• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deleted my headlight today

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
Trying to get all the cool air i can to keep the turbo cool. No need for a headlight really anyway. Pretty easy basically free mod. Just thought id share for anyone thinking about doing it.

Attachments

• 20200301_120228.jpg
    20200301_120228.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 184
  • 20200301_120237.jpg
    20200301_120237.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 185

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
the challenge.. I know of a couple of cases where people got into situations and ended up spending the night and wished they had a headlight... sharing this so you carry some other way to create light in case of an emergency..

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
To plumnuts' point above - when I deleted by headlight - I started to carry a Tusk headlight for those rides that return later than expected (read: in the dark). Head lamp hooks to a GoPro mount on the underside of the visor of my helmet. Cord running to a battery pack in the top of my Float pack. When not in use, both head lamp and battery pack are in my tunnel bag.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'd agree that not everybody needs a headlight: if you know your riding area and habits well enough, you're not likely to get stuck out in the dark (and you should always be prepared to spend a night). For my purposes, I wouldn't go without one. What I'd like to do is switch to a LED headlight, but I'm not sure what to use. Most add-on LED lights aren't designed for minimum weight, so one could easily do a lot of work for not much weight benefit, and most aren't designed for 12VAC. The ideal setup would only add a couple pounds over no headlight, but I've been digging and haven't found any such thing. The trouble with carrying a battery-powered headlamp is you're taking weight off just to add it back on, probably close to what a lightweight LED weighs.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
This is a topic that frustrates me like crazy. I swear the aftermarket should be full of kits that are "headlight delete" but that still keep a small LED as part of the package, but still save a bunch of weight and still let a bunch more venting in.

I remember one of these existing like maybe 5-8 years ago for the M chassis from Cat, but I don't recall what the details were. It seems to me that a product like this, well done, would sell like crazy as it would be a terrific mod with basically no downside.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Mountain Fit has one for the Pro-ride but not with lights for the Axys...

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Mountain Fit has one for the Pro-ride but not with lights for the Axys...

Yes!!!!! That!!! Make it for the AXYS and I would totally buy it!!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The axys headlight is so easy to uninstall for late season riding when the days are so long and the snow is hard I just pop mine out. Helps drop a little weight and lets SOO much more air move through the sled and keep things less boiling hot when its 50*+ on the hill.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
The axys headlight is so easy to uninstall for late season riding when the days are so long and the snow is hard I just pop mine out. Helps drop a little weight and lets SOO much more air move through the sled and keep things less boiling hot when its 50*+ on the hill.
I hadn't thought about that...

Premium Features