• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cut down the tunnel on 165" before adding aftermarket rear bumper?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am looking at aftermarket rear bumpers for my 2020 165 Hardcore. For my 2015 I bought a Backwoods BMP Bumper and this time I think I will try a Smith Grade one. My question is, should I cut the tunnel down to a 154" length (or shorter) and order a 154" bumper of leave it at stock length and order a 165" bumper? I have read the tunnels are thicker on the Harcores and less prone to bending, is that a consideration in this decision? Any guidance you may have on the subject would be appreciated.

C
Sep 19, 2010
If you cut the tunnel I would think the 154 bumper will not match up correctly. You would have to trim the lower section as well to match the taper from end of running board to tail of tunnel.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I thought I saw someone made almost a tunnel cut kit that came along with their bumper?

Maybe it was this?

Last edited:
B
The taper lined up perfectly on mine all the way back just some rivet holes in the back don't I just made a template of the ears on the end of the tunnel then copied that 4.5 inches in had to cut a taper of an inch because the tunnel is thicker here then just installed my snow flap bracket and tail light pretty straight forward

beerios5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2013
east kootney
I am very happy with my smith grade. Only thing I had to do is shorten the inner tunnel stiffeners that came with it as the track was rubbing on it near the rear suspension mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys! Now that I added the Elevate kit today, it makes me wonder even more if I need to cut the tunnel since the sled will now be sitting higher out of the snow?

Premium Features