• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DJI Mavic Air 2 fly more combo questions.

R
Nov 16, 2016
I just bought a DJI Mavic Air 2 fly more combo. So far, I have flown it for about a total of 30/40 minutes only, and this was not during a snowmobile outing.
I know that I have a lot to learn about it.

I am an iPhone user.

I'd like to ask for any tips from you guys who own and use the DJI Mavic Air 2 while out snowmobiling.

I have a few novice questions and comments:

1..... What size memory card would you suggest buying?
2..... Should I purchase more than one card?
3.... Can the videos be captured and saved directly onto my iPhone?
4..... Can you use the iPhone's Face Time to share a video while in progress (while near Wi-Fi)?
5..... I want to use the "follow me" feature, and would like to hear some tips as for "Does & Donts".
6..... we often ride Central Oregon where we can find plenty of space between the trees for Boon-Docking.

Please toss in any info that I have not yet mentioned.

thank you in advance.

Rick E.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
1. I bought a 128GB card and it is more than enough to take video from several flights, probably several hours of footage before it is full. For reference on my last drone (Phantom 3) I cheaped out and only had an 8 GB card and it would be full in a single flight of footage.
2. I don't see the need for more than one if you get a big enough one.
3. There are settings on the app to have the pics and video cached on your phone. I have mine turned off because it fills up my phone storage fast but you can if that's not an issue. The quality is also lower than when you view the video on a computer directly from the SD card. You can also download the full quality version from the app to your phone, but again it's storage space.
4. I don't know this one but I've seen facebook live streams of drone flights so it must be possible in some fashion.
5. Follow me will work ok in open spaces but if you are having it follow you or a buddy, be aware not to make sudden changes in direction as the drone won't be able to track that fast. Consistent speed and gradual turns in an open meadow it will work fine, doing quick 180's or having trees get between the drone's line of sight of you, it will lose you and stop tracking. I don't use this personally, I just fly manually following other riders in our group. It takes some practice to be good enough with the controls to keep your subject in the shot the whole time. Obviously it is easier the further away you are.

R
Nov 16, 2016
1. I bought a 128GB card and it is more than enough to take video from several flights, probably several hours of footage before it is full. For reference on my last drone (Phantom 3) I cheaped out and only had an 8 GB card and it would be full in a single flight of footage.

I ended up buying a 256 gig card. Looks like I'll be more than covered!

2. I don't see the need for more than one if you get a big enough one.
Excellent!

3. There are settings on the app to have the pics and video cached on your phone. I have mine turned off because it fills up my phone storage fast but you can if that's not an issue. The quality is also lower than when you view the video on a computer directly from the SD card.
That makes sense.

You can also download the full quality version from the app to your phone, but again it's storage space.
Interesting! Thanks.

4. I don't know this one but I've seen facebook live streams of drone flights so it must be possible in some fashion.
I would guess that you'd need to be near a Wi-Fi source for that to occur.

5. Follow me will work ok in open spaces but if you are having it follow you or a buddy, be aware not to make sudden changes in direction as the drone won't be able to track that fast. Consistent speed and gradual turns in an open meadow it will work fine, doing quick 180's or having trees get between the drone's line of sight of you, it will lose you and stop tracking.
I doubt that I'll use that feature unless I'm in open areas.
Fortunately, we often ride Central Oregon where the trees are not too close together.

I don't use this personally, I just fly manually following other riders in our group. It takes some practice to be good enough with the controls to keep your subject in the shot the whole time. Obviously it is easier the further away you are.
Thanks for that info.

I plan to apply a bright colored decal (or vinyl strip) to the drone body to help see it should it become lost!

I've also labeled my batteries 1, 2 and 3.

Please keep the tips coming...... I need to learn all that I can.

Premium Features