• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom Coolant Based Carb Heaters

J
May 24, 2017
M5, how does the carb heater stay on the carb? Also, what size is your bell on the carb heater? Just seeing if it will work for me.

M
Jan 14, 2004
There's 2 options, the most common is a tolerance fit so you heat up the heater in the oven and put the carb in the freezer overnight and slip them together, voila. Once its on there it's pretty much there to stay. The second way I have done them is to retain them with a bracket that attaches to the float bowl screws. It's a pita to make the bracket but it does work, not my first choice. I have made them for PWK 38s, 39s, Lectron 44 and Keihen FCR 4 stroke. Usually the OD of the carb bell is in the 2.5" range give or take. I have guys measure their carbs with a mic so I can get the fit perfect because the castings vary from carb to carb even within the same model of carb.

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
So I had one heater I was keeping but decided to let it go. Its sold but, I also had the parts to make one more which I did yesterday. So if anybody is interested I've got one, same deal as before, pm me.

M5

Nov 13, 2008
I bought one of the original ones you made and it has worked great. Sadly I think I am giving up on the old 2 stroke and moving to the dark side of the 450fi thumpers. Likely will be putting my heater up for sale if anyone is interested in one after M5 has sold out on his (won't take a sale away from him). It is currently on a 38mm lectron but I did have it on my stock pwk from my yz250.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Thanks for the comments, I just have one left here so if somebody wants yours no big deal, I'm not getting rich doing this, LOL. There's no denying the FI 450 is pretty easy to live with, I ride mine most of the time but the 500 rips hard and is a great tuner bike. I look at it like having a sports car for sunny days when I'm but mostly driving the minivan to work everyday (I would never own a minivan so maybe a bad analogy).

If KTM would make the 300 TPI in a close ratio trans and Yeti would make a 12" 5.5 rail spaced Free Ride in a 129 I think that would be my setup. I still like the 2 stroke for so many reasons.

M5

H
Sep 5, 2019
I bought one of the original ones you made and it has worked great. Sadly I think I am giving up on the old 2 stroke and moving to the dark side of the 450fi thumpers. Likely will be putting my heater up for sale if anyone is interested in one after M5 has sold out on his (won't take a sale away from him). It is currently on a 38mm lectron but I did have it on my stock pwk from my yz250.
still available? if so will it fit lectron?

M
Jan 14, 2004
I don't currently have any built but I do have some stock left I think. I have done them for Lectrons before so yes they will fit. I'm away from the shop until the end of the month

M
Jan 14, 2004
Fully machined and ready to install would be $160 plus shipping, if you have the interior opened up locally to fit your carb bell I can do $135 plus shipping. I had to raise the price a bit because aluminum has gone through the roof in price in the last year or so.

M
Oct 31, 2019
West Bend, WI
Some time has passed, I would like to say I would be interested in one of these carb heaters if you decide to make them again. an easier route you can go instead of a tolerance fit is set screws and an internal o ring groove. I have a plenum intake that fits on my cb750 that uses this setup and works as it should.

Premium Features