• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond drive removal

M
Jan 14, 2017
I am trying to remove the diamond drive from the drive shaft on my 2007 M8 black with a 162: track. I have everything loose but the gear drive will not separate from the drive shaft. Is there a clip or something that hold the two together? I don't see anything in the parts diagram that shows one. Also is it possible to pull the drive shaft out the gear box side of the sled?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Have you removed the bolt which holds the shaft to the diamond drive? Is deep inside the drive shaft (like 12 inches plus), accessible from the exhaust side. If you have removed that bolt and is still stubborn, spray some wd40 inside and outside the shaft...let it sit and give some soft hits from the exhaust side, inside the shaft, to get apart.

M
Jan 14, 2017
Have you removed the bolt which holds the shaft to the diamond drive? Is deep inside the drive shaft (like 12 inches plus), accessible from the exhaust side. If you have removed that bolt and is still stubborn, spray some wd40 inside and outside the shaft...let it sit and give some soft hits from the exhaust side, inside the shaft, to get apart.
I did not. Do you know if it is right or left hand threads? I tried to take it out with my impact wrench it won't move yet.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Right hand. And once you have the gearbox out the driveshaft will slide that way out of the brake caliper, then drop it out the bottom of the sled.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
If you have the time, spray some penetrating oil down into the shaft and let it sit for a day or so...those bolts can corrode a bit.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I prefer to use a breaker bar because when chit doesn't go right with an impact stuff gets messed up real fast. Lefty loosey on this bolt. I believe it is 16mm but make sure your socket fits snug.

I thought I read somewhere if it is difficult to separate the gearbox from the shaft after all bolts are removed, you can try threading the driveshaft bolt back in like halfway and give your extension a few taps with a hammer to help it break the gearbox free from the shaft.

Premium Features