• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom Flatbeds?

L. Perry

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2015
Silver Lake in Idaho. I have one really nice all aluminum. Can powdercoat them, will try to find some pictures.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I have Seen Silver Lake. They are very nice. For the price I think I could build or adapt something comparable.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I'm in the process, I going very slow
There are lots of little things that go with it.
If you were going to make it just for sleds and nothing more life would be easy. Mine will be multi purpose. I have a stowed away giant inverter, air compressor, and tool box.
The ramp is the most important. It will slide up between the frame rails but that width isn't wide enough. So it will have to be a custom expanding ramp. Then the length too. The fuel neck, breather, and sender are in the road to make it full length.
The goose neck was another trick cause it can't hang down into where the ramp slides either

IMG_20191228_174645947.jpg IMG_20191225_040914702.jpg IMG_20191223_211149470.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
That's a great start. I would take my time too. Are you going to skin the sides or leave it open? What are your plans for the top deck?

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
When I order my next flatbed from SilverLake (motomikey), I WILL request a thin sheet of metal welded into the ramp bay to seal that off.

I LOVE my Silver Lake Manuf. flatbed. I'm on my second one.
My favorite feature is the built-in ramp bay. Don't have to store or strap ramps up on the bed.

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
@joshkoltes why not just do some short cross members on top of the frame rails, then make the ramp slide full width on top of those? Yea it might make your deck height slightly taller but who cares?
I cares, want it to look fancy. It's already quite high just being on a f 350. It's all heavy steel, I don't need any unnecessary extra weight. It's about perfect height now for working off of. The expanding ramp will be nice too, I hope

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com

That is a NICE set-up!
I didn't realize that there was another thread on the subject.
Pics of mine are in the other thread.
IDK if the pics posted are of the old one or new one, but my new one is all stainless.
I have full intentions of it lasting the rest of my life!

I could see how your sides were going to flop down to hold ski's, but that's got to be a challenge to get (and keep) that strap JUST the right length?
Mine is made for sides - as I had some sides about like yours on my old one for a few years, but I never had a back gate, although I did have provisions for one.

Apparently you have to toss your tailgate asside when you load sleds?
It doesn't appear that you can slide your ramps all the way over to the side, so does that make loading the second sled a little bit of a pucker factor?

I just have T&G boards on my ramps, so we need to be rolling when we load.
Not been an issue to date...
But when I look at ramps like yours, it looks like you could stop and re-start right on the ramps - good...
But also - it just looks like lug breakers. Sure seems like you are going to be folding lugs over all too often. No?
At least over the tubes going lengthwise?
Are the cross tubes spaced for a 3" pitch track - or whatever it is that you are running?

what kind of hinges are you guys using for the extendable sides that ride vertical when not in use and drop down to 90 degrees when in use for the 2 sleds configuration? thank you in advance. I have been going down many rabbit holes researching hinges and I appreciate leads. - JT

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
what kind of hinges are you guys using for the extendable sides that ride vertical when not in use and drop down to 90 degrees when in use for the 2 sleds configuration? thank you in advance. I have been going down many rabbit holes researching hinges and I appreciate leads. - JT
try these or something like them. I found these several years ago and they have worked very well for several projects.

I buy them through the local welding store but this is the same thing.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I have used stainless pipe and just ran a 1/2" stainless pin through it.
Only catch is that you need to open the SCH40 pipe up a bit for 1/2" pin, especially after welding.
Depending on your layout, it could be tricky to get a drill motor with reamer in there after weld, so you kind'a need to plan ahead for that.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I bought material to just make my extra side extensions removable, but Haven't built em yet.
If I leave with two I'd hope I'd come back with two. On a side note I don't need any more sleds to follow me home either

Premium Features