• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DIY Rear tunnel modification

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Originally posted by 76FOMOCO, reposted with permission:

O.K. I have had a bunch of questions on how to chop your tunnel down and what parts to get. So I put it all together in a step by step format along with all the parts needed from each manufacturer with part number and approximate prices. This is not an easy project so if your low on mechanical ability call your buddies with the skills and have them come over and help. This is for a 162” you can order the shorter versions of the parts if needed. I do sell the tunnel cap only and don’t make money off them so this is for the love of the cat and I only take pay pal or a POSTAL M.O.

1. Remove rear bumper, tail flap, rear tail light and seat but leave rear cooler attached and hanging by the hoses.
2. find location for the gussets I used the 4th rivet from the tunnel joint.
3, install the 16” splice for the tunnel cap using the 5 holes holding the rear exchanger in place and tape the rear cap in place and prop the gusset in place, place the rear bumper in line with the rear cap and the gussets.

4, chalk a line below the rear bumper with a pencil and cover with blue true tape above the cut line

5 at the location the bumper is to meet the gusset 45* change drill a 3/8” hole to keep the tunnel from cracking and help make the direction change.
6 drill out the lower cooler line rivets holding the tunnel coolers and about 5 rivets into the rear suspension bracket.(run new tail light wire before you rivet it) Rivet the rear inner supports into place

7 cut rails, cooler support and tunnel to match the rear bumper and gussets, make sure the tunnel is flush with the bottom of the rear bumper. (I used a ¼ cut off air grinder)

8 drill holes for the rear bumper and rear cooler cover mount tail light and rear flap and bumper.

Cat parts

5606-594 Gusset, Tunnel Roll – Right 9.00
5606-595 Gusset, Tunnel Roll – Left 9.00
5606-490 Roll, Tunnel – Right 32.00
5606-491 Roll, Tunnel – Left 32.00

Ski doo parts

518325375 Rear Bumper, 163" 40.00
(Used because it is the right width, and cheap)

Along with 6 metric screws from the hardware store 1.00 or order them from doo for 12.00

Tail light
http://www.bluhmenterprises.com/prod...category_id=87 20.00-40.00
Home depot support
2”x36”x1/8” total of 2 needed 8.00
Rear tunnel cap with 17” flat splice
And you will need a bunch of rivets too.

Original post removed at request of 76FOMOCO

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
DSC00015.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00573.jpg

DSC00574.jpg

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Did Cat change the part numbers? I'm getting different numbers for the gussets? Which part is the roll?

I already have the ski doo bumper on and tunnel chopped need the rail parts to finish it up.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
The roll is the tube on the outside edge of the running board. The part numbers in the first post are for the '09+ edge roll, Rixster used his stock parts, and just cut them. Either method works.

As for the gusset part numbers, it looks like these are also good, but for black ones:

4706-797 Gusset, Tunnel Roll - Left
4706-796 Gusset, Tunnel Roll - Right

What numbers are you coming up with, and maybe I can tell you why.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
5606-594 Right
5606-595 Left

Both are cheaper @ $7.78. They are off a 09'.

I'm not seeing a reason why I couldn't just use the gussets with my stock rolls or are they a must?

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I thought you said you were getting different numbers for the gussets? Those are the same part numbers as posted in the first post.

I believe you have to do a little trimming of the gussets to get them to fit in the ends of the stock edge roll. The newer stuff is also a little wider, therefore probably a little more resistant to cracking. I've cracked a couple sets of the stock edge.

If you've not had problems before (and aren't too hefty) you probably won't have issues with the stock edge.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
5606-594 Right
5606-595 Left

Both are cheaper @ $7.78. They are off a 09'.

I'm not seeing a reason why I couldn't just use the gussets with my stock rolls or are they a must?

I used my stock edges or rolls. I wanted to use the newer ones but there isnt enough room if you have snow eliminators. You have to grind a LOT off of the gusset to get it to fit in your original edges. Then it is so small that it will brake within the first 2-3 rides. So, you have to weld them to the edges. I ground mine down so they would fit inside the edges nicely and the welded around the seam. Haven't had any issues with it.

bootz1981

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2008
zap, nd
i did just what rixster did about a month ago and its super easy and looks awsome, i second the idea about welding the gussets to your edges, i order all my parts off skidoopartsnation.com, the best prices i found. i know iknow it says skidoo but the do all brands, i think the bumper and gussets came to 55 and the tunnel cap i got from a 76fomoco for 30 or 35. turnd out great

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I thought you said you were getting different numbers for the gussets? Those are the same part numbers as posted in the first post.

I believe you have to do a little trimming of the gussets to get them to fit in the ends of the stock edge roll. The newer stuff is also a little wider, therefore probably a little more resistant to cracking. I've cracked a couple sets of the stock edge.

If you've not had problems before (and aren't too hefty) you probably won't have issues with the stock edge.

LOL, don't know what I was thinking, too much beer I guess. Oh well, this is a handy thread.

I have snow eliminators so I'll just weld em' like rix did.

B
Mar 23, 2008
Vancouver Washington
DIY BACKYARD MECHANIC TUNNEL HACK JOB

Just finished your DIY kit and the whole a$$ end of the sled fall off.Was wondering how long your warranty is?:boink:.Well it bent down after 10 hrs of hard labor when I sat on it.So technically it didn't fall off just looks like it ready to.It picked up fine guess more rivets and duct tape is needed ,.Will weld the coolers together in morning and rivet some flat bar on the inside and hopefully that'll fix it.And add a ton of rivets.
Now I know why mr vanamberg wants a big bag of money for his kits.:face-icon-small-dis
I see rixster is a mechanic look at the size of his hammer no wonder it turned out right for him.
Believe me IDcatman Is right if you don't know how to use a hammer you should call your buddies.Wish could of seen his finished product before I started mine.Maybe he'll be my buddy and come over and help with mine.
To the backyard we go maybe another 10 hrs and I'll have it down.I advise you all listen to Idcatman before you try this.Read his post many many times over and over and not while drinking beers.Sounded like a great idea at midnight but in the morning was a whole different story.
Finished all done!!!!!!!!!.Shout out to Rixster for the pics and Idcatcatman for reposting the info from 76fomoco.Wouldn't of done it without you guys and probably still shouldn't have.LOL Two days later and what a mess .Did it only for the love of Cats.Must confess was cheap and just used the scraps that were cut off the sled.Put a cut in the rails and just bent them to the tunnel and bolted to a piece of angle kinda like the bought ones.
Thanks again all.Put a aluminum flat bar on inside tunnel edge and used aircraft rivets to hold in place.Bumper is bent tunnel rack welded to cooler with another flat bar holding the mud flap.Mud for me had it in the back yard for test run.lol.Just primer- ed will put a hammered spray can job back on.Will post a cleaned up pic later but for now there it is.

Last edited:
B
Mar 23, 2008
Vancouver Washington
HACK JOB

:face-icon-small-dis Back yard hack job and was my first try.The dealer didn't have bumper in stock and sooooooo :rant: the basher cat was being born.Stock Cat bumpers are bolted to the cooler and the rivets never fell out of it then so should be ok now.
Idacatman already set me straight long time ago along with Rixster.Don't let the pics fool ya that ole arctic crap doesn't get stuck much. Never let up off the trottle and you'll be fine..:face-icon-small-win.
Still working on it boys I'll fab a bumper later just not into putting a ski dog part on my Cat.:face-icon-small-dis
Come on boys thought maybe you rode polaris but both of you are Cat guys and you have no faith in arctic crap.Geeez that hurts.

Last edited:
Premium Features