• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cut tunnel, or no flap

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
I considered doing a cut tunnel with shortened flap or just no flap on my 21 Alpha MC 154

Looking for opinions

Has anyone cut their tunnel and regretted doing so or did you really like it?

No flap, have guys had cooling issues on the trails to riding areas on the alphas?

The stock flap just seems so bulky so I was looking to do something different but not spend a bunch of money.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance..

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
I recommend keeping the flap. Unless you ride zero trail. Somethings even with the flap I can get the water temp pretty warm. I too wish the flap wasn’t so baulky but I would rather save an engine

Catintree

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2009
Take the stock flap off easy, quick, and cheap. My sled will go through so much more with out it, wish I would of done it years ago.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
I guess I’m old school but doesn’t snow flap just follow in your trench while riding? I mean seriously it’s a snow flap. I think if they were a little more flexible would be an improvement

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Cut it off, nothing but a pain in the butt! Been doing this for years and never had an issue. Last weekend had a nice hangover trail ride that was about 50 miles total, hardpack ice in the morning and never had a temp light come on

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
I run it without flap, and I have curved the rear bumper upwards, similar as the Summit Expert bumper for those familiar to those.
I have no problem making this go upside down with this mod.

Alpha rearend.jpg

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I guess I’m old school but doesn’t snow flap just follow in your trench while riding? I mean seriously it’s a snow flap. I think if they were a little more flexible would be an improvement
No.
The flap holds some snow in and you end up recycling it instead of just pushing it out the back when you are off-trail.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I will no longer be giving ANY advice on tunnel cutting unless the interested party can provide footage of them in a situation where it would prove beneficial. This tunnel cutting BS is spreading worse than than COVID

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
All the guys I know here have no flaps on Cats. Works better. My son's 16 M has a flap, because he is 10 and all I can see is him doing something stupid (regular for Tater) and getting sucked into the tunnel. It keeps ripping the rivets out and is stupid and stiff, but.....Kinda don't want to see a shredded Tater. Other than for breakfast. But not my tater. Rambling.....

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Removable snowflap. Take it off on the days there’s good snow on the trail to hit the tunnel coolers, leave it in place on the days the trail trail is packed and hard.

jb800

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Currently MN
I will no longer be giving ANY advice on tunnel cutting unless the interested party can provide footage of them in a situation where it would prove beneficial. This tunnel cutting BS is spreading worse than than COVID
Not sure what advice you gave but short tunnels are not bs. I currently run a 20 155 Rmk and a 19 Alpha. Cat has always had shorter tunnels . Stock to stock my alpha will dig till it comes over on itself vs. My pro will wheelie till it sticks itself. I don't believe personally you need to cut cat tunnels shorter but poo you do to get where cat is already at. It's not a fad cause Burandts doing it. Makes a world of difference. COVID is bs though

Premium Features