• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond Drive Gasket

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
I removed and split the Diamond Drive on my daughters new to her 07 M6. Now I can’t seem to find a new gasket for it. Neither AC or BDX list a part number for it. Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
The case doesn't a paper gasket. Red rvt silicone is all you need!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks! I thought maybe that was the case but there was a paper gasket on it when I pulled it apart. So that was confusing. So just a thin layer of red rtv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F
Jan 3, 2008
I removed the paper gasket on a diamond drive and just used RTV silicone. Ended up having clearance issues and ruining the bearing in less than 100 miles. That gasket provided just enough spacing that the bearing didn't get a side load on it. My brother in law removed the spacer and put a double row bearing in. He had a similar problem with not enough clearance because the double row bearing was a little wider than the single row and spacer combined. His did last a lot longer than mine though but in the end also wiped out the bearing. Been a while but it seems like you can put your case together dry with different shims (cereal box cardboard) between the case halves and feel the clearance by moving the shaft. Then remove the shims and see if you can still feel movement. If you can't feel movement then you need the gasket or you need to machine the shoulder of the shaft so the bearing can slide on further so it doesn't have a side load on it. This is in regards to a 2009 - 2010 M8 but probably applies to several other models.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I removed the paper gasket on a diamond drive and just used RTV silicone. Ended up having clearance issues and ruining the bearing in less than 100 miles. That gasket provided just enough spacing that the bearing didn't get a side load on it. My brother in law removed the spacer and put a double row bearing in. He had a similar problem with not enough clearance because the double row bearing was a little wider than the single row and spacer combined. His did last a lot longer than mine though but in the end also wiped out the bearing. Been a while but it seems like you can put your case together dry with different shims (cereal box cardboard) between the case halves and feel the clearance by moving the shaft. Then remove the shims and see if you can still feel movement. If you can't feel movement then you need the gasket or you need to machine the shoulder of the shaft so the bearing can slide on further so it doesn't have a side load on it. This is in regards to a 2009 - 2010 M8 but probably applies to several other models.
Part of that issue when upgrading to the double row bearing is the tunnel/bulkhead width variation. Some sleds are fine swapping the bearing in and some aren't. 2009 M1000 was a direct swap with no clearance issues. 2011 M8 had to machine the gear shoulder back so the bearing would slide on slightly farther. Can also cut the excess off the track shaft.

As far as the DD gaskets go some years have them and some don't. If it has one I put one back on to maintain clearances. If it has RTV sealing it that's what I use when it goes back together.

Premium Features