• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DJI Phantom 4 Pro + Drone

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Anyone shooting drone video these days.
I am in the hunt for one of the new DJI 4 Pro+ drones.

Hoping against the odds to find one of the new units on sale for Black Friday or Cyber Monday as an advance order.

Seriously doubt I will find one, BUT I am hoping!

http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-4-pro?gclid=CKXmxv-XvtACFZSFfgodMTIDTg#/?_k=6upx67

0541de1b-c68c-4f2a-a424-52cce14d8d24.jpg

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
You know I have had the urge to buy the same one but fear it may be a bit of a impulse then just get bored with it?? Not sure but I keep looking. FYI, I see a lot of them on CL for sale in our area as well to. You may want to check your local CL. One thing I was watching for was if you get a used one they tend to throw in extra's like the case and batteries which are expensive.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You know I have had the urge to buy the same one but fear it may be a bit of a impulse then just get bored with it?? Not sure but I keep looking. FYI, I see a lot of them on CL for sale in our area as well to. You may want to check your local CL. One thing I was watching for was if you get a used one they tend to throw in extra's like the case and batteries which are expensive.

Time has passed and technology has advanced.
The Mavic Pro Platinum has surpassed the Phantom for Snowmobile use
https://www.dji.com/mavic-pro-platinum

N

nfinit100

Oct 1, 2015
Northern CO
mavic still doesn't have the camera the phantom 4+ has, but it fits better on a sled. Maybe the DJI announcement Tuesday will have an upgrade surprise.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, it's a real trade off between size/portability and best possible features.

The phantom is still the best drone, but dang, the maverick is SO portable..

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Does size of the drone play a role in wind stability?

From what I found a year ago when I bought my first drone. Size does matter as your looking at surface area that the wind can catch. However prop speed and weight can overcome a size difference for stability.

Also on the difference between the Mavic Pro and the Phantom 4 That average person would not notice the difference in video performance between the two.

I picked up the Mavic Pro when it was all said and done and have not regretted that purchase at all. The portability of it is more then worth it.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I bought mine from Amazon and bought the "Fly More" combo. It comes with two extra batteries, a case and a changer to be able to charge all 3 batteries. I did not search a ton for the absolute lowest price. All the reputable sellers I had actually heard of before were the same price. But now since it's been out longer I bet a person might be able to find some deals.

As far as all the features if you go here:
https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#video
There are a ton of Mavic specific videos that show them all. But yes it does have the follow feature and a few variations of it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And
There is ALWAYS a new model coming out SOON..

https://fstoppers.com/aerial/new-dji-drone-possible-specifications-and-features-214491

dji-mavic-air-new-speficifations-features-price-spark-tello-mavic2-upgrade-newyork.jpg

DJI will announce a new product on Tuesday. Based on the short teaser published a few days ago, we know that this product will be a foldable drone. Everything beyond that is unknown. However, we can analyze DJI's past strategy and actual technological development to estimate the possible specifications and features that this new drone may offer.

Unlikely to Happen

New Phantom or Inspire
The title of the teaser is "Adventure Unfolds" suggesting that this new drone will be in the Mavic league (foldable and portable). The DJI Inspire 2 is a professional product with a longer life cycle. It was only announced in November 2016 and DJI offered a significant camera upgrade option (X7) a few months ago. The Inspire 2 is not due for replacement until at least late 2018 or 2019. As for the next Phantom, I don’t expect any announcements before spring or summer 2018, perhaps even later.

