• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DIY Watercraft thread

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Anyone find a good solution for an air box in an iqr?

Lshobie on here, or PowerModz on youtube built one for his, but he hasn't uploaded the video of it yet.

You might be able to PM him and see if he can post some pictures of it.

I
Nov 26, 2007
That's pretty creative josh, thanks. I'm going to try to fit a pro rmk tank so I might not have room to copy that, but I like the idea.

Does anyone have tips for putting a triple in an iqr? I've heard there's some cutting and welding on the bulkhead but haven't found specifics. I'll get a motor plate and custom pipes, have a non cooled caliper for carb clearance, anything else I need?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Finally got mine out and did some tuneing today.
I have 48 mm crank shop carbs with clippard valves for extra fuel on top. SLP pipes. Cat secondary.
Started with 420 mains 1/4 turn on the clipperds not sure what primary weight. 8000 rpm 800egt.
Went down size by size till I ran out of light. Ended down at 350 mains still 1/4 turn clippers and -1.8 primary weight. Still 8000 rpm but brought egt to 1000.

What brass are others running in their 48s?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
OK now I'm building a carb rack

What brass and needle are you guys expecting for 8000+ ft alt?
They'll be bored 42 mm rack
There dosnt seem to be a good way of removing the jet tube without destroying it ended up using a easy out and a tap driver.
The two racks I'm starting with are the same body but have some different parts 1.5 vs 2.0 slide. Needles are different. 45 vs 55 pilot. 0.7 vs 1.0 air jet. Both had 490 mains

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
The best way to be safe is if you follow a Polaris 800 carb specs, if you have an 01 needle, then follow the Polaris specs for altitude and then drop 3 main jet sizes and you should be safe. But all the rest of the jets should be close to that years specs.

Jim

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I'm not sure if I'm totally abandoning that rack or what at the moment. I have them all broke down and realized most people weld the rods to gather. I just don't like that idea so I bought a couple 5mm pieces of all thread and and a 8mm piece of round then realizing the difficulty of trying to get the holes drilled. I have a buddy with a mill drill and could probably figure that out
But until then I am still trying to fight my crank shop 48 mm oval slides. I bought a bunch of brass. I'll give them two more tries.
I upped the pilot two sizes now its sharp off the line but being its summer I can't tune beyond that.
Snows all ready falling though

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Ive ran racks, rounds, D slides, 48's and so on. Built my last set of rack 40's using jims shafts and if I was gunna build another 1200 tomorrow it would have a set of rack 40's! PERIOD!!!!

the crispness tune-ability ride-ability easy starting, no loading up, clean, easy throttle pull, easy to get jets/parts for, cheap to put together, for a motor your gunna put some miles on rack 40's end of story!

Last edited:

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Hog,
send me a pm with what you want to do and I can help you out. the swap meets are in full swing now for the season, so finding carbs should be easy.. I can assemble them for you too.

Jim

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Hi Jim, hey if your see a Polaris 1350 ub triple head at any swapmeets please let me know, I'm still looking.

Also should say, Hog just get Jim to build you a set of carbs. They just work.

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Help!
So sick of this 1200 problem after problem! The thing hasn't run correctly ever. And its dead again! I drove it into the garage now I have un reliable spark. A week ago it would fire the plugs about once every five pulls on the rope. Prime the motor and it would fire the motor but not run. Then yesterday out of curiosity I checked the plugs again where it fired on every pull. So I primed the motor pulled the rope a bunch and nothing. Checked the plugs again and had zero spark, they were soaked. Tried brand new plugs with still no spark
Guess I'm back to ordering more custom high dollar parts again, probably a cdi to send somewhere to get re mapped if they even still do it
I guess I don't need help I just needed to vent

Last edited:

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Might be a long shot but Check the stator and wiring. I had similar issues an it ended up being one of the ignition wires coming out of the stator. Right where the solid coper winding wire was spliced to the wire going to gang plug for CDI. It was hard to locate cuz everything looked good visually.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
That's going to have to be a back up plan. I got mad at my flywheel cause it fell off twice. This time I used loctite retaining compound, that's not coming off without destruction

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Had the spark on my xcr "jump around" from cylinder to cylinder. Ended up being rust on the coil mounting surfaces... Steel brush/scotch brite there and good spark!

Ruined a trip to the dyno, 7 hrs one way...

RS

70ss

Premium Member
Mar 14, 2009
Electrical Gremlins and more

Finally got around to getting a 1050 put together and into this 02 Edge. Won't shut off with key or switch or when I jump the brown and black together in the harness. It has an XCR ignition setup that I was told in good working order.

Looking for another CDI and flywheel or a contact to get one mapped and hubbed. I have a 700xcr (99) system that I could (prefer) to use as well for a backup/primary if what I have is junk.

Thanks

1050 EDGE.jpg Edge Triples.jpg

70ss

Premium Member
Mar 14, 2009
Electrical Gremlins and more

Finally got around to getting a 1050 put together and into this 02 Edge. Won't shut off with key or switch or when I jump the brown and black together in the harness. It has an XCR ignition setup that I was told in good working order. I spliced either the yellow wire from the harness into the Edge yellow regulator.

Looking for another CDI and flywheel or a contact to get one mapped and hubbed. I have a 700xcr (99) system that I could (prefer) to use as well for a backup/primary if what I have is junk.

Thanks

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Finally got around to getting a 1050 put together and into this 02 Edge. Won't shut off with key or switch or when I jump the brown and black together in the harness. It has an XCR ignition setup that I was told in good working order. I spliced either the yellow wire from the harness into the Edge yellow regulator.

Thanks

Check the single black/white wire with the bullet connector down by the mag housing. This is the ignition ground, and ties all of the kill switch circuits into the ignition system.

Last edited:

70ss

Premium Member
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks, my issue. Had black grounded with brown at regulator......oopsy.

Premium Features