• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dexter torsion VS Lippert Torsion axles

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
I have heard great things about Dexter torsion axles. I am trailer shopping and some brands come with Lippert Torsions. I don't know anything about them. I've tried google searching lippert vs dexter. There isn't a ton of info comparing the two. Has anyone had Lipperts and can chime in on their experience?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Dexter has a better rep, generally more pricey for comparative axle/brake systems on RVs. I can share that a business contact who buys parts was recently told by Lippert that they are essentially soldout right now - RV builds on record pace due to Covid. Good for the RV industry, campgrounds, not so good for campers - going to get more crowded if you're not a boondocker. Volume spikes never do anything good for build quality, either, FWIW. Regardless, if I was buying long-term or high use, Dexter would be first choice.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Dexter has a better rep, generally more pricey for comparative axle/brake systems on RVs. I can share that a business contact who buys parts was recently told by Lippert that they are essentially soldout right now - RV builds on record pace due to Covid. Good for the RV industry, campgrounds, not so good for campers - going to get more crowded if you're not a boondocker. Volume spikes never do anything good for build quality, either, FWIW. Regardless, if I was buying long-term or high use, Dexter would be first choice.

Good points. I was looking at stealth trailers and they use Lipperts. From what I have heard Dexters were better. I have not asked them if they would use dexters instead. Yeah, it will be a long term, high mileage trailer. MN to out west to ride. Thanks for the feedback.

Joks79

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2008
MN. 10 minutes from Canada!
I have a trailer with Lippert axles on it. It’s a 2015 and I am getting odd tire wear. I purchased the trailer used and have put about 5,000 miles on it. I am going to be taking it into a shop to have the axles aligned and tires replaced in July. After I have it checked and/or aligned it will set my opinion of the brand.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
I have a trailer with Lippert axles on it. It’s a 2015 and I am getting odd tire wear. I purchased the trailer used and have put about 5,000 miles on it. I am going to be taking it into a shop to have the axles aligned and tires replaced in July. After I have it checked and/or aligned it will set my opinion of the brand.

Yes, please let us know. Thank you

J
Jul 28, 2020
This thread is of interest to me as I am considering purchasing a Winnebago Drop travel trailer that has the Lippert 3500 lb torsion axle. It has enough ground clearance in the 'lift' position but the dry weight is 2680 lbs and the GWVR is 3800 (yes, it exceeds the axle rating and includes 300 lbs for the tongue riding on the tow vehicle).
Thanks!

Premium Features