Mavic with One-Inch Sensor
DJI implemented a one-inch sensor for the first time on the Phantom 4 Pro which was a massive upgrade from the previous Phantoms fitted with a small 1/2.3-inch sensor. The image quality improvement was significant and the Mavic became the standard 1/2.3-inch sensor drone in the DJI lineup. Based on this upgrade, some people hope that DJI will upgrade the Mavic with a larger sensor. However, as much as I would like to get a one-inch sensor on a small drone package, this feature is very unlikely to be added due to physical restrictions. The Mavic camera and gimbal are extremely small and there is no room for a one-inch sensor. Integrating this type of camera would require a large piece of glass, and larger and more powerful motors to handle the load, hence longer skids with higher ground clearance. The gimbal dampening system would have to be reinforced as well. The difference of weight and balance would also impact the frame design. In other words, making a small drone with a large sensor is very challenging. Finally, it seems that DJI now has a complete range of drones with dedicated specifications. The Inspire for professionals with the choice of a Micro Four Thirds (X5S) or APS-C camera (X7). The semi-pro Phantom 4 Pro is equipped with a one-inch sensor while the Mavic and the Spark take the entry level spot with their tiny 1/2.3-inch sensors.
autel-evo-dji-mavic-fold-foldable-portable-drone-4k60.jpg
The Autel EVO recently announced at the CES. A potential challenger of the DJI Mavic Pro.

Small Toy or Racing Drone
The low end of the market segment is already very crowded, but DJI just announced a partnership with Intel and another Chinese manufacturer, Ryze Tech, to launch the Tello. This $100 micro drone is a cheap toy that can perform aerobatic moves. The range is limited and the fixed camera can only record 720p video and 5-megapixel pictures, just enough to share low quality content on Instagram or Facebook.
tello-dji-drone-aerial-toy-race-racing-micro-nano-720-ryze.jpg
The DJI Ryze Tello. A $100 micro drone produced by Ryze Tech in partnership with Intel and DJI.

I also don’t believe that DJI will release a racing drone this time. First, because racing drones must be basic and sturdy to resist the multitude of crashes and impacts inherent to that type of flight. A fragile folding frame contradicts this philosophy. Finally, the DJI teaser shows what seems to be a collision avoidance sensor. That type of sensor would be a waste of space and money on a racing drone. It would also be very fragile and susceptible to damage in case of a crash.

Likely to Happen

A New Mavic
The Mavic Pro was announced over a year ago in October 2016, an eternity ago in the fast-moving world of drones. Spring and summer are the seasons for outdoor drone use, as the weather is nice and people travel for vacation. Drone sales tend to increase at this time of the year and a new Mavic could boost the financial results. Another reason to upgrade the Mavic is the incoming competition of Autel which just announced a Mavic copycat at CES. Dubbed EVO, this foldable and portable drone comes with a 4K60 mode while the Mavic only reaches 4K30. Autel aligned its price to match the Mavic’s $999. However, Autel didn’t indicate a release date for the EVO and little is known about its specifications and features. DJI could simply update the Mavic to stay ahead of the competition and maintain its leadership. A new Mavic would probably offer a higher frame rate at 4K60 and a much needed bitrate boost. The current 60 Mbps is very limited for 4K video. As with the Phantom, the new Mavic will probably feature 100 Mbps in h.264 or h.265. Making a water-resistant aircraft could be interesting for certain type of usage around water and ocean. However, the shape of the new drone exposed in the teaser suggests that the frame will be different. If you go to the URL "www.dji.com/mavic-air," the website currently sends you back to the DJI announcement page. Coincidence?

Mavic Light or Spark Plus?
At the moment, the Spark drone is available at $370 and the Mavic comes at $860. Perhaps, DJI wants to fill the gap and introduce a new product between those two. The Spark is good enough to produce short videos but the camera is limited to 1080 resolution stabilized on two axis (the yaw stabilization is missing). On the other end, the Mavic can capture 4K video on a fully stabilized platform but the price and size are too much for some customers.

I personally believe that the consumer drone market is starting to get saturated. Current Mavic owners are satisfied and don’t see the point of spending another $1,000 to get a few extra features like higher bitrate or additional flight time. GoPro was in the same situation after the initial action camera surge. Why purchase a GoPro 5 when the GoPro 3 still does the job? Fortunately for DJI, smartphones don’t fly yet but the Shenzhen Company has to face a similar challenge: convince existing customers to upgrade and attract the last bit of non-drone users.
dji-spark_drone-aerial-uav.jpg
The DJI Spark. An affordable entry level option released in 2017. A new version with a three axis gimbal would be welcome.

