• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Decision time - Need useful opinions....

L
Dec 8, 2013
West & East
Ok so its that time and im looking at buying a new sled.

I currently have a Yamaha Nytro 153 that I love, however im looking to upgrade to new and shave some weight at the same time. I love the 4 stroke and no fumes, but throwing that thing around the trees all day can get very tiresome, very fast.

My riding style and area.

The reality is with my wife and son I am spending more and more time on the groomed trails in Cle Elum / Salmon La Sac and less up at Gallagher and Baker. With this said I would say that i probably spend about 55% of my time on Groomed trails in Taneum, 45% boondocking through Taneum or Teanaway and maybe 10% of my time doing hill climbs, etc up by Cooper lake or salmon la sac.

This area is dominated by Polaris, primarily because the only dealer in the Cle Elum area happens to be Polaris, however I am a huge BRP fan and I really like the looks of the Ski-Doos VS the Polaris'

That brings me here. Ive been to several dealers for both brands and nobody in this state sells the Renegade line so as the title says, i need valuable opinions especially by people who have used several of the sleds im looking at and can give me great feedback based on my riding area and style.

Since I spend so much time on the trail i have really been leaning towards the Renegade Backcountry X (Spring check) in a 146, but i cant decide between that or a Summit 146 or Summit X 154.

Like I said, ive done a ton of research as you can see in the attached file and for me it really comes down to a couple of differences i see between the BCX and the Summit.

Rev-XM vs Rev-Gen IV (still seems to be a lot of issues that have yet to be worked out with the Gen IV chain-case and belt issue, vs Proven performance of the XM which all the summits have been running on prior)

The BCX (backcountry X) weighs 11lbs more than the Summit 146 and 27lbs more than the Summit 154.

All have the tMotion Rear.

The BCX has HPG + R shocks upfront vs Summit HPG +, center shocks are the same, and BCX has KYP Pro 36 EA vs Summit HPG +.

BCX has a wider stance of 38.4" vs SUmmit at 35.2"

BCX has the TRA VII clutch with a 23/51 gearing vs Summit pDrive clutch (Weighs 3.6lbs less) and 19/45 gearing.

What i really need to know is why does nobody sell or use the BCX in Washington? I see so many Summit's on the trail and i have talked to a ton of guys this season and everyone has complained that they suck on the groomed trails around here, especially with the new Chassis.

Is there a huge difference between the HPG + R and non R? What about the KYB 36 EA?

I get the most difference is probably weight and width, but im not sure im going to notice 25lbs and 3".

The reality is im old, out of shape, too many surgeries to list from a life lived hard and while i still dream of dropping into some of these crazy chutes, its just really not my passion anymore. I actually really enjoy waiting on the wife, watching my son get better with every ride, but i absolutely love boondocking and dont want to be miserable riding the trails, but need something that can get backcountry when i think im younger than i am.

Sorry its long, but im a details kind of guy. I don't want this to be a whole, you need a 174 thread. I have a 2000 RMK 137 that i cut my teeth on and have taken that thing places i never thought it would go and definitely shouldn't have been there with it in the first place, but i firmly believe its more rider ability than sled length and am looking for a sled that will get me to 55 at least...LOL

Sled Comp.JPG

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Does run cooler than Poos, which is one of the main reason I bought a Doo this year. For your application, I'd either get a 154 XM or 154 G4 w/ the 2.5" track. If you ride both, you'll get the G4. So, if you want to save a bunch of cash, do not try a G4!

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I think for your style of riding, a Switchback or a Renegade would both be winners. Go with the dealer that will take care of you. It's not all about price, it's all about service after the sale. In fact, for that matter, a Cat would be a good option as well. Again, for your style of riding, your family would be pretty satisfied with any of the cross overs. Don't over look the 600's. Less money, more playful and easier on gas. Just some food for thought. Good luck with your decision.

L
Dec 8, 2013
West & East
Thanks for the responses guys and I completely agree with the dealer aspect and im not against Polaris, but I also have a Can-Am SxS and a Sea-Doo Wake and both of those have been Phenomenal machines.

On the 600, that is an option. I think the biggest reason I want to stay at the 800 is my son rides a 2011 Yamaha Phazer with a 500 4 stroke. That thing is an absolute blast due to its narrow stance and Motocross style setup, but there are alot of times where ive wished that thing had more power. Its always more expensive to add power after the fact.

Really wondering if there is someone out there who actually has BCX and is using it out and about in the Pacific NW.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Thanks for the responses guys and I completely agree with the dealer aspect and im not against Polaris, but I also have a Can-Am SxS and a Sea-Doo Wake and both of those have been Phenomenal machines.

On the 600, that is an option. I think the biggest reason I want to stay at the 800 is my son rides a 2011 Yamaha Phazer with a 500 4 stroke. That thing is an absolute blast due to its narrow stance and Motocross style setup, but there are alot of times where ive wished that thing had more power. Its always more expensive to add power after the fact.

Really wondering if there is someone out there who actually has BCX and is using it out and about in the Pacific NW.

The BCX seems to be the sled for you in my opinion. Or even a Freeride 146, they are pretty similar. BCX will be more trail friendly. If you really want options wait til 2018 and see what else they put in the G4 chassis

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
If you ride any powder you want a mountain sled period -- i have had countless friends in the same boat and anyone that has done any type of crossover sled and goes out playing in powder is super disappointed no matter how good the cross over sled is. The 154 by 2.5 track on a mountain sled seems to be the sweet spot for most people in your position. The G4 in the skis in the wide position is surprisingly stable and a lot easier to take on the trail than a shorter track cross over with a wide frond end in the powder amongst a bunch of mountain sleds. The main problem is the mountain sleds are so good and easy to ride these days that its no fun trying to hang with them on anything else.

Premium Features