• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cut my foot hoops today

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
One thing I know. Once you have spent 2 months recovering from an incident related to the hoop. You will be looking for an alternative. Also, the Doc bills will easily pay for another ride +.

C
Nov 29, 2008
One thing I know. Once you have spent 2 months recovering from an incident related to the hoop. You will be looking for an alternative. Also, the Doc bills will easily pay for another ride +.
No doc $$$ but sore knee made for uncomfortable riding for rest of the season .... pretty much a full season before comfortable again.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I suppose we're off topic, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this. Unless you're just messin' with me. The sleds CG is still the CG. WFF allows you to stop on a sidehill at any time, in any amount of steep. That's control. There's no way you can stop on a steep sidehill with a centered stance. That's out of control. It's the #1 technique taught by Burandt and Adams and what I stress to any friend newbie I bring out west.
That is completely not true. Like i tell my daughter, you can't if you say you can't. I have an alpha and kaos to ride. I ride the alpha centered up more than i do a kaos. I also do what teth air says but not all the time like the old revs. I can also lay my alpha sideways, on a steep slope, while centered up and cut acrossed it. I don't do it this way on the kaos but i bet i could. I ride a lot of standup jet skis and is really similar. Centered up isn't necessarily recommended for someone new. It is about your balance point throttle and steering. I can stop centered up. If i am going to get off it, that is a different matter. The alpha has to be way over balanced to the hill.
I used to think everyone was crazy, on the toe loops, until i got hung on my alpha for a half hour. My foot twisted which i never thought about. Real eye opener and i got lucky. My buddy would have been an hour getting to me. Took a half hour to get unstuck with the 2 of us.

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
2 days riding waist deep pow and did not miss the hoops one bit. On the contrary, I like the the freedom of movement knowing I wont get hung up if I try to do a hopover and my foot happens to be forward. Now I need to get in better shape so I can hopover. Haha.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I too have ripped my knee and have braces now. I see the appeal of getting rid of them but I do use them. I am wondering if the design of many boots are a lot of the problem? They usually have raised stitching above the top of the foot that can hook especially when you fall backwards. Not sure if you can have the best of both worlds, safety and usefulness?

C
Nov 29, 2008
That is completely not true. Like i tell my daughter, you can't if you say you can't. I have an alpha and kaos to ride. I ride the alpha centered up more than i do a kaos. I also do what teth air says but not all the time like the old revs. I can also lay my alpha sideways, on a steep slope, while centered up and cut acrossed it. I don't do it this way on the kaos but i bet i could. I ride a lot of standup jet skis and is really similar. Centered up isn't necessarily recommended for someone new. It is about your balance point throttle and steering. I can stop centered up. If i am going to get off it, that is a different matter. The alpha has to be way over balanced to the hill.
I used to think everyone was crazy, on the toe loops, until i got hung on my alpha for a half hour. My foot twisted which i never thought about. Real eye opener and i got lucky. My buddy would have been an hour getting to me. Took a half hour to get unstuck with the 2 of us.
Snow conditions have a huge impact in this regard. Deep powder and narrow front end yes you can stop mid hill in centered stance. Marginal or tracked snow is entirely another story.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
I too have ripped my knee and have braces now. I see the appeal of getting rid of them but I do use them. I am wondering if the design of many boots are a lot of the problem? They usually have raised stitching above the top of the foot that can hook especially when you fall backwards. Not sure if you can have the best of both worlds, safety and usefulness?
Well, the boots I was wearing during the incident I had were low profile pack boots. Much lower profile and less bulky than any snowmobile boot I have used. It was just a freak thing I'm sure. I really dont miss them, however, I rode a friends sled that has them and noticed I use them if they are there. Sort of weird. I'm personally better off without them.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Traction in the footwell area is the killer the 2 times I've been stuck. Once on an 11 pro
And once on my 2020 alpha. The pro had airframes and I put screws all the way up. Got stuck and ended up in a creek. Got lucky it didn't roll. My alpha, my foot twisted and nubs on outside rail were dug into my boot. Obviously they could move them up 1 inch.

Premium Features