• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do i need a Recluse

B
Apr 2, 2012
I have a 2020 xcf 450 , riding it this summer I notice it has a tall 1st gear. Getting a 2022 Yeti 129 for winter. How is that going to work in tight trees , am I going to have stall issues ? Anybody with the same setup have an opinion ?

E
Dec 19, 2007
It kinda depends on you. But I'm guessing if you can even ride the 450 on a dirt trail at all you should be fine in the snow. Starting in first takes no skill because the gearing on a snow bike is crazy low. But if you like to ride in slow trees in 2nd or 3rd and use the clutch instead of down shifting then you could bog and lose your ground speed if you don't have the clutch skills. Eventually you will learn and be a better rider without the recluse. Also you will never be running low enough rpm for it to flame out like they do in the dirt. The only time my clutch skills fail me is if the snow is too deep to hit the shifter and I try to slip it into power band after missing a down shift. In this case a recluse would be even worse because it won't let you feather back to speed like you can with the full manual. Also remember you can't pull start the bike with a recluse if the battery dies or you drown the bike in a creek you'r done.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Depends if you are good at keeping a finger on the clutch at all times so you can easily modulate the power at any given moment. With that said, I have a Reklouse on my XC-F 450 I've been riding on the dirt. My bike, I bought ever so slightly used and the guy had already installed one and it is great. As a beginner it's a life saver. I've never stalled my 450 in any gear. One less thing to think about while learning. However, I do practice riding with one finger always on the clutch and pull it in when I think I should for good practice.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.
I def disagree with above comment. My Rekluse required no more maintenance than any other clutch I have had. And never had it cause a failure.

A Rekluse is an awesome clutch and works great. It’s cheating basically. Do you need one? Nope. Will it make your life a little easier on the snow? Absolutely.

Jan 21, 2010
Leduc Alberta
It kinda depends on you. But I'm guessing if you can even ride the 450 on a dirt trail at all you should be fine in the snow. Starting in first takes no skill because the gearing on a snow bike is crazy low. But if you like to ride in slow trees in 2nd or 3rd and use the clutch instead of down shifting then you could bog and lose your ground speed if you don't have the clutch skills. Eventually you will learn and be a better rider without the recluse. Also you will never be running low enough rpm for it to flame out like they do in the dirt. The only time my clutch skills fail me is if the snow is too deep to hit the shifter and I try to slip it into power band after missing a down shift. In this case a recluse would be even worse because it won't let you feather back to speed like you can with the full manual. Also remember you can't pull start the bike with a recluse if the battery dies or you drown the bike in a creek you'r done.

Haven’t had to try it to see if it’s possible yet. but the manual for my 2019 kawi says you can’t bump start them. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E
Dec 19, 2007
You can tow a bike with a bike to bump start. The guy doing the pulling will hate it but keep the rope as straight as you can and don't let the back guy cut corners have him stay right behind you.

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.
I could have sworn Rekluse says there is a way to go a bump start with theirs.

From their site: All Rekluse Auto Clutches can be configured to bump-start the engine in the event your normal starting system fails. However, they cannot be configured for bump-starting on the go like a standard clutch. One must stop the motorcycle and make an adjustment to bump start and then make another adjustment to continue riding once the engine fires. Bump-starting can be done to get you home.

C
Apr 22, 2019
I could have sworn Rekluse says there is a way to go a bump start with theirs.

From their site: All Rekluse Auto Clutches can be configured to bump-start the engine in the event your normal starting system fails. However, they cannot be configured for bump-starting on the go like a standard clutch. One must stop the motorcycle and make an adjustment to bump start and then make another adjustment to continue riding once the engine fires. Bump-starting can be done to get you home.
Correct...you can bump start a bike with a rekluse. You need to back the adjuster allen on the slave cylinder...nearly all the way out, and then the clutch acts like a normal clutch. Also and on another note....once the bikes rpm is above the set point of the Rekluse (typically around 2k-2500 rpm)...it acts just like a standard clutch (ie you can feather it, and disengage it to gain rpm when needed.) On a snow bike...a rekluse is a big plus for not stalling...and getting ones self unstuck...ie you can pull on the bike from the side while giving it some throttle. I have found that most naysayers have never even tried one...chuckle.

D
Feb 23, 2017
Cascades
ill second the post above.

yep you can bump start it, just some quick turns on the adjustable slave cylinder and you're good to go.

Rekluse also retains full clutch control, although the lever pull is harder than OEM ktm/husky.

No added maintenance, except for maybe adjusting the slave cylinder ever so often (super easy) and aslong as you install it correctly it won't give you any problems.

as mentioned above it can prevent stalls towards the end of a long riding day when you get tired and you loose technique, on a snowbike it's also an added bonus of being able to get off the bike in gear and pull the front ski while giving it throttle and hopefully getting yourself out of a trench.

i wouldn't recommend the rekluse for a beginner, learn how to master the clutch first, i also wouldn't recommend the rekluse for newer 2 strokes as their clutch pull is so easy it's not needed IMO.

doing a new snowbike build this year that is similar to yours & i decided to run the rekluse for reasons above... besides, i get plenty of clutch action on my 300 on the dirt.

Do you need one? ... no, not at all
Will it make the already super fun ride even better? ... hell yes

Last edited:
C
Apr 22, 2019
Midwest Mountain Engineering for a clutch lever that reduces the pull force...especially nice after installing a Rekluse. =)

A
Nov 14, 2017
I blew up my KTM motor twice because of my Rekluse.

Disclaimer: I am a Rekluse fan! I have had a Rekluse on my dirt bike since the first Zstart came out over a decade ago. I love the concept and have put them on all my bikes.

Now story time... I had a 2014 SXF 450 with a 520 kit on it. I blew the motor up twice in one year because of the Rekluse. Basically what happens on the snowbike is that the clutch can slip a little sometimes. If you are like me and really work your bike hard it can slip a lot. The friction material on the Rekluse plate comes off and goes into the oil. That material then travels up into the head and basically turns into concrete inside the rocker arms and valves.

I only ran Jaso approved oil. Oil changed every ride. I adjusted/checked my freeplay every ride. I had the bellville washer spring in the clutch set to 3 which is the hardest clamping force. Like I said I have had Rekluse clutches for years and never had a problem. I know what I am doing with these clutches.

The snowbike dealer I take my bike to told me it was the rekluse the first time I blew it up and I scoffed at him. He said he sees it all the time. I laughed at him, replaced my clutch, rebuilt the motor, replaced the Rekluse frictions and slapped her back together. Later that season she blew up again.

This time the dealer showed me how much friction was in my rocker arms and valves.

I love Rekluse, but I don't run one in my snowbike anymore. Honestly I am glad I got rid of it, as riding a snowbike is more fun using a clutch lever all the time.

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
Don't bother imo. I ride a 2016 YZ450F (tall MX 1st) with a 2019 Camso 129 and never really had stalling problems at all. If you can work the clutch a bit youll be fine, worst case keep it in 1st and tractor around. I'll be bolting up a 2022 Yeti 129 this fall as well!

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Easy answer is gear it down a tooth of your counter sprocket.

If you want a rekluse, Get a CX rekluse. Its much stronger then stock, Yes you can bump start it with a quick turn of an allen wrench on the clutch slave. Ive done it. A lot. Push it off a hill, grab 3rd and we are off.

Far as maintenance you should periodically check the "gap". This is done basically by reving the engine with slight tension on the clutch lever. Super difficult. Rekluse recommends you change the teflon pads every 100 hours. I doubt most people do it. Costs $10 and takes about 45min to an hour. Anyone with basic tools can do it.

Premium Features