A new product in the $600-$800 range could do the job. Something with better photo-video features than the Spark but smaller and cheaper than the Mavic. The main question is to know if this new aircraft will be Spark Plus or a Mavic Light. Implementing a three-axis gimbal on the Spark (only two axis today) will be enough to move this drone in the upper segment and justify a price increase. With a maximum resolution of 1080, it would not compete with the actual Mavic shooting in 4K and able to fly for 25 minutes against 13 minutes for the Spark.

A smaller Mavic Light or Air with the same image feature (4K, three-axis gimbal) would cannibalize the sales of the actual Mavic Pro and Mavic Platinum. DJI would have to downgrade some features on this new drone. They’ve already done that in the past with a great variety of Phantom versions. We had the Pro, Advanced, Platinum, Obsidian Standard, 4K, Plus, SE, Vision, and so on. The creativity of the marketing department is endless. Some features of the new drone would be removed or limited. For instance, DJI can play with the radio control link (reduced range, different frequencies), the maximum resolution and frame rate (4K versus 1080), flight time, or maximum speed to differentiate the products from one another.

Another solution to avoid product cannibalization is to make several announcements on January 23: a new drone plus an upgraded version of the Mavic. The small inventory of actual Mavic or Spark would be discounted. The price of these two drones dropped recently.

As for the release date, I would say March because the traditional Chinese New Year celebration coming next month will disrupt the entire production lines of the Chinese factories. For what it’s worth (not much), this is my guesstimate of the new DJI drone. The official announcement will take place in New York on Tuesday at 10 a.m EST. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

skibumsd

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
I have had a couple of the phantoms and now have the mavic. I would highly recommend the mavic from the portability for sleds and any outdoor adventures. The mavic and phantom will do the follow me mode and have all the other smart modes to make some really cool shots without having to fly the drone by hand. As mentioned earlier the average person would not notice a difference in the phantom 4 or mavic pics and video. The new one coming out is a smaller mavic and is going to have less flight time so i would say stick with the bigger mavic. The wind issues is more of a software and hardware capability once the drone is the size of the mavic and phantoms. The mavic and phantom will top out around 40mph so if you get downwind or in a stronger wind it may get blown away.

ATVPT

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
www.youtube.com
And
There is ALWAYS a new model coming out SOON..

https://fstoppers.com/aerial/new-dji-drone-possible-specifications-and-features-214491

dji-mavic-air-new-speficifations-features-price-spark-tello-mavic2-upgrade-newyork.jpg

DJI will announce a new product on Tuesday. Based on the short teaser published a few days ago, we know that this product will be a foldable drone. Everything beyond that is unknown. However, we can analyze DJI's past strategy and actual technological development to estimate the possible specifications and features that this new drone may offer.

Unlikely to Happen

New Phantom or Inspire
The title of the teaser is "Adventure Unfolds" suggesting that this new drone will be in the Mavic league (foldable and portable). The DJI Inspire 2 is a professional product with a longer life cycle. It was only announced in November 2016 and DJI offered a significant camera upgrade option (X7) a few months ago. The Inspire 2 is not due for replacement until at least late 2018 or 2019. As for the next Phantom, I don’t expect any announcements before spring or summer 2018, perhaps even later.

Mavic with One-Inch Sensor
DJI implemented a one-inch sensor for the first time on the Phantom 4 Pro which was a massive upgrade from the previous Phantoms fitted with a small 1/2.3-inch sensor. The image quality improvement was significant and the Mavic became the standard 1/2.3-inch sensor drone in the DJI lineup. Based on this upgrade, some people hope that DJI will upgrade the Mavic with a larger sensor. However, as much as I would like to get a one-inch sensor on a small drone package, this feature is very unlikely to be added due to physical restrictions. The Mavic camera and gimbal are extremely small and there is no room for a one-inch sensor. Integrating this type of camera would require a large piece of glass, and larger and more powerful motors to handle the load, hence longer skids with higher ground clearance. The gimbal dampening system would have to be reinforced as well. The difference of weight and balance would also impact the frame design. In other words, making a small drone with a large sensor is very challenging. Finally, it seems that DJI now has a complete range of drones with dedicated specifications. The Inspire for professionals with the choice of a Micro Four Thirds (X5S) or APS-C camera (X7). The semi-pro Phantom 4 Pro is equipped with a one-inch sensor while the Mavic and the Spark take the entry level spot with their tiny 1/2.3-inch sensors.
autel-evo-dji-mavic-fold-foldable-portable-drone-4k60.jpg
The Autel EVO recently announced at the CES. A potential challenger of the DJI Mavic Pro.

Small Toy or Racing Drone
The low end of the market segment is already very crowded, but DJI just announced a partnership with Intel and another Chinese manufacturer, Ryze Tech, to launch the Tello. This $100 micro drone is a cheap toy that can perform aerobatic moves. The range is limited and the fixed camera can only record 720p video and 5-megapixel pictures, just enough to share low quality content on Instagram or Facebook.
tello-dji-drone-aerial-toy-race-racing-micro-nano-720-ryze.jpg
The DJI Ryze Tello. A $100 micro drone produced by Ryze Tech in partnership with Intel and DJI.

I also don’t believe that DJI will release a racing drone this time. First, because racing drones must be basic and sturdy to resist the multitude of crashes and impacts inherent to that type of flight. A fragile folding frame contradicts this philosophy. Finally, the DJI teaser shows what seems to be a collision avoidance sensor. That type of sensor would be a waste of space and money on a racing drone. It would also be very fragile and susceptible to damage in case of a crash.

Likely to Happen

A New Mavic
The Mavic Pro was announced over a year ago in October 2016, an eternity ago in the fast-moving world of drones. Spring and summer are the seasons for outdoor drone use, as the weather is nice and people travel for vacation. Drone sales tend to increase at this time of the year and a new Mavic could boost the financial results. Another reason to upgrade the Mavic is the incoming competition of Autel which just announced a Mavic copycat at CES. Dubbed EVO, this foldable and portable drone comes with a 4K60 mode while the Mavic only reaches 4K30. Autel aligned its price to match the Mavic’s $999. However, Autel didn’t indicate a release date for the EVO and little is known about its specifications and features. DJI could simply update the Mavic to stay ahead of the competition and maintain its leadership. A new Mavic would probably offer a higher frame rate at 4K60 and a much needed bitrate boost. The current 60 Mbps is very limited for 4K video. As with the Phantom, the new Mavic will probably feature 100 Mbps in h.264 or h.265. Making a water-resistant aircraft could be interesting for certain type of usage around water and ocean. However, the shape of the new drone exposed in the teaser suggests that the frame will be different. If you go to the URL "www.dji.com/mavic-air," the website currently sends you back to the DJI announcement page. Coincidence?

Mavic Light or Spark Plus?
At the moment, the Spark drone is available at $370 and the Mavic comes at $860. Perhaps, DJI wants to fill the gap and introduce a new product between those two. The Spark is good enough to produce short videos but the camera is limited to 1080 resolution stabilized on two axis (the yaw stabilization is missing). On the other end, the Mavic can capture 4K video on a fully stabilized platform but the price and size are too much for some customers.

I personally believe that the consumer drone market is starting to get saturated. Current Mavic owners are satisfied and don’t see the point of spending another $1,000 to get a few extra features like higher bitrate or additional flight time. GoPro was in the same situation after the initial action camera surge. Why purchase a GoPro 5 when the GoPro 3 still does the job? Fortunately for DJI, smartphones don’t fly yet but the Shenzhen Company has to face a similar challenge: convince existing customers to upgrade and attract the last bit of non-drone users.
dji-spark_drone-aerial-uav.jpg
The DJI Spark. An affordable entry level option released in 2017. A new version with a three axis gimbal would be welcome.

A new product in the $600-$800 range could do the job. Something with better photo-video features than the Spark but smaller and cheaper than the Mavic. The main question is to know if this new aircraft will be Spark Plus or a Mavic Light. Implementing a three-axis gimbal on the Spark (only two axis today) will be enough to move this drone in the upper segment and justify a price increase. With a maximum resolution of 1080, it would not compete with the actual Mavic shooting in 4K and able to fly for 25 minutes against 13 minutes for the Spark.

A smaller Mavic Light or Air with the same image feature (4K, three-axis gimbal) would cannibalize the sales of the actual Mavic Pro and Mavic Platinum. DJI would have to downgrade some features on this new drone. They’ve already done that in the past with a great variety of Phantom versions. We had the Pro, Advanced, Platinum, Obsidian Standard, 4K, Plus, SE, Vision, and so on. The creativity of the marketing department is endless. Some features of the new drone would be removed or limited. For instance, DJI can play with the radio control link (reduced range, different frequencies), the maximum resolution and frame rate (4K versus 1080), flight time, or maximum speed to differentiate the products from one another.

Another solution to avoid product cannibalization is to make several announcements on January 23: a new drone plus an upgraded version of the Mavic. The small inventory of actual Mavic or Spark would be discounted. The price of these two drones dropped recently.

As for the release date, I would say March because the traditional Chinese New Year celebration coming next month will disrupt the entire production lines of the Chinese factories. For what it’s worth (not much), this is my guesstimate of the new DJI drone. The official announcement will take place in New York on Tuesday at 10 a.m EST. Stay tuned.

I have been looking for awhile but I have a hard time parting with my cash :juggle:

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
DJI released the new MAVIC AIR this morning

This is going to be the drone for snowmobiling. Compact size and 1080p 120FPS is solid. I'm currently using a Spark and 3DR solo. Spark is awesome size wise, but the 10 minute battery sucks, and 1080p 30FPS is a bummer for action. 3DR is still a killer drone paired with Hero4 Black and modified lens, but it's big and cumbersome to bring out in the backcountry. I went ahead and ordered up the Mavic Air without thinking twice. I was early adopter of Spark too and wasn't disappointed.

With that said, I'll be selling my whole Spark kit once the Air shows up. :face-icon-small-coo

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I have had my Mavic Pro since they first came out and love it.
Granted, I am not a die hard and really dont take it out as much as I should but I have no complaints.
I have flown in much higher winds than recommended, as well as much lower temps with no problem, you just need to be smart and think about what you are doing (ice on the props sucks!).
Now that the new one is out I expect to see the price of the Mavic come down, even though from what I am reading it is superior.
I am local to you, you are welcome to do a hands on before you commit if you want to get a hold of me.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
That thing looks pretty darn cool.

Heres a question.

are there any safety accessories that allow the thing to float??? ... I'd be using it over water videoing my customers boat deliveries etc..

How hard are these things to fly?

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Have the Mavic pro and used it sleeping a few times, had it follow me up a shoot in the spring, first time it did well, but the second time it was to low and could not keep up with the height I was gaining so quickly and crashed.. Wish there was a little better software out for this.. Over all works well

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Some ppl are making there own floats for these, nothing available from DJI that I know of and they don't really recommend flying over water, the sensors have a hard time or something.
That said, there are a lot of ppl that fly successfully over water with no issues.
As far as how hard they are too fly, they can pretty much fly themselves if you let them.
It's amazing how steady they are hands off.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
There are also kits like this for floats:
https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-WATER-protector-BLACK-DRONE/dp/B01N2TAVNJ

But like said the sensors on the bottom don't like water so you can't rely on your safety items when over it.

MH, you will have no problem learning to fly one of these at all. If you ever get to MN let me know and you can take mine out for a test drive. Very easy to fly and work. With that said it takes some time to get smooth with the controls if you are not in any of the automatic follow modes. But that just requires some flight time is all.

Premium Features