• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crappy running Axys - crank seal?

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Helping a buddy with his 17 axys rmk 800. Last year it had an occasional bog and on our last ride dropped a cylinder. He also mentioned the idle slowly decreased throughout the winter. Under the assumption the motor was toast he tore it down and let it sit all summer. The pto piston on the intake side on the corner of the skirt was worn/scratched a little and nikasil was slightly chipped. Nothing that would’ve made me guess it wouldn’t run on that cylinder. So disappointed with what I saw I figured this would be a headache as i knew the motor wasn’t the problem. He sent out the injectors has them tested and cleaned as I thought it could be a possibility. They were fine. So I helped get the motor buttoned up with new Polaris pistons and replated cylinders from millennium (not the same set, he exchanged his junk ones for newly replated ones) and let him do the rest of the assembly. With fresh plugs new relays and fresh gas fired it up. It now runs on both cylinders but not the best. Only idles 1500 rpm and hiccups a lot - it likes to pop and almost backfire throughout different rpm kinda acting like a fouled plug which it’s not. So back apart it came. Inspected the reeds those look fine. Then I look at the piston. It’s wearing already in the SAME spot with 1 mile on the new pistons. I attached. Pic. So I’m guessing air leak from a leaking crank seal. Other than that my only other guesses are TPS or fuel pump related but the pump doesn’t whine. Any thoughts? I know it’s a long read but I REALLY appreciate any new ideas. Thank you.

E14A1685-BD56-4365-9E8D-DCDA5B54EA56.jpeg

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Also to add the sled is in pieces so no can’t spray carb cleaner behind the clutch with the sled running to see if rpm changes. I didn’t start thinking the possibility of the crank seal until I saw the same wear on the piston. I’m in the process of popping the primary off to try and inspect the seal that way instead. Clutch was being a little stubborn and I had to Call it a night.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Well it is definitely looks lean on that cylinder for some reason, something has taken two pistons out. How do the tops of the pistons look? Was there any detonation detected or any signs of detonation on the piston? The oil around the seal would be concerning to me if there is no other oil around that maybe leaked out of the oil reservoir or got spilled. Look closely down at the connecting rod and see if its discolored down around the crank, possibly not getting proper oiling. If it were me I would split the cases and replace the seal and check bearings.

Premium Features