• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dear Santa, All I want in a 2021 Polaris RMK is....

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Any idea what the little aluminum box is?
That sled has a Boondocker Agility kit... so something to do with that I assume?

Edit- Someone asked on the Instagram post "coolant tank for the intercooler" … Im thinking not? ?

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Boondocker instructions say removing the factory vents is optional. But, I think most people do remove them for added airflow.

If they add vents, something like the SLP High Flows would be cool - these work well in turbo applications and are more protected.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Boondocker instructions say removing the factory vents is optional. But, I think most people do remove them for added airflow.

If they add vents, something like the SLP High Flows would be cool - these work well in turbo applications and are more protected.

I have the stock intake and fire and ice full intake. (Basically slp intakes plus 2 more) and they still plug up under boost.

It’s just a math problem.

Not enough surface area and the oem pre filter material gets ice buildup.

This prompted me to add the BD intake over the top.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
I can't possibly imagine Polaris is ready to put that out this year. They seem to have their fair share of problems with an NA 850. Can you even imagine the warranty backorders if they slapped a turbo on there?

I would say a better bet for them is to keep with the motto. Make it light, make it simple, make it work. So the next chassis somehow trims 2" off the width and loses another 20-25 pounds. That seems like a lot more realistic of a goal for Polaris as well as giving them a differentiator. They would have the light sled while ski doo would have the powerful sled.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Are we going to see the under 400 lb skinny sled this year?
That would be nice!
How about deleting the headlight pod and making a storage compartment that will actually hold a pair of goggles and defrost (possibly my next project).

Cost! New doo turbo is over $20k cdn Khaos is $17+... overpriced ... Guess some are willing to spend that much but not I ...will wait till someone is in over their head and has a fire sale ....

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Are we going to see the under 400 lb skinny sled this year?

If we don't, I'm pretty sure there are going to be a LOT of folks who ride Polaris right now that will definitely be riding ski doo next year. And they all live between about W105° and W121°

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
If we don't, I'm pretty sure there are going to be a LOT of folks who ride Polaris right now that will definitely be riding ski doo next year. And they all live between about W105° and W121°

Or they could just add boost to a 2016+ axys 800 and keep stepping all over the “game changing turbo 850 g4 circa 1994 suspension tech?”

I think you’re over valuing “added power” in the equation of sled performance.

The g4 Turbo will still need all the $$$$ put into handling improvements to be a viable alternative.

TMO delete,
15” track
Gripper ski’s
Torsion spring delete
Tall spindles

And all these things are to make it handle “axys like”

Just another word for “not as good of handling”

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Or they could just add boost to a 2016+ axys 800 and keep stepping all over the “game changing turbo 850 g4 circa 1994 suspension tech?”

I think you’re over valuing “added power” in the equation of sled performance.

The g4 Turbo will still need all the $$$$ put into handling improvements to be a viable alternative.

TMO delete,
15” track
Gripper ski’s
Torsion spring delete
Tall spindles

And all these things are to make it handle “axys like”

Just another word for “not as good of handling”

I think it's safe to say that your view from Alaska as a guy who is very competent at working on snowmobiles and doesn't care much for warranty or factory engineering is a lot different from my view from Utah as a guy who doesn't turn his own wrenches and puts a lot of value in warranty and factory engineering. There are a lot of guys out there who see the world through your lens. But there are also a lot of guys out there who see the world through my lens.

I also understand that Polaris still has the edge on handling, and that some guys feel the need to do the mods you mentioned above in order to try to close that gap. However, I wouldn't personally put any of those mods as "an absolute must". Even straight out of the box, the doo still feels pretty good, even if not quite as good as the Polaris.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I think it's safe to say that your view from Alaska as a guy who is very competent at working on snowmobiles and doesn't care much for warranty or factory engineering is a lot different from my view from Utah as a guy who doesn't turn his own wrenches and puts a lot of value in warranty and factory engineering. There are a lot of guys out there who see the world through your lens. But there are also a lot of guys out there who see the world through my lens.

I also understand that Polaris still has the edge on handling, and that some guys feel the need to do the mods you mentioned above in order to try to close that gap. However, I wouldn't personally put any of those mods as "an absolute must". Even straight out of the box, the doo still feels pretty good, even if not quite as good as the Polaris.

Fair point.

I have a couple buddies who are explicitly not wrench turners who run silber boosted axys 800’s. (Installed by local dealers 5 psi) and they just ride them.

215hp is a big jump from 165.

Definitely colors my view of adding less hp.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Any idea what the little aluminum box is?

Yes, it's the oil tank/oil pump set up for the BD Turbos (at least for Polaris sleds, don't know about the other sled brands). They went that route due to the sled's oil pump over oils the turbo. If I remember right, it cycles every 20 or 30 seconds to pump oil to the turbo.

Premium Features