• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do I mess with a good thing?

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I have just over 500 miles on my 2020 and the thing rips for stock other than a can; so r's are dialed in.

I'm thinking of getting the Kurts gear down kit and clutch kit. My concern is putting it on then the r's are off. Now I know Kurts kit is tried and proven, and they are in the same state as me, but still...

And I know r's can be adjust with weights, but I would have to take the sled to the dealer to adjust weights which is time and money.

Should I mess with a good thing? Is the kit really that much better?

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I have just over 500 miles on my 2020 and the thing rips for stock other than a can; so r's are dialed in.

I'm thinking of getting the Kurts gear down kit and clutch kit. My concern is putting it on then the r's are off. Now I know Kurts kit is tried and proven, and they are in the same state as me, but still...

And I know r's can be adjust with weights, but I would have to take the sled to the dealer to adjust weights which is time and money.

Should I mess with a good thing? Is the kit really that much better?

Weights are really easy to change. No need to pay a dealer for something you can do in less than 15 min. I'm sure there is a YouTube video on how to do it, if you aren't familiar.

IMO A gear down kit makes the sled much easier to ride in a boondocking situation than stock QD1 set up. If you aren't poking around in the woods, then no need to spend the $600ish. With regard to clutching, the advice I received from Kurts when I bought my geardown kit, is that the clutching stays exactly the same. With 500 miles on mine, and no change to clutching, it works awesome.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big difference from my geared down/clutched and buddies stock. More consistent rpm and is always there when needed if that makes sense. More precise and responsive

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Do the gear down, I don't think you would be disappointed. As far as clutch adjustments, there all easy to do and you have all kinds of people that will give you advice if needed.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
Kurts clutching and gear down is a great upgrade on the Axys chasis sled. We have that setup on one of our shop builds, most definately worth it. Tell them which elevation your running at and they will send you the proper weights for it.

Premium Features