• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deciding on a sled

P
Jun 29, 2019
Hi everyone, new to the forum. I’m looking for some tips and advice on which sled to buy. First off, I usually do some trail riding but I’m always off in the powder, and we do a lot of pipe line riding. I’m looking at getting a pro ride chassis and I’ve found two sleds in my price range and that I like. First one is a 2011 rmk pro 800, 1900 miles. He says it runs and rides great, never had any issues with it, but he’s only put 400 miles on it. No damage to the sled other than a few lugs ripped on the track. Comes with a Polaris tunnel bag, 2 new belts, jaws can, and stock can. He also has a clean title for it. He says him and the previous owner have always ran VES gold. Looks like a clean sled from pictures and he sent me a video of it running and it sounds good. Second is 2014 rmk STD. 3500 miles, all stock except pro taper bars. Doesn’t have a windshield, and also has a few lugs on the track ripped. He also says it runs and rides great. But has neglected to send me more than 2 pictures. And doesn’t have a title. Both sleds are the same price at $3400..my question is as far as suspension what sled would be best for powder riding, jumps bumps and humps? I’ve also heard the 2011 having engine issues, but I’ve also heard guys saying they’ve had no issues and them running great? What sled is a “Better” sled?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
The 2014 has a better motor, thicker cylinder skirts, better injectors, better crank, updated pistons, and better electrical system. The 14 has a little better front suspension than the 11. Me personally would stay away from an 11 no matter how low the miles are.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I suggest you do some more research. I wouldn't touch either of those with a 20 foot pole, much less give up $3400 for one. The 11's DO have motor issues. If you have an extra $3400 you could fit an Indy Specialties motor to it and you would have a good reliable machine. 3500 miles on an untouched 800 Pro motor? That one WILL need a motor soon as well. I wouldn't even look at either of those...

I did see a 900 mile '16 163 Axys on my local CL this morning, asking $5200. If you insist on Polaris, this is where I would be looking. If that is too rich, stay with the lower mile '13+ Pro. I had a '13 and a '14 Pro RMK 800, awesome machines when new, they just do not hold up well to hard mtn riding in my experience.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I suggest you do some more research. I wouldn't touch either of those with a 20 foot pole, much less give up $3400 for one. The 11's DO have motor issues. If you have an extra $3400 you could fit an Indy Specialties motor to it and you would have a good reliable machine. 3500 miles on an untouched 800 Pro motor? That one WILL need a motor soon as well. I wouldn't even look at either of those

^^^^^^^

P
Jun 29, 2019
Would it be worth getting the 11’ and getting the “fix kit” for it? The 14’ is not a PRO, that’s just difference in suspension and the handle bar controls correct?

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
The standard RMK also had an additional cooler. Not sure of all the specifics but same 800 motor. The 13+ motors had big improvements, I would throw a fix kit in one of those before going with an 11-12. LOTS of sleds out there, keep looking!

P
Jun 29, 2019
Just came across a 13’ pro 800. Timbersled upper and lower a-arms, Slp can, comes with a cover, tunnel bag, and a box of extra parts and original a-arms. Has 2k miles, he put a top end “fix kit” in it. He’s the original owner and has always ran VES oil. No damage to the sled, and he says he is very particular about maintenance and always took care of it. Price is $3800 would this be a good route to take?

A
Jun 27, 2019
Alaska
you said pipeline so I'm assuming alaska
i have a 14 pro 155 but its not worth it to me to sell. its getting a turbo this year but when i got it, it had a skinz can and a2d clutch work and it ran great, I never felt under gunned when climbing hills. I did have to do a top end rebuild at 1625 miles but i do run it pretty hard but its at 2400 now and going strong. here's a sled that looks like a good deal for sale in alaska

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Just came across a 13’ pro 800. Timbersled upper and lower a-arms, Slp can, comes with a cover, tunnel bag, and a box of extra parts and original a-arms. Has 2k miles, he put a top end “fix kit” in it. He’s the original owner and has always ran VES oil. No damage to the sled, and he says he is very particular about maintenance and always took care of it. Price is $3800 would this be a good route to take?

That sounds like a pretty decent deal in my book. If the machine looks clean and well cared for rather than something that was beat on hard, I wouldn't hesitate to consider it.

A
Feb 11, 2017
Seward, Alaska
I just bought a 2013 PRO 163" last spring, got it for only $2800. Had slightly low compression though, but I fixed that?. But a'13 pro 800 for $3800 is a pretty good deal, just look over the thing well and do a compression test.

Premium Features