• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

dies like it’s out of fuel...at full tank

F
Jan 19, 2020
Yesterday I was riding my 2011 m8 sno pro and it died as if it were out of gas. It still had about half a tank of gas so I was a bit unsure of what the problem was. I had a gallon of gas with me so I put it in the tank and it ran good for 3-4 miles but died again. It would start and maybe run for fifty yards but would start to idle high and then proceed to die. Went back today with five gallons of gas and was able to get it out. Still cut out and died a few times though. Initially I thought it was a a problem with the fuel pickup line but I no longer believe that to be the problem because the tank it completely full of gas. Maybe a wiring issue or a sensor? Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Sounds like the pump is cutting out. Check your wires to the pump.

F
Jan 19, 2020
Okay I found the pump but it’s inside the tank. I can’t figure out how to remove it or check the wires to it

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Yes, I have personally seen a few times when that pump failed. Similar deal...they fail slowly and don't provide enough pressure. You can check the wiring, but if it is working at all, unlikely it is wiring...more likely the pump is going bad. Also, make sure your tank breather is not clogged...that'll do it too after running for a bit.

G

Gibsons

Nov 26, 2007
saskatoon
Check where the two wires go into the tank, through the brass fitting. I just fixed a couple wires on an 08 M8 last week, which had worn through against the brass fitting.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I replaced the fuel pump and took it out last weekend and the sled ran great.
Good deal. Yeah, those M series fuel pumps fail in weird ways...can really mess with you.

F
Jan 19, 2020
Update: several problem free rides after replacing the fuel pump the sled started having what seems to be the same issue. It died three times and two of those times it started up after a minute but the last time it would not start again until I got it home. I really have no idea now what is wrong. It seems to me that it’s some kind of fuel system issue because it will usually start to rev higher and kind of skip and cut out and then die. Could it be an electrical short or something like that? Any ideas are a big help. Thanks

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Check for pump grounding or wire connection issues...makes sure electrical connections are good with harness, etc. Also, might check your voltage regulator and make sure you aren't sending too much voltage to the pump and damaging it. Also, do you have headlights? Some in that era would produce too much power without headlights, causing other issues.

sidehillm8

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2018
Just had the exact same issue with my M8 a few weeks ago. Ground wire was worn through the insulation at the brass fitting. Recoated the wire with liquid tape and added wire loom to prevent it from happening again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

F
Jan 19, 2020
Just had the exact same issue with my M8 a few weeks ago. Ground wire was worn through the insulation at the brass fitting. Recoated the wire with liquid tape and added wire loom to prevent it from happening again.

Is that the two wires that run from the fuel pump out of the tank?

sidehillm8

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2018
Is that the two wires that run from the fuel pump out of the tank?

Yes, black and red wires through the brass fitting in the tank next to the coolant bottle.

F
Jan 19, 2020
db98e186b52d75af030b7dbb6226a090.jpg
Does anyone know what this is?

F
Jan 19, 2020
Okay. I noticed that where the wire is connected to the nut looking metal piece, it was bent had a crack and might not have a good connection. Could that somehow cause the problem that I am having?

Premium Features