• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Digital Camera Info?

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
Am looking to buy a new digital camera to take out riding, but am not sure of what to look for. Any help, info or recommendations is appreciated.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Get a cheap one like for under $150. Get the insurance on it so when it breaks not if it breaks you can get it replaced.

Battery life and type of memory card are important.

I bought a Fuji wide angle for $125. No complaints after 4 months.

C
If your not very good at anticipating shots, you better get a SLR. With the ordinary digital camera there is always that time of delay factor to consider. A digital SLR may not be as compact, but it definitely takes better action shots.:camera::face-icon-small-ton

T
I use the Pentax Optio WPI waterproof, It takes great pics, Action or still.

IMGP4150.jpg
IMGP4136.jpg

P
Jan 6, 2008
Squamish
I use a Kodak easyshare. 5 megapixels and lots of features. Its a bit big, won't fit in my pocket but I just strap it to my riser bar so it makes it easy to get to and then I take more photos. Also the battery is important. Its rechargable and will take probably 400 photos in a day even in the cold.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I am on my second Canon digital elf. the first one lasted 7 years. I was totally happy, so I bought an elf 750.
It is super small, takes great pics, as far as a point and shooter.
So far I am super happy with it. Paid 230 CAD Edit: These pics are a photobucket, so the quality is not all there. The originals are way more defined.
IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg
IMG_1679.jpg

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
I'll second the PENTAX Optio WP. Small, lots of features, decent pictures, movie and speed frame modes and the peace of mind that its waterproof. Only drawback is that it doesn't have a viewfinder, only the screen so it takes a while to get used to using it and framing the shot.

B
Nov 21, 2007
Jackson WY
Third for Pentax Optio. Small takes great pics, the modes are easy to change, waterproof, shockproof. I keep it in an inside coat pocket or in the heated riser bag to keep the battery good. You can even take in underwater if you water skip goes bad!

We use a cannon 30D its an slr. A little spendy and bulky, but its awsome for action shots. I can't stand taking action photos with a camera that has the digital delays. Thers no more "one more time I didn't get it". Im sure everyone knows what Im talkin about.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon, SK.
What about Panisonic Lumix? there 10x optical and 8 or 9M pixels. Anybody tried one?

Kids have the Lumix LZ5 model - not too bad (has I.S.) Biggest issue is that it doesn't have an optical viewfinder ....good zoom though
Wifey has Canon 720 - pretty bulky but has optical viewfinder so it's good for action shots. Zoom isn't too great though (has I.S.)
Funny thing is - I have an old S230 Digital Elf - metal body (6 or 7 yrs. old). The pics. straight from the camera from it are better than either of the above cameras....too bad the zoom is only 3X. Macros from this one are excellent (I take lots).

IMO, a great camera for the $$ is a Canon S3 or S5.

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
lumix

What about Panisonic Lumix? there 10x optical and 8 or 9M pixels. Anybody tried one?

The panasonic lumix is an excellent camera for the dollar... lots of zoom, good lense quality and IS. If you get one of the higher end ones they are very slr like. I used an fz-20 I believe for a couple of years before taking the DSLR plunge.

V

Veedy

Jan 27, 2004
Revelstoke, BC
www.farwestfilms.com
Here's another vote for the Pentax waterproof series. The newest is the W30. It's a tough little camera and I have seen some amazing shots come from it. It also has a built in intervelometer for time lapse shots. Not too many cameras have that. I sell all brands except Sony and Samsung. ( I dont count the other cheapo brands as cameras, lol ) When I'm not carrying my SLR, I take a Canon G9. It's a beauty of a camera, although not shockproof or waterproof, very robust. And the shots from it are crisp, and you can shoot RAW files. The G7 is a close second. Fuji has the F50fd which won awards over most P&S cameras. Nikon has the P5100 and is a nice little rig for the dough. If your serious about capturing action and getting the absolute best, dont look any farther than an SLR. The D200/ D300 is my fav, but the 40D, and K20D are awesome as well. If you need something lighter and smaller, there is the D40x (now the D60 ) EOS rebel Xti ( 400D ) or the K100D ( now the K200D ).

If it's packability then go with the P&S. I sell tons of the Olympus and Pentax W/P cameras, I prefer the Pentax.
If it's image quality and action, then go with the SLR, but you will sacrifice some space and weight.

Good luck !!

Anyone in Canada looking for good deals on Cameras and equipment can PM me for prices / shipping. :D

K
Nov 26, 2007
KITIMAT BC
Have serious look at the canon S3is or newer version.They have a great zoom,stereo sound when recording video,have a snow expouse setting built in and they run on AAbatteries and the image stabilization helps alot with the blury photo problems.Have always been happy with the photo quality.
IMG_1421-1.jpg

A
Mar 11, 2007
Onoway Alberta
Sony DSC-T100 SuperSteadyShot. A little pricey at 600 Canadian, but it's smaller than a deck of cards. It has a 3 inch screen and with a 4 Gb stick I can take 1200 stills or 1 1/2 hour video on the best picture setting. The cold doesn't bother it. I'll try to
Dec2007Sledding004.jpg
post a pic.

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
I think you can still get some of the Sony's for under $200. You only need 5 megapixels and above so you can save some.

Make sure you get a real view finder as well as the the screen. Can't see the screen well enough in snow glare sun.

They also shoot 25fps movies. Just make sure it also does sound. Don't get a camera that stores movies in the .mov format unless you have a Mac.

The other formats like .avi or .wmv etc can be edited on your Windows machine with the free movie editor.

Be sure you get a good OPTICAL zoom in it at least 10x or better. The digital zoom part is pretty poor. (so if your camera says 200x digital zoom see how much optical you get)

Have fun.

Premium Features