• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond drive & drive shaft removal

E

ESCAPE TIME

Dec 8, 2003
Lethbridge, AB
Can anyone confirm that when the DD is removed and the jam nut is remove at the caliper/rotor,the drive shaft should pull out into the tunnel.Now do I have to us a puller to pull caliper off of drive shaft or should it slide off?

F
Jan 23, 2008
Kootenays
First you have to undo the 5 nuts on the inside of the tunnel holding the brake and rotor assembly, then there is a bolt on the inside of the hollow axle u need about 2 feet of extension and a 5/8 socket. then u can sneak the track out around the drivers. I will see if i can find some pics for you

M

M-niner

Nov 27, 2007
Black Hills, SD
Supposedly you can get it out without taking the brake assembly off but I took it off. Just an FYI. My shaft needed some motivation from a BFH (Big F&*%ing Hammer) to come out. As hard as I had to hit it to break it loose I also thought I was forgetting something.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
There was an article in Snowest the magazine about this not too long ago. It looks like a track swap should be a pretty quick process.

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
Just got done putting mine back in so here you go-

Ya don't need to pull the brake caliper off!!!

All you have to pull on the brake side is the bracket that holds the speedo sensor/ then get a hammer and a 3/8 extension bar,set the brake and tap the nut off the rotor end.This supports the shaft on the bearings

Undo the bolt in the hollow drive shaft ( loosen for now) and removed the nuts around the DD.. If yours has reverse there are two nuts hiding in the foot well area, and hard to see. Once all undone- and the rubber dampner removed from infront the DD- go and remove the thru bolt that was only loosened. (Take the wiring apart on the reverse motor connections)
Remove the DD case

It might take some prying to pull the axle out as rust forms around the bearing races on the brake side. Ensure that the track extroverts are free from the track. Once removed I had to buff my drive shaft to remove the surface rust and the races on the bearing..went back with never seize-and all slopped back together.
Don't forget to peen the nut on the rotor so it doesn't back off- I also applied blue loctite for a just in case:)

Last edited:
E

ESCAPE TIME

Dec 8, 2003
Lethbridge, AB
Thanks guys, I did get it,I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.I did spray it with some lub and then it came loss,the drive shaft and the triple bearings were just seized slightly.I just used a small puller and a couple of small wacks and it came free nicely.

J
Dec 20, 2020
First you have to undo the 5 nuts on the inside of the tunnel holding the brake and rotor assembly, then there is a bolt on the inside of the hollow axle u need about 2 feet of extension and a 5/8 socket. then u can sneak the track out around the drivers. I will see if i can find some pics for you
Is that bolt inside the hollow axle supposed to have a little rubber spacer/ring halfway down the shaft of the bolt? I have an '07 M8. If so, do you have any idea where it's supposed to sit on the bolt exactly? I moved mine to the head of the bolt before I knew anything about it... Thanks for any help.

Premium Features