• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Digital gas gauge is crap!

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I did some searching and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so sorry if it IS already out there. Why does my gauge go from full to medium to empty and then back to full. I fill it up at the pump and when I unload it, it only shows half full. It seems like it bounces around all over the place. And yes I thought that maybe I'm not parked on level surface every time and yes I have thought it bounces around because I am but no. Sitting at rest on level surface it varies almost constantly. Crappy unreliable gauge or am I missing something? Careful answering that please ;)

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Its a float based level sensor, so it needs to sit flat for a minute to reset. Yours could need to be adjusted. You could do it yourself (buy the shop manual. all the answers are in there) or bring it in to the dealer if you're under warranty. In any event, they aren't all that accurate and give you a low warning light with a couple gallons left in the tank (at least mine does).

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Gotta be a bad sending unit. I've owned several Doo's and never had an issue with the gauge. With that being said, I don't really pay too much attention to it, I know my range with my riding style and plan my distances accordingly.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
I did some searching and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so sorry if it IS already out there. Why does my gauge go from full to medium to empty and then back to full. I fill it up at the pump and when I unload it, it only shows half full. It seems like it bounces around all over the place. And yes I thought that maybe I'm not parked on level surface every time and yes I have thought it bounces around because I am but no. Sitting at rest on level surface it varies almost constantly. Crappy unreliable gauge or am I missing something? Careful answering that please ;)
While mine doesn't seem to bounce all over it does take an oddly long amount of time to show full once filled.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
This has been a plaguing issue for Ski-Doo since they went to the digital gauge unfortunately.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Thanks for the replies. This is my first doo so sorry for the newb question. I ride with 2 others on experts (2020's) and theirs are just as crappy as mine. The first ride made me worry a bit when it was showing only 1 bar, but on that same ride back to the truck it then went up to 3 bars and took only a few gallons to fill so I haven't worried too much either, just curious more than anything.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
Mine isn't erratic but it consistently shows low. I can have no bars and the thing is beeping and flashing at me but I can only get 8 gallons in the tank when I get back. At least it is consistent so I know what to expect now.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
on the XP's, there was a fuse to the float that would corrode causing the gauge to read low. Keeping it clean & dielectric greased helped. It might be something similar on the G4.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Digital gas gauge on a snowmobile is the dumbest idea ever in the world. The old school design on the polaris gas cap/gauge is all that is ever needed on a snowmobile and is wonderful. Anything different than that is just completely insane in my opinion.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
For what it is worth....the shape of the G4 fuel tank does not lend itself to an old school gauge. I am on my forth G4 and have never thought much about the fuel gauge, it works good enough, it just takes a little patience to get a good reading and you need to be on level ground.

Premium Features