• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DET sensor CDI compatibility

R
Feb 10, 2010
Hello, seeking info from those who know! I'm putting a reverse edge 166" 800 mountain sled together, from what I gather the 2003 Vert Escape CDI has a better timing curve than a 2004 or 2005 edge or RMK. I have both CDI's and both style heads and DETs, The small harness on the the Reverse CDI's have different connections for the Mitsubishi and Bosch DET, Seems that I should be able to cut and splice the 2003 Escape CDI short harness and install the correct plug to convert to the newer Bosch DET sensor. Is this correct? Or can I just use the 2004/2005 short harness with the 2003 Veriticle escape CDI? I plan to use my SLP cheater head which is tapped for the Bosch and has the small water outlet, I figured I could drill and tap the water outlet to the 3/4" NPT. Read over all the TEAM team helix advice still in the dark there any suggestions, New motor, welded crank, Port matched, SLP Single. motor plate, push and pull arms going in. along with a new balanced clutch. likely with 10/60 blue /pink spring. Thanks for your help! Ramjam

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
I can't imagine that they made a timing curve worse in succeeding years. There are vertical escapes x 159 in the 2004 and possibly in the 2005 vintage. I would just stick with the DET that the CDI is matched to. I doubt that the Vertical Escape CDI is any different than the RMK. You can check part numbers to verify that. DET sensors don't improve performance. They can only change the engine timing so you can't go anywhere. A 166 track does not fit in the standard 151/159 RMK tunnel without grabbing the rear flap and tunnel lip.

R
Feb 10, 2010
That's probably the best bet, I took the bumper off and drilled out the rivets on the back of the tunnel extension and bent it rearward as far as I could and re-riveted it. Works fine with the 166 and IQ flap!

20210223_102152.jpeg

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Looks nice, and I bet it'll be a hoot to ride! I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the 02s actually had the hottest timing, but not sure of the details. There are one or two bespoke parts in the '03 Vertical Escape only (I think the jackshaft, for one), and it's generally regarded as the one to have. Given how few and far between parts can be, I wouldn't bother digging for one specific setup unless you can confirm there's a difference. I'd also stick with the Mitsubishi DET sensor if you get the '03 CDI unless you can make sure the Bosch will work the same. If you can dig up the FSM and it gives the same resistance for the two, then that would be a favorable indication...

R
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks! Building a similar one on a Vertical Escape chassis. Be interesting to see which one works better! If nothing else it should be a bit lighter!

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The 02 cylinders did not have a tiny decompression hole in the factory cylinders so they had slightly more horsepower but they are a pretty hard tug to pull start. But the 02's did not have perc reverse, although it could be installed. And they weighed a few pounds more than the 04 vertical escape. A single SLP pipe erased the horsepower loss. An arctic cat 3 blades across track increased the track bite by at least 50%.

Premium Features