on market returns for your chosen investment you could probably even make money financing up to a rate of 2 or 3% or at the very least break even letting your investment pay the financing.

Let your money make money for you and pay as little as you can for your toys. They have horrible depreciation.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Sure if u can finiance it for 0% then its a good move otherwise I would be paying only cash!

Don't all four makes provide this (with good credit)? They almost have to.

My Duramax is 0% financing too. I would never pay an extra dime on that. If I had all the money to pay it off plus another million, I still wouldn't pay it off. Let somebody else's coin pay the interest!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
So if you had the money to pay off your 0% debt you wouldn't? Freeing up a 500 or so monthly payment would allow me to pay off my house that much quicker. Feeing up debt gives me more money everg month to work with. Some day all you have left to pay for is taxes utilities and insurance if you free up enough debt.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
So if you had the money to pay off your 0% debt you wouldn't? Freeing up a 500 or so monthly payment would allow me to pay off my house that much quicker. Feeing up debt gives me more money everg month to work with. Some day all you have left to pay for is taxes utilities and insurance if you free up enough debt.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

C'mon man. Why pay off that 0% car or snowmobile when you can just add that money to an extra house payment. Do you realize how much that knocks off of your house? Depending on how much you pay in interest on your mortgage, it could be huge!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
C'mon man. Why pay off that 0% car or snowmobile when you can just add that money to an extra house payment. Do you realize how much that knocks off of your house? Depending on how much you pay in interest on your mortgage, it could be huge!

I agree..if ya got the cash to eliminate a 14000 dollars zero percent debt its much wiser to throw that money at a interest bearing debt..

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
People that pay cash for 12-14k sleds instead of financing at 0% are throwing away money. The math never lies. I think depending on market returns for your chosen investment you could probably even make money financing up to a rate of 2 or 3% or at the very least break even letting your investment pay the financing.

Let your money make money for you and pay as little as you can for your toys. They have horrible depreciation.

Bingo. I'll be financing a portion of a sled this season. BRKB is up 33.8%this year:face-icon-small-ton. It goes against my Midwest upbringing but when I take the knee-jerk reaction out of the equation and consider the math it's not so bad. At one motor a season on my RMK I'm already paying the same as buying a new sled, but now I'll have a warranty and some resale value.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
I work for a credit union. With my employee discount my 12 pro is financed at 0.24% The payment is ahead of depreciation. I have no desire to pay it off. Using my cash on other things. Worse case scenario I could unload it tomorrow for what I owe on it. Just my 2 cents

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com

Because most people don't have this much money that they can just plunk down that much on their house or the vehicle. But in case your really really wealthy than it doesn't really matter. But most of us have to budget our money. And if I can pay off something that takes 500 dollars out of my budget every month or more then I can move that money to the next debt. It builds momentum and motivates you to pay off more. But if you plunk the entire amount on your mortgage you still owe on your truck and your house and you may get discouraged long term. My interest rate on my house is 3.5%. I start making a $500 dollar extra principle payment every month that will make a difference as well.

My points is that is is hard to build wealth when you have so much cash going out per month to payments. 0% is pretty uncommon now days for a long term truck payment. I've seen it for 6 months or so to suck you in but that is about it.

Premium Features