• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ditch The Mountain Strap

Do you prefer to ride without a mountain strap?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
F
Dec 30, 2019
Today I installed a set of Fly Racing Dan Adams bars on my Axys. I’m 5’-7” and felt like the original 7” bars were too tall. I also really like how the new bars are less swept back. It may not seem like much, but I really feel a lot more over the front of the machine.

Anyway the Axys mountain strap doesn’t fit these bars, at least not without mods. I really seriously considered ditching the strap altogether, but finally broke down and bought a Pro Ride strap and bolted it on there. Looks pretty goofy in my opinion...lol.

It’s my understanding that a lot of people these days don’t even bother running a strap. I’m just wondering what the concensus is here?

D03AD412-4A8B-4AFD-9852-054EA1C9D548.jpeg

3136E7F1-973E-4108-BC93-F4585FD9BD85.jpeg

9E43F908-1486-4764-AC13-3EC3D37B5472.jpeg

293D3006-F975-4316-A5F8-D45D2F969765.jpeg

A97B4128-0F2F-4769-863D-5627470D025F.jpeg

F3AEAD2B-3AE1-4C1B-9339-8ED18E7EB775.jpeg

5422B6F1-1332-41E8-A2FD-3EEF9395D643.jpeg

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Just wait til you have to ride 2 up on it because someone wrecked there sled. You will wish you had it on. It's a lot easier to ride side by side.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
for the most part if you need the mountain strap it for the only 2 reasons above. roll it over or have a child/passenger. other than that if you need the mt strap your out of posisiton and a baboon ass noob. keep your hips in and your feet in the stirrups. I have run many with out and only miss it on the upside down in the tree well!

S
Jan 21, 2016
for the most part if you need the mountain strap it for the only 2 reasons above. roll it over or have a child/passenger. other than that if you need the mt strap your out of posisiton and a baboon ass noob. keep your hips in and your feet in the stirrups. I have run many with out and only miss it on the upside down in the tree well!
I have been riding for 40 years in the mountains and having a mountain strap does not make a rider a baboon ass noob. As stated above, have ever had to come out with 2 people on one sled. one on each running board and one doing the throttle and other doing the brake. You can get through some pretty gnarly back country that way. It really beats trying walking ten miles to the nearest road or sitting behind some one when you can both stand and ride. And for the other reason, it works really good to roll the sled over. When the snow is so deep getting to a ski to roll the sled sucks. Grab what ever is closet and roll it with, mountain strap, running board, track , ski bumpers etc.. it also works as a good head rest when kick back in the sun on a nice spring ride.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Why do sledders double side by side?

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I was taught by Dan Adams that one shouldn't ever use the mountain bar for mountain riding. Getting out of a hole, or pulling sled on it's side, or a place for small/young hands is all great. Just don't touch when normal riding (the driver, that is).

Look like you have the bars marked so that you can cut them down ???

And what is the expected overall advantage to these bars. you reference different angles, and ..... that means less fatigue in the shoulders ? Less arm .... ?

Last edited:
F
Dec 30, 2019
I was taught by Dan Adams that one shouldn't ever use the mountain bar for mountain riding. Getting out of a hole, or pulling sled on it's side, or a place for small/young hands is all great. Just don't touch when normal riding (the driver, that is).

Look like you have the bars market so that you can cut them down ???

And what is the expected overall advantage to these bars. you reference different angles, and ..... that means less fatigue in the shoulders ? Less arm .... ?

You are blessed to have ridden with Dan ? I would love to attend one of his clinics sometime.

Yes, I had the bars marked and cut roughly an inch off each side. I don’t struggle much with arm pump when sledding. I ride MX in the summer months, so I guess it’s just something I’ve worked out. Not saying it never happens, it’s just that general fatigue usually gets me before arm pump.

I feel like with me being a shorter rider, the lower, more forward bars should give me a little better leverage when carving/sidehilling than the 7” high rise/swept back bars that came on the sled. I have yet to ride with them but they sure feel great just standing on the sled in the garage. Wife has the identical sled still with the tall Pro Taper bars, so I’ll be able to try both back to back once we have some snow or make it to the mountains.

Last edited:
F
Dec 30, 2019
You lose instagram follower points for having one but yes I use one. I use it all the time rolling the sled over or for doubling side by side or for when my 3 year old sits in front of me. Yours does look obnoxiously in the way though when you are trying to get up tight to or get your weight forward over the bars. I use this one: https://cheetahfactoryracing.com/products/mountain-strap

Ha ha it is obnoxiously large isn’t it. That is the perfect desciption ?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
A five degree up and five degree pullback is delicious for wrist and body comfort. It’s an old school design that Fabcraft makes.
The closest to Polaris bars is Cheetah Factory Racing Chris Brown bars which are 6 degree up and 11 degree pullback.
My name is Cliff Claven of the handlebar history ilk.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nut to butt in 2' of pow doesn't work worth a crap. A lot easier to steer when side by side. Both people can use there body weight for steering.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND

Look like you have the bars marked so that you can cut them down ???

I had the opportunity to ride with Dan about 6 years ago and was told the exact same thing. I learned a lot and had a great time with Dan and his guys!

Ever since then, I actually remove the mountain strap completely. That way the "crutch" is gone and you learn how to ride without it!! It's not there to grab even on those occasions where you get lazy and think......I'll just grab the strap here for a second. You can't....its gone !

Honestly I think it has made me a better rider, both hands on the bars where they belong, all the time. No more getting lazy, hanging off the side and holding onto the bar and the strap. Instead put the sled on edge and stay in control! I don't have little tikes for giving rides and honestly these sleds flip over pretty easy, so I haven't missed it for that either.

Just my .02 cents but really in the end, it's "your preference for your needs".

zblink

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Mi
I have dans bars on my 16 axys and have just ran the bar pad with no strap and have never missed not having the mountain strap

Need to roll just grab the cross bar

Premium Features