• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cracked alpha rail, but how bad?

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
What are your thoughts about continuing to ride like this. damage doesn’t seem to be into the main rail, just chipped on the bracket.

image.jpg image.jpg

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I would not worry too much...looks like it was blown out from the base. And you can see some clean spots on it where it likely failed last...the dirty spots have likely been cracked for awhile. So it failed awhile ago but didn't chip out until recently. Just keep an eye on it.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
I would not worry too much...looks like it was blown out from the base. And you can see some clean spots on it where it likely failed last...the dirty spots have likely been cracked for awhile. So it failed awhile ago but didn't chip out until recently. Just keep an eye on it.
Thanks Jim. I’ll watch it this week. Anything on the newer “updated” rail that would make it more resilient to these types of impacts?

A
Dec 21, 2018
If you ask me that's gonna break.. some sort of mechanical damage (branch or something that's been in the way when the suspension compressed). When i zoom in it looked as if the whole front pice (scissor mount) has been bushed back into the rail which has cracked.. ride carefully, it suck going fast and having the track jamb...

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Having that chipped on top is going to let water get in there and re-freeze to separate the glue over time. Replace it when you can.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
Whole rail is banana shaped now. Also noticed a cracked rear scissor on both sides. If you see your rail like in the pictures I posted, your rail is bent upwards and you are done. ? Time for a replacement 165 rail and rear scissor. If anybody is doing the swap to twin and has good rail, I’m interested. Thanks.

Premium Features