• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DIY Watercraft thread

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I was cleaning out the shop and ran across a BRAND NEW UBR/Hotseat style mag housing. Its for the cases that have been machined on the ends not the newer style thats a direct bolt on with no end case modification. It has never been ran but it just needs to have the hole cut for the stator wires to pass through (rectangle shaped hole out the bottom)

$250 shipped in the lower 48

I
Nov 26, 2007
Does anyone know where to get the parts to convert to the rxl style water Pump? Mine has the twin style mag housing and pump and I'd like to fit it into an iqr.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Does anyone know where to get a good water pump (prefer new) for the v belt/ par mag housing set up? as far as I can tell Polaris doesn't sell them anymore and the one I got off ebay is junk.

70ss

Premium Member
Mar 14, 2009
1050/1200 pipes

I'm looking for a nice set of 1050/1200 pipes that will fit my 05 Edge.

Thanks

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Still collectin'

Still gathering 1050 parts (didn't win the big lottery last week....) wondering if there is a particular year/part number Ultra stator, coils and CDI to use with the retapered Ultra flywheel I got from Matty. Wrapping up with some of the little stuff, I'm to the point of needing the big stuff now (crank, cylinders, exhaust--$$$$). Thanks for the help!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I still have that mag housing if someone is wanting one or needs a brand new spare! Just needs the hole where the stator wires pass through

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
general ignition questions

So I'm still working on picking up odds 'n ends yet for this 1050 need advice on ignition parts.

I have an Ultra flywheel already that I got from Mattymac. I found some 650 RXL stators on Ebay, Is there any advantages/disadvantages/limitations to this combination? What should I use for a CDI?

I'm also curious if there is an advantage to one ignition coil to another. I saw some pictures of a motor 70SS has for sale with what looks to be 800XCR coils and mounts that looks like a clean setup.

Just trying to get new electricals where I can I'm trying to try and avoid some headaches.

Thanks for the help!!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
the coils between the ultra and XCR are the same, part number 3085293

As far as the stators go, the 650's have WAY less wattage output than the ultra/XCR stators, and dont know if this is true in the real world or just my personal experience but I have seen way more 650 stators go bad than any of the ultra/xcr stuff.

The XCR CDI's are programmable but not sure who does that anymore, Im biased towards the ultra stator, CDI, coils, and flywheel... it just works!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-POLARI...ash=item360ea0ffbf:g:558AAOSwo4pYRv~o&vxp=mtr

$50 done deal!

CDI's are around the same price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-Assembl...ash=item2cad534509:g:M08AAOSwVyRXTw1J&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
O

Ove

Dec 30, 2007
Norway
Turbed

What turbo people use to 1200cc engine? triple pipes or single pipes and why?
what rpm turbo wake up?

I have glose to GTX3071 but modified turbo.
53mm x 71mm comp. Billet
Comp. housing T04B
55x60 turbin exhaus
Exhaust housing Tial .63

Not tested yet comments?
small

Triple pipes, triple exhaust and triple pipes might be a little finicky for the turbos ?! I would try watercraft jugs, just re-route the coolant flow (or block the aux - small side exhausts in snow jugs).

I know t-cat turbos could work. they had single exh. jugs. Just a tought.

fssss :)

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Triple pipes, triple exhaust and triple pipes might be a little finicky for the turbos ?! I would try watercraft jugs, just re-route the coolant flow (or block the aux - small side exhausts in snow jugs).

I know t-cat turbos could work. they had single exh. jugs. Just a tought.

fssss :)

watercraft cyls wont turn the RPM that the snow cyls will, the porting is completely different. thats the whole point of building this motor... HP/RPM!

The biggest hurdle in doing a triple cyl turbo is you have two exhaust ports open all the time. There are some things that you need to do in order to combat this issue. Its been done before with great results, just need a little outside of the box thinking.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Mattymac, he's been trying to sell it at that price for over two years.

Hardass, I'm looking for a set of racked carbs

O

Ove

Dec 30, 2007
Norway
watercraft cyls wont turn the RPM that the snow cyls will, the porting is completely different. thats the whole point of building this motor... HP/RPM!

The biggest hurdle in doing a triple cyl turbo is you have two exhaust ports open all the time. There are some things that you need to do in order to combat this issue. Its been done before with great results, just need a little outside of the box thinking.

Okay, I never turbed anything. Anyways they say that bigbores are often left unported with the shrunk ports after the bore when turboing the big bores. That way the watercraft porting would be better or atleast easyer to dial in. Like if the turbo forces too much juice thru the motor in the first place. In a twin that is.. That open exhausts should not see THAT much moore backpressure.. ?

I guess your right and that it makes for plenty of effective compression. :)

edit: Run three small turbos :)

Last edited:
Premium